Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,299 Members 47,388 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why webOS

Tip us?

Alexandre1545
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The multitask on webos is awsome, Android multitask has nothing to with that, even the Ice Cream Sandwich multitask is not as goood as the webos one and the notification is also awsome on webos, i miss these on my Galaxy S.

palmcrash
Old
Thanks Meter 10
You had to have actually used WebOS for a few days to understand its beauty (I had Pre 1 & 2).

You can toggle radio, Bluetooth, screen, flashlight directly from the pull down menu, which is always available. Frequently used apps (the bottom route odd home screen) can be brought up from any app/screen by dragging your finger up, instead of having to press home, then select (of course, you can do that too).

True multitasking, live background app previews (apps update their screens in the background; notice ICS background apps like music have old screen shots). 2 motions to close current app and choose another open app (ICS needs 5!), 1 sideways swipe to toggle between previous and next apps (2 taps on ICS, and I frequently select the wrong one of the last two),

WebOS internals made finding, installing, and updating hacks & kennels a no brainer (CWM is brain surgery on comparison). The list goes on.

The interface and interaction were just very smooth & efficient. It just seems like everything takes longer to accomplish on Android. I'm pretty happy with my Galaxy Nexus, but a merge of WebOS and Android would be the dream phone OS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palmcrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t0x1c350
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBlog View Post
Not worth flashing in my opinion, Android is superior in every way. It's just so far behind.

I can't think of any features of WebOS that Android doesn't already have.
i agree with you , Android is a power !!!

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre1545 View Post
The multitask on webos is awsome, Android multitask has nothing to with that, even the Ice Cream Sandwich multitask is not as goood as the webos one and the notification is also awsome on webos, i miss these on my Galaxy S.
absolutely with you in this !!

keeb119
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcrash View Post
You had to have actually used WebOS for a few days to understand its beauty (I had Pre 1 & 2).

You can toggle radio, Bluetooth, screen, flashlight directly from the pull down menu, which is always available. Frequently used apps (the bottom route odd home screen) can be brought up from any app/screen by dragging your finger up, instead of having to press home, then select (of course, you can do that too).

True multitasking, live background app previews (apps update their screens in the background; notice ICS background apps like music have old screen shots). 2 motions to close current app and choose another open app (ICS needs 5!), 1 sideways swipe to toggle between previous and next apps (2 taps on ICS, and I frequently select the wrong one of the last two),

WebOS internals made finding, installing, and updating hacks & kennels a no brainer (CWM is brain surgery on comparison). The list goes on.

The interface and interaction were just very smooth & efficient. It just seems like everything takes longer to accomplish on Android. I'm pretty happy with my Galaxy Nexus, but a merge of WebOS and Android would be the dream phone OS.
+1 I miss hacking my pre on the fly. Want a new Kernal, just pop open internalz, made it so.much easier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA
a watched download never finishes

Cetus90
Old
(Last edited by Cetus90; 9th March 2012 at 08:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Palm is the grand daddy of the current smartphones IMO. Palm OS was a great OS with amnny apps (favorite was the player that let me open mkv videos).. WebOS is great follow up to it but was overtaken by android. To me webos is a polished easy(I mean real easy OS) to use it feels like something meant for a phone where as android is so complicated in comparison that half the people that have it don't even know its pontential and simply use it as a regulaar phone. Its sad to seea how webos has gone down it would have been an OS any one could usand not need a be a surngent to understand

Daughain
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Used android for years, rooted, latest roms, etc. Even swapped out radio image files. Got my touchpad after the firewall, and love webOS. As has been pointed out, everything is easier, love the multitasking.

Currently getting ready to triple boot with Ubuntu and Android simply because I need access to some very specific apps. Outside of those apps, I will still be using webOS as my daily. Still a cleaner and faster OS.

Sent from my very "non-stock" TP.

Rolfsted
Old
Thanks Meter 51
I have a Touchpad with cm9 ics and webOS for the original boot. I think webOS is smooth and fast. It's enjoyable to run it after being on android for so long.

Plus android cm9 ics has no front facing camera. So I jump into webOS to use Skype.

Best of both worlds.

Sent from my Droid Razr using XDA

civci05
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default android is getting better and better...

I also have a HP TP with CM9 now... the android versions getting better and better with every (nightly) version, but the main performance issues are too heavy. e.g. there is no dual core support, the 3D engine doesnt work at its possibilities and, maybe not as important as the over issues, the camera.

the really good thing on webOS is the awesome multitasking feature! webos also ist veery smooth an fast...very sad that there isnt (yet) a big community workin on it (but soucre seems to be published so..)

i work on both systems. but android is my main system for things like games and facebook. but for HD movies for example i switch to webos

shurane
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Meego (what Intel and Nokia were working together) was open sourced and even it is not being developed on. The real problem is that there is no momentum and impact on WebOS, compared to iOS and Android. While it may have good ideas, a lot of the problems in contributing comes from hardware compatibility. The touchpad audience is kinda small, compared to what Android is being targeted at. I imagine porting it to other phone/tablet devices would bring it's own bag of problems, too.

modulusshift
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurane View Post
Meego (what Intel and Nokia were working together) was open sourced and even it is not being developed on. The real problem is that there is no momentum and impact on WebOS, compared to iOS and Android. While it may have good ideas, a lot of the problems in contributing comes from hardware compatibility. The touchpad audience is kinda small, compared to what Android is being targeted at. I imagine porting it to other phone/tablet devices would bring it's own bag of problems, too.
Meego never had a market. Only two devices were ever released. webOS felt like it had a chance to beat iOS when it first came out, and was a flagship phone for Sprint for a time.

webOS, on the other hand, has a lot of loyal users and developers ready to help deal with any hardware problems when we get started porting. There are a good number of developers hanging over on Sprint with their Pre-'s, or even better, FrankenPre 2's. People who are willing to do that for an OS are the kind that aren't leaving you any time soon.