Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

The "all-in-one-location" XDA Skyrocket General Info/Root Method/Kernel/ROM Thread!

OP InSaiyanone

9th March 2012, 04:57 AM   |  #81  
xcrazydx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,195
 
6,306 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2thar1st

I have a bundle of info about how to do things on my android device but I try to research and find the answers as best as possible before I ask a stupid question. I have a SGSII Skyrocket and I see there are custom kernels to overclock my device. Every set of instructions I found state to wipe the cache and then select the wipe delvik option. When I get my skyrocket into downloader mode I get the wipe cache option but then the only other choices are install from sd card and wipe data\factory reset. Is there something I'm missing?

I added screenshots of my system info to answer more technical questions I know I failed to address. Thanks!

EDIT: My phone is also rooted.

Wipe dalvik is under the advanced section, and its not in download mode its in CWM
The Following User Says Thank You to xcrazydx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2012, 05:35 AM   |  #82  
icenight89's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 737
 
2,641 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrazydx

Wipe dalvik is under the advanced section, and its not in download mode its in CWM

yup, u have to flash CWM through Odin first, then u can flash kernels/roms/radios
The Following User Says Thank You to icenight89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2012, 06:35 AM   |  #83  
j2thar1st's Avatar
Member
Flag White Plains, NY
Thanks Meter: 6
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrazydx

Wipe dalvik is under the advanced section, and its not in download mode its in CWM

Ok I have the advanced mode checked in CWM but I don't see an advanced section. Am I missing something? (I have CWM premium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenight89

yup, u have to flash CWM through Odin first, then u can flash kernels/roms/radios

Could you explain a bit on that? Would I be selecting the PDA option and and getting my phone in downloader mode the way I had to when I recovered it from a soft brick? (I apologize if I'm asking stupid/noob questions. I have been searching through tons of threads and it gets a bit overwhelming trying to find the exact info I'm seeking.)
9th March 2012, 09:17 AM   |  #84  
xcrazydx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,195
 
6,306 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2thar1st

Ok I have the advanced mode checked in CWM but I don't see an advanced section. Am I missing something? (I have CWM premium)



Could you explain a bit on that? Would I be selecting the PDA option and and getting my phone in downloader mode the way I had to when I recovered it from a soft brick? (I apologize if I'm asking stupid/noob questions. I have been searching through tons of threads and it gets a bit overwhelming trying to find the exact info I'm seeking.)

You are all sorts of screwed up buddy. You use odin to root and install cwm to your phone. After that you are all done with odin. You access CWM with your phone, not your computer.

You use this to root your phone and install CWM. There are other methods, but I have only used odin. Here it is:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1340526

After following that you will have super user, CWM, and you will be rooted. To access CWM you power down your phone. Ok, phone is off, now you hold volume up, volume down, and the power button all at the same time. When the samsung logo appears release the power button but keep both volume keys pressed until CWM screen comes on. From there you will find all the options you need.

If you are already rooted and have CWM installed on your phone, skip the whole lecture on odin and proceed to power down and holding the buttons. Hopefully this helps you. Make sure you read everything and understand it first, you sound really confused, brother. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to xcrazydx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2012, 12:43 PM   |  #85  
skrambled's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Hampshire
Thanks Meter: 387
 
869 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2thar1st

Ok I have the advanced mode checked in CWM but I don't see an advanced section. Am I missing something? (I have CWM premium)



Could you explain a bit on that? Would I be selecting the PDA option and and getting my phone in downloader mode the way I had to when I recovered it from a soft brick? (I apologize if I'm asking stupid/noob questions. I have been searching through tons of threads and it gets a bit overwhelming trying to find the exact info I'm seeking.)

If you're talking about checcking Advanced Mode that means you have the ROM Manager app installed. You don't need to use Odin as stated above to get cwm (Clockwork Mod Recovery is CWM--you're calling rom manager cwm which is not correct). You already have superuser (shown in your screen shot) so you don't need to use the Odin method.

Go to rom manager and flash Clcockwork Mod Recovery through the app (it's the first option at the top). Select the T-Mobile version of SGS2 (don't worry, works fine). Then you will have cwm. You get into cwm by powering off your phone, then holding volume down and volume up at the same time while holding the power button.

DO NOT use ROM Manager to download and flash custom roms. The roms you can download through rom manager are meant for the T-Mobile variant of our phone and could bork your phone. Only flash roms through cwm recovery and only flash roms/kernels etc that are made for this device--found in the development forum here on xda.

Sounds like you have some reading to do before you try this though so you don't mess up your phone. Follow instructions closely for any rom you're going to flash. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA
Last edited by skrambled; 9th March 2012 at 12:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to skrambled For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2012, 08:40 AM   |  #86  
j2thar1st's Avatar
Member
Flag White Plains, NY
Thanks Meter: 6
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrambled

If you're talking about checcking Advanced Mode that means you have the ROM Manager app installed. You don't need to use Odin as stated above to get cwm (Clockwork Mod Recovery is CWM--you're calling rom manager cwm which is not correct). You already have superuser (shown in your screen shot) so you don't need to use the Odin method.

Go to rom manager and flash Clcockwork Mod Recovery through the app (it's the first option at the top). Select the T-Mobile version of SGS2 (don't worry, works fine). Then you will have cwm. You get into cwm by powering off your phone, then holding volume down and volume up at the same time while holding the power button.

DO NOT use ROM Manager to download and flash custom roms. The roms you can download through rom manager are meant for the T-Mobile variant of our phone and could bork your phone. Only flash roms through cwm recovery and only flash roms/kernels etc that are made for this device--found in the development forum here on xda.

Sounds like you have some reading to do before you try this though so you don't mess up your phone. Follow instructions closely for any rom you're going to flash. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Funny thing I wound up pressing on and flashed some custom kernels and even tried a custom ROM (ICS 2.3.5) and have the phone running beautifully @ 1.83 ghz. I even ran a few benchmark test and bestest at around 7000. The ICS ROM was flashed but didn't change anything on my end. * shrugs* I also flashed the GPS script and that works wonderfully. I'll add some screenshots when I get to my PC. I appreciate the info and help and yes you're right I definitely have a ton of reading ahead if me lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA
10th March 2012, 08:47 AM   |  #87  
j2thar1st's Avatar
Member
Flag White Plains, NY
Thanks Meter: 6
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrazydx

You are all sorts of screwed up buddy. You use odin to root and install cwm to your phone. After that you are all done with odin. You access CWM with your phone, not your computer.

You use this to root your phone and install CWM. There are other methods, but I have only used odin. Here it is:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1340526

After following that you will have super user, CWM, and you will be rooted. To access CWM you power down your phone. Ok, phone is off, now you hold volume up, volume down, and the power button all at the same time. When the samsung logo appears release the power button but keep both volume keys pressed until CWM screen comes on. From there you will find all the options you need.

If you are already rooted and have CWM installed on your phone, skip the whole lecture on odin and proceed to power down and holding the buttons. Hopefully this helps you. Make sure you read everything and understand it first, you sound really confused, brother. Hope this helps.

Yeah I rooted my phone when I first bought it back in December but was having issues trying to re-root after a failed flash attempt. I learned of the soft brick condition and re-flashed a stock att ROM (tar) back onto my phone using Odin a couple nights ago. I had all the pieces but the literature was confusing me and the terminology being used interchangeably contributed to me feeling like I wasn't comprehending something I should've. Thanks for your help and info. I apprecir it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA
10th March 2012, 09:05 AM   |  #88  
xcrazydx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,195
 
6,306 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2thar1st

Yeah I rooted my phone when I first bought it back in December but was having issues trying to re-root after a failed flash attempt. I learned of the soft brick condition and re-flashed a stock att ROM (tar) back onto my phone using Odin a couple nights ago. I had all the pieces but the literature was confusing me and the terminology being used interchangeably contributed to me feeling like I wasn't comprehending something I should've. Thanks for your help and info. I apprecir it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

You're welcome! Are you still needing help, or are you gonna read up for a bit? I don't know what you mean that you flashed stuff and nothing is changing on your end?
The Following User Says Thank You to xcrazydx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2012, 04:33 PM   |  #89  
j2thar1st's Avatar
Member
Flag White Plains, NY
Thanks Meter: 6
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrazydx

You're welcome! Are you still needing help, or are you gonna read up for a bit? I don't know what you mean that you flashed stuff and nothing is changing on your end?

Of all the zip files I had flashed (agps patch, overclock kernel, ice cream sandwich ROM) the only one that didn't really didn't work/change anything for me was the ics ROM that I tried. It did however remove the AT&T splash screen and replaced it with a cool looking one with "android" in blue. I can live with that but for all my trials and tribulations I now have a phone running @ 1.83ghz stable. I tried to upload some screenshots through this App but kept getting "incorrect format" errors. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my explanation in the previous post. And thanks for your help again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to j2thar1st For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2012, 05:29 PM   |  #90  
j2thar1st's Avatar
Member
Flag White Plains, NY
Thanks Meter: 6
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
I finally got to my PC to upload the screen shoots

I tried to get the Sky ICS ROM installed on my phone but all I got was the splash screen change.

EDIT: At 1.86 Ghz I was able to run my phone for the most part but it wasn't stable enough to run a benchmark test. I also ran it @ 1.8 Ghz with a higher score (6998) but forgot to take a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120309-104213.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	940672   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120309-104235.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	940673   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120309-104608.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	940674   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120310-030601.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	940675   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120309-104600.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	940676  
Last edited by j2thar1st; 10th March 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
i727, kernel, rom, root, skyrocket
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes