Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 40,181 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

Tip us?

yang.joonyong
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default cant download anything from market?

Hi,

I have successfully rooted my nook tab (8gb) but I cant seem to download any applications from the market.

Everytime I try to download for example launcher, NT hidden settings, it just says the app can not be downloaded due to an error.

anyone experienced and solved a problem like this?

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

well it eventually just worked itself out but can anyone tell me how to install apk files in nook tab? sorryy

jichuan89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yang.joonyong View Post
well it eventually just worked itself out but can anyone tell me how to install apk files in nook tab? sorryy
Glad you got it working in the end.

See post #58 in this thread.

yang.joonyong
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hmm yea I downloaded NT Hidden Setting and clicked the unknown source and I placed the apk file into my sd card and tried using root explorer to install the app but I am getting errors =(

and another thing is, is there anyway to get to android menu so I can activate other keyboards that I download?

Thank you

Farleytron
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Use adb to sideload.

"adb install <path to apk on your windows machine>' with USB debugging on from NT Hidden Settings

jokersone78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk123 View Post
My nook has been "bricked" for the past week and after trying everything and every other method, this one finally powered mine back on. Well thats about all I got it to do but hey its a start. Ive followed the instructions for windows method and get the box and read forever logo, leave it alone for a couple mins but when I power off and try to reboot I get nothing. Tried plugged in plugged out, card in card out and still no go. Much props for the Good Work nonetheless!!!
Im in the same boat my friend but im confident that eventually someone will figure it out.

jichuan89
Old
(Last edited by jichuan89; 9th March 2012 at 04:15 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersone78 View Post
Im in the same boat my friend but im confident that eventually someone will figure it out.
So there can be multiple ways your tablet is "bricked". If you flashed a bad boot partition, your tablet should not boot past the "READ FOREVER" screen (so you won't see the "by Barnes & Noble" animation); in the worst case it will power off right after the initial dark "n" screen. If this is the case, I've made an image that will restore your boot partition.

On the other hand, if you destroyed your /system partition (by itself or the boot partition as well), this won't help you. If this is the case for you, post in this thread and I can make an image that flashes the /system partition as well.

1. Download one of the following depending on your hadware / OS version:
8GB NT/1.4.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?a803src02leyfq7 MD5: 79265f4730a1b0a0131cfb7e64f0d2bb
16GB NT/1.4.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?pjbmcp7zpw9ciua MD5: 28a44b20ce497bb7a3d43219d344408d
2. Make a bootable SD card following the instructions in post #1; either option will be fine.
3. Replace boot.img on the SD card with the file you downloaded in step 1; i.e., rename the file from step 1 to boot.img and overwrite boot.img on the SD card from step 2.
4. Power off tablet.
5. Insert SD card into tablet.
6. Connect tablet to computer via USB cable. If tablet does not start automatically press the power button.

In the best case, if you have not destroyed your /system, you should be able to boot back to stock, although it should take a while to boot. Otherwise, reply with your tablet model (16GB/8GB), what you did to brick your tablet and what you see when using this method.

I really do need feedback on this so please post back regardless of whether it worked.

pfunk123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ok Ive searched and tried about everything I could of to get my 8gb NT to boot and turn back on. Your method from post 1 by far has gotten me the closest. A day old and I jumped the gun and downloaded "acclaim_update.zip" without even carefully reading. By the time I found out it was not meant for the 8gb, ive already made a card and popped it in the tablet, that was the last time I seen the screen on. Now after trying your root method I can get it powered back on, the cardboard box, and the read forever screen but no further than that.

jichuan89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ok Ive searched and tried about everything I could of to get my 8gb NT to boot and turn back on. Your method from post 1 by far has gotten me the closest. A day old and I jumped the gun and downloaded "acclaim_update.zip" without even carefully reading. By the time I found out it was not meant for the 8gb, ive already made a card and popped it in the tablet, that was the last time I seen the screen on. Now after trying your root method I can get it powered back on, the cardboard box, and the read forever screen but no further than that.
Can you try out the method in my previous post (#76)? Can you get into the factory restore interface after 8 failed reboots?

pfunk123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ok please correct me if Im wrong, download the file that you attached in your recent post for the 8gb version, the downloaded file "jichuan89_nook_restore_boot-8gb" then needs to be renamed to "boot.img", open win32diskimager and locate "boot.img" and write it to my empty fat32 formatted card?

jichuan89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ok please correct me if Im wrong, download the file that you attached in your recent post for the 8gb version, the downloaded file "jichuan89_nook_restore_boot-8gb" then needs to be renamed to "boot.img", open win32diskimager and locate "boot.img" and write it to my empty fat32 formatted card?
NO. Write out the image in post #1, for instance using Win32DiskImager. Eject your SD card, and plug it back in to the computer. Now open up the SD card on your computer and you should see a "boot.img". Replace that file with the file jichuan89_nook_restore_boot-8gb.img. Then eject the card again and put it into your tablet.