5,597,501 Members 31,370 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Mods] WebBuntu Post-Webtop2sd Hacks

Tip us?

brian88lx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Chromnium has been crashing on me as well. Ive just been using firefox. Have you created a swap partition on your sdcard to help performance?

haupman
Old
(Last edited by haupman; 4th March 2012 at 03:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I believe the basic WebTop2SD App creates a swap partition automatically. I only ran that app.

On another message board, someone wrote that TLS needs to be disabled. I can't even get to the options as Chromium crashes as soon as the options screen comes up.

Doing a search on Google seems to indicate that Chromium crashes on Ubuntu on 10.10 with no resolution.

Edit: I did disable it via command line and it still crashed.

haupman
Old
(Last edited by haupman; 5th March 2012 at 07:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I created a swap partition of 1 GB and it still crashes with the same or even more frequency.

I installed 3 different versions: 5, 6 and 10 and it still crashes with a Bus error.

I am convinced there is no way to put a stable Chromium browser on WebTop2SD and we are forced to go with FireFox, which is apparently why so little people are still using this hack anymore.

Shandry
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Does anyone tried to install omap4-ubuntu-extras?
Or gstreamer omap4 plugins to enable video acceleration?
I installed totem with gstreamer omap4 plugins but have no luck with H264 decoding. Totem does not see gstreamer0.10-plugins-base for omap4. It shows an error with stridetransform not found. Don't know how to force it to see this codecs.

ted1735
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
At one point I had Chromium 13 running smoothly. However I upgraded something wrong and borked my whole webtop. I found using debian testing and experimental worked well for resolving dependencies. The Chromium bug so to speak is resolved after version 10.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

The app is a very nice wrapper for rsync. You can manually do an rsync to the sd partition, after manually partitioning the sdcard into 3 disks, mmcblk0p1 (main), mmcblk0p2 (webtop/osh), and mmcblk0p3 (swap).
Droid Bionic - Running Purity2.3 w/ ICS- blazn' fast & WebtopHack
The Following User Says Thank You to ted1735 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

haupman
Old
(Last edited by haupman; 11th March 2012 at 05:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1735 View Post
At one point I had Chromium 13 running smoothly. However I upgraded something wrong and borked my whole webtop. I found using debian testing and experimental worked well for resolving dependencies. The Chromium bug so to speak is resolved after version 10.
I went ahead and downloaded version 13 from this link and it still crashed. I didn't attempt to resolve any dependencies after installing because I wasn't sure exactly what to do.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/2664101

I am giving up on Chromium. The goal is simply to have fast web browsing and following the steps on the below link makes Firefox just as fast as Chrome. Follow the steps in the middle of the page "Alternate Method for Broadband Users" and your Mozilla experience will be 10x better.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Firefox-Load-Pages-Faster

ig88b1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can't get this to work on eclipse 2.2, has anyone tried it?
I can move webtop to the SD card fine, it seems to work with no issues, and I can also apply the patch to it, but when I try to run webtop after I get the M logo for a few seconds and then nothing, either on the tv or on my bionic.

anyone have any ideas?

genei.09
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I've tried a couple of mbm.tar files but haven't had full success with any of them. I can verify that webtop2sd is working. I can get into terminal, and run synaptic. However I'm getting a lot of errors with dpkg whenever I try to install something from either syn or apt. Does anyone have an mbm file that works for 902 bionic?

JKASS5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does anyone have a different link to the webtop patch in the op? It doesn't work for me and I am really interested in using this. Thanks...

cellzealot
Old
(Last edited by cellzealot; 18th April 2012 at 03:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 793
I am using the same mbm.tar.bz that I originally downloaded and keep on my sdcard. It hasn't changed at all and I am currently posting this from the webtop on my Bionic on the .904 leaked update. The update does not touch the webtop partition at all and I am using Nebtop to use any HDMI instead of the hacked apks. Everything is working perfectly including gnome-panel and other mods I made after I updated to .902 are all in place.

You need to remember to run the mount commands after every reboot.

The errors with synaptic are generally due to not having done the mount -o remount,rw / in a terminal before opening the webtop after a reboot.
The post installation trigger manager can't delete files to cleanup after itself unless the root directory is mounted read/write.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond.