Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

One solution to Android Wifi "Error" or "Turning on..."

OP Cristobalmiguelo

9th October 2011, 12:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

4 posts
Hello everyone,

I found the solution on another forum (GalaxyTDM's post) and I wanted to share it over here because it's a PITA.

Symptoms:
1. None of the wifi toggle buttons work to turn on wifi.
2. When examining the wifi settings, the status will show either "Error" or "Turning on..."
3. If it sits on "Turning on..." for any longer that 2 minutes, it will probably stay in that state.
4. If it changes to status of "Error," it may work after several times attempting to turn it back on from the settings screen.

Apparent cause:
1. Memory is low on the device. Examining the RAM Manager, one can see less than about 45MB free of memory. This apparently is preventing the wifi from starting. Either that, or there is some other program or setting that has crept in and needs to be killed.

I found this to be the case on my device, memory was hovering at about 40MB free and wifi was sitting on status "Turning on..."

Solution:
1. Go into the RAM Manager and do a level 1 clear of the memory. If that doesn't do it, do a level 2 clear.

After I did a level 2 clear, about 80MB of memory was freed and wifi immediately connected and I saw the icon on the status bar.

Hope this helps.

Android 2.2.1
Galaxy S

Best,
Christopher
Last edited by Cristobalmiguelo; 9th October 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: type-o
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cristobalmiguelo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th October 2011, 02:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cochin
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Talking Thanks Dude...
had same problem in my xperia x10 mini pro... running custom cm7 v16... nw okie..
10th October 2011, 12:58 AM   |  #3  
Flag Va Beach, Va
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Donate to Me
More
Same issue, but i have 370mb of internal mem avail.
(Sprint Htc Evo) I have tried the revolutionary meth. followed steps, manually flashed, due to boot loader stating that S-On, i have superuser app, retried with same problems, but anyways that's another problem I am working on solving.
I have had the WiFi Error problem since I first tried to root a few days ago, I am going to attempt to download and install ram manager via usb. But like i stated i have 370 mb of internal memory available. Any other ideas or solutions?
23rd January 2012, 01:27 AM   |  #4  
Flag In a cyber network

45 posts
Thumbs down Not Working
Non of it working . Everytime i need to restart my phone if i want to turn on the wifi back.
25th January 2012, 12:20 PM   |  #5  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 4

90 posts
More
had a similar issue....always wondered what the problem was
1st March 2012, 02:37 PM   |  #6  
Flag Raleigh

1 posts
More
Yes!
I have a Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant) running 2.2 and it worked for me. Memory was at 45 MB. I cleaned up about 20 MB and tried again. It worked. Thanks!
9th March 2012, 09:34 PM   |  #7  
I solved my wi-fi error problem by flashing EZGINGERBREAD ROM.

Old G1 dream

EASY !
14th June 2012, 06:17 PM   |  #8  
Flag Taipei

1 posts
More
Same problem GS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrob

(Sprint Htc Evo) I have tried the revolutionary meth. followed steps, manually flashed, due to boot loader stating that S-On, i have superuser app, retried with same problems, but anyways that's another problem I am working on solving.
I have had the WiFi Error problem since I first tried to root a few days ago, I am going to attempt to download and install ram manager via usb. But like i stated i have 370 mb of internal memory available. Any other ideas or solutions?

Same issue, 700mb free on Galaxy S2. Have tried multiple ROM's incl. CM7 [2.3?],Slim [4.0.4],MIUI [4.0.3], all with the same problem. WIFI continuously says "Turning on....".

The only other 'USEFUL' piece of info I've found on this is a changing a mac address on a blade phone thread saying "data/misc/wifi folder you have a file called athSavedEeprom.bin" I have no such folder or file which may be a problem.
15th June 2012, 09:10 AM   |  #9  

1 posts
tks
thanks. useful info.
16th August 2012, 09:15 AM   |  #10  
Flag Winschoten
Thanks Meter: 34

129 posts
More
Hi guys.

Ik don't own a SII, so IDK if this works for you also.

Open your dialer and type *#*#526#*#*

Your phone will go into Engineering Mode and reload the driver.

Apologies if this is old news, but it does the trick for me !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WalkerOfTheDay For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
wifi error, wifi turning on
Previous Thread Next Thread