Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,599 Members 38,364 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Proximity sensor issue.

Tip us?

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default Proximity sensor issue.

I am having an issue with my phone not reacting correctly to the proximity sensor. When I am in call, the screen shuts off when I put the phone to my face like it is supposed to, however when I remove it from my ear the screen doesn't come back on. I tested the sensor with an app called sensor list, and it is without a doubt working correctly. I have a custom kernel installed. Could that be causing my issue, or is the software just bugged?

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,132

DONATE TO ME
Stock, rooted, unlocked, what Rom? Info would be a good starting place.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Stock rom, debloated, rooted, and incredikernel beta 6.

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
I ordered a new digitizer to replace my mildly scratched one and would like to replace the prox switch while I have it apart. does anyone have any clue where I can get a replacement? Or better yet, what is the exact switch I need. I have an old d1 somewhere, can I Frankenstein that into my rezound to make some abomination?

griffstert
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I recommend testing the sensor itself to rule out whether it is a hardware of a software issue. There are many proximity sensor tester apps in the Play Store.

Edit: NVM, it looks like you already did test it. Disregard this post.

PhantasmRezound
Old
Thanks Meter 459
This is what part the Elixir app reads on my Rezound; the phone hardware revision B rather than XA if that has any impact (likely not for this simple part, check under the battery to make sure you have a B model phone if you wish):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334857050741.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1013803  

The Following User Says Thank You to PhantasmRezound For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dyetheskin
Old
Thanks Meter 229
when you bring "her" back to life you can watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pQUn...e_gdata_player
"Takes A Freak To Please A Freak"

The Following User Says Thank You to dyetheskin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffstert View Post
I recommend testing the sensor itself to rule out whether it is a hardware of a software issue. There are many proximity sensor tester apps in the Play Store.

Edit: NVM, it looks like you already did test it. Disregard this post.
the op was from a while back, I have since got my sensor to fail the test. Thus I will replace it. I don't want to send my phone in only to be received by someone in a bad mood who will charge me 650 bucks for unlocking my bootloader. And they will send me a refurbished device that will probably have more problems than this one.

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantasmRezound View Post
This is what part the Elixir app reads on my Rezound; the phone hardware revision B rather than XA if that has any impact (likely not for this simple part, check under the battery to make sure you have a B model phone if you wish):
Thanks, I will be in touch with them to find a vendor.

krelvinaz
Old
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwaynegacy View Post
the op was from a while back, I have since got my sensor to fail the test. Thus I will replace it. I don't want to send my phone in only to be received by someone in a bad mood who will charge me 650 bucks for unlocking my bootloader.
Despite the fact that nobody has actually had that happen yet???

So you will void the warranty instead... so if you really break it, you don't have no repair option at all.

Quote:
And they will send me a refurbished device that will probably have more problems than this one.
This makes more sense... but even then there, it is not 100% you will get a refurbed unit or that you will have problems with what you get.

BTW, my stock unit doesn't turn the display on when you take your face away from the screen. I always have to press one of the volume keys to get the display back on (easier than reaching the power button)
Phone: TMobile - Samsung SM-900T Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Rooted/Stock - QI Wireless
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012) 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.4.4 w/TWRP Recovery
Droid Like Devices: Several ChromeCasts, Amazon Fire TV (rooted)
Link: ReZoundn EVO 4g LTE and HTC Droid DNA Splash Screen Web Generator