5,595,964 Members 31,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Phone 8 definitely coming to 2nd gen handsets, probably to 1st gen

Tip us?

Kenzibit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Windows Phone 8 definitely coming to 2nd gen handsets, probably to 1st gen

Wow, just read an interesting new

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-rep...-to-first-gen/

Perhaps all devices will get the Apollo update. What do you think??

prohibido_por_la_ley
Old
Thanks Meter 17
It's what I've been saying the entire time. Why wouldn't they get the update? There really isn't much difference between 1 and 1.5 Gen devices.

Dinchy87
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
yeah but what if microsoft tricks all of us, and with the apollo update comes for 3rd gen devices that are coming later this year. because of one fact, if they will "port" windows 8 to a phone, there is not enough memory (RAM) on the now available wp7 phones, they all have "only" 512 mb or 486 or 256... i think theyre are making a secret out of it because they are launching 3rd gen device that can have a windows 8 system on it. thats just a thought...

dkp1977
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinchy87 View Post
yeah but what if microsoft tricks all of us, and with the apollo update comes for 3rd gen devices that are coming later this year. because of one fact, if they will "port" windows 8 to a phone, there is not enough memory (RAM) on the now available wp7 phones, they all have "only" 512 mb or 486 or 256... i think theyre are making a secret out of it because they are launching 3rd gen device that can have a windows 8 system on it. thats just a thought...
Why should Windows Phone 8 need more RAM than Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 does? oO Windows Phone 8 != Windows 8, even if they share the same kernel, or at least parts of it.
Join the WinPhan! movement

Device: Nokia Lumia 920

Foursquare: Mark Tepper
Windows Live: m.tepper@live.de
Facebook: Mark Tepper
Twitter: BinaerForceOne
XBox Live: dKp1977
The Following User Says Thank You to dkp1977 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fuzzy John
Old
Thanks Meter 10
And if it does come to gen 2 devices, will AT&T treay it the same as they did 7740 and 8107?
Nokia Lumia 920
Acer Iconia Tab W500 with Windows 8
ViewSonic G-Tablet with TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.3
--== Retired HTC TITAN with build 8107 ==--
--== Retired HTC Inspire 4G with official Gingerbread ==--
--== Retired AT&T Tilt 2 [ROM][WWE|GER|FRA|ITA|NLD] |Jan 16| Energy™-.¸¸.·´¯ 6.5.X|29007 * Sense 2019 ==--

sure haven't
Old
Thanks Meter 33
It's not logical to think that first-gen won't run WP8.
They keep dumbing down the standards (the minimum requirements), I guarantee their 3rd gen WP8 handsets are going to be sub-par, and go after the middle of the road market.

Think less quad-core, and more feature-phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to sure haven't For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nicksti
Old
Thanks Meter 112
To say Microsoft has dumbed down Windows Phone to accomodate "feature phones" is not a true statement.

Give me the changes to the specs made to Windows Phone. Here is the list

One feature moved from mandatory to optional is camera. That would have nothing to do with low end vs high end but to facilitate businesses that do not allow cameraphones.

Another feature is the Tango 256MB. And unlike Android, there is no performance penalty from running 256MB, there is an app penalty.
Future Phone: Windows Phone 8
The Following User Says Thank You to nicksti For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pikacz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
MS can't afford to go the android way and stop supporting a bit older phones, because lots of users would walk away from their OS. i love wp7 very very much, but if i won't get the update on my mozart, i'll stop supporting them entirely
The Following User Says Thank You to pikacz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kenzibit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikacz View Post
MS can't afford to go the android way and stop supporting a bit older phones, because lots of users would walk away from their OS. i love wp7 very very much, but if i won't get the update on my mozart, i'll stop supporting them entirely
Yeah, same here!

Dinchy87
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp1977 View Post
Why should Windows Phone 8 need more RAM than Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 does? oO Windows Phone 8 != Windows 8, even if they share the same kernel, or at least parts of it.
because i have tested it, windows phone 7 uses around 120-250mb sometimes more... with normal use, wlan, and 4-5 background tasks, and gsm. windows 8 uses far more, around 500mb minimum. and not a single app is running. then run something like IE with two or more tabs open, there goes your RAM or 512mb... so that the reason why i think microsoft make it like iphone and make an whole new device, with newer specs...

the second is. that some of the 1gen. devices dont have gyroscope and some other sensors that are used now in the 2nd generation dev. and what comes till end of this year the 3rd. gen. i think they will have just betters specs than 1st. and 2nd. ge. devices. plus more RAM and better processors. better screen resolutions and more...