Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,073 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange issues with Google Maps navigation?

Tip us?

Nate2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default [Q] Strange issues with Google Maps navigation?

I was using Google Maps navigation today, and as I got to my destination, it force closed on me.

I was able to use the phone and other social networking apps after that FC incident.

On my way back home, I tried to use Google Maps navigation again. It launched, locked my device really bad, and shut my device down! I was not able to turn the device back on using the power button. Had to do a battery pull.

Since when did Android apps have the ability to shut down the device and prevent the power button from working?

Google Maps navigation worked fine for the drive back home after the battery pull.

Stock DroidX (.621 OTA updated) Android 2.3.4

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

PappaFloyd
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I was having an issue with Maps draining my battery because it wouldn't close properly, never locked my phone up to where I needed to reboot though. It would just keep starting in the background and running, even a force close wouldn't fully work.
Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

infazzdar
Old
Thanks Meter 232

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaFloyd View Post
I was having an issue with Maps draining my battery because it wouldn't close properly, never locked my phone up to where I needed to reboot though. It would just keep starting in the background and running, even a force close wouldn't fully work.
For some reason Maps is one of those applications that runs non-stop, regardless of rom or device.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Droid X -- Transformer -- Galaxy Nexus
If I helped you, consider donating!
Feel free to PM me with any questions!

PappaFloyd
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by infazzdar View Post
For some reason Maps is one of those applications that runs non-stop, regardless of rom or device.

Very true, I went into ROMToolbox under Auto Start MGR and stopped it from opening all the time, works great. No more drain!

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

friendlybiker
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Sunspot activity today caused problems with GPS systems today. Maybe the cause of your problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA

Nate2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Google blaming the Sun for my Google Navigation app locking up (on many occasions) would be like the Captain of the Exxon-Valdez/Titanic blaming the Sea for his ship sinking. LOL.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk