Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,636 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't update to ICS.

Tip us?

jakob95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Can't update to ICS.

I am running Thors v96 ICS ROM right now, and had clockworkMOD recovery. So I decided I don't care about root or a locked bootloader. I already downloaded the leaked ICS ROM the official one with the locked bootloader and all. So I renamed it to update.zip and put it in my MicroSD root, but when I press power on and volume up I go to ClockworkMod automatically, and I heard that you shouldn't install the update from their as you might get SOD. So I installed the stock bootloader from the Acer Recovery Installer app. And now when I press power up and volume up all I get is an error message that looks like this !.

castafiore
Old
Thanks Meter 33
It's not volume up but volume down, jakob95

Check through your PC (in properties of your compressed file) that the name of your leak is effectively 'update.zip' and not 'update.zip.zip'. That's an usual mistake that many people do.

jakob95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
But it should update from Thor's v96 ICS Rom right? Will it be glitchy though if I update from a custom ROM?

rdnkchevy
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob95 View Post
I am running Thors v96 ICS ROM right now, and had clockworkMOD recovery. So I decided I don't care about root or a locked bootloader. I already downloaded the leaked ICS ROM the official one with the locked bootloader and all. So I renamed it to update.zip and put it in my MicroSD root, but when I press power on and volume up I go to ClockworkMod automatically, and I heard that you shouldn't install the update from their as you might get SOD. So I installed the stock bootloader from the Acer Recovery Installer app. And now when I press power up and volume up all I get is an error message that looks like this !.
You get the SOD from the unlocked boot loader.. you can install from CWM but you will get an error of some sort saying ant install recovery but when you reboot it will install the Acer recovery.. long story short you can use CWM and not get SOD.. that comes from modified boot that you will not have.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

jakob95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnkchevy View Post
You get the SOD from the unlocked boot loader.. you can install from CWM but you will get an error of some sort saying ant install recovery but when you reboot it will install the Acer recovery.. long story short you can use CWM and not get SOD.. that comes from modified boot that you will not have.

Yes but I don't want to redownload the whole thing all over again for the unlocked bootloader version. My internet is really slow. Anyways I hope someone can reply to my comment and help me out before.

jakob95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
If I just install this one with CWM, and I get the SOD can I restore to my old ROM with my backup with CWM then?

ultramag69
Old
(Last edited by ultramag69; 10th March 2012 at 11:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 574
No, you will have the locked bootloader... It will get rid of CWM and put Acer recovery back on there. You can't then use Acer recovery as you need root access and you can't get root access easily with the locked bootloader...
Locked bootloader=no CWM...

Seems like a lot of stuffing around to me when the actual OTA release should be soon... This is only a beta release....

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 573
Just go into the development section and download flexreapers latest build. You won't be sorry and you will still have root.
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum, several other xposed tweaks
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.7.1.0

dynospectrum
Old
Thanks Meter 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
Just go into the development section and download flexreapers latest build. You won't be sorry and you will still have root.
Exactly. Flash one of the ICS based ROMs in the dev forum, don't bother with the stock ICS leak itself and you'll save yourself the trouble of losing root.

himura05
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have successful to upgrade my iconia a500 with flexreaper ics rom 8beta2, and all working well except pes2012 and jelly defender don't work at all, and the camcorder still in 3gp format, not mp4 format like the last honeycomb 3.2 that's make me sad