Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Can't update to ICS.

OP jakob95

9th March 2012, 10:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 20

374 posts
More
I am running Thors v96 ICS ROM right now, and had clockworkMOD recovery. So I decided I don't care about root or a locked bootloader. I already downloaded the leaked ICS ROM the official one with the locked bootloader and all. So I renamed it to update.zip and put it in my MicroSD root, but when I press power on and volume up I go to ClockworkMod automatically, and I heard that you shouldn't install the update from their as you might get SOD. So I installed the stock bootloader from the Acer Recovery Installer app. And now when I press power up and volume up all I get is an error message that looks like this !.
9th March 2012, 11:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 33

233 posts
More
It's not volume up but volume down, jakob95

Check through your PC (in properties of your compressed file) that the name of your leak is effectively 'update.zip' and not 'update.zip.zip'. That's an usual mistake that many people do.
9th March 2012, 11:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

374 posts
More
But it should update from Thor's v96 ICS Rom right? Will it be glitchy though if I update from a custom ROM?
9th March 2012, 11:23 PM   |  #4  
Flag Destin, Florida
Thanks Meter: 8

84 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob95

I am running Thors v96 ICS ROM right now, and had clockworkMOD recovery. So I decided I don't care about root or a locked bootloader. I already downloaded the leaked ICS ROM the official one with the locked bootloader and all. So I renamed it to update.zip and put it in my MicroSD root, but when I press power on and volume up I go to ClockworkMod automatically, and I heard that you shouldn't install the update from their as you might get SOD. So I installed the stock bootloader from the Acer Recovery Installer app. And now when I press power up and volume up all I get is an error message that looks like this !.

You get the SOD from the unlocked boot loader.. you can install from CWM but you will get an error of some sort saying ant install recovery but when you reboot it will install the Acer recovery.. long story short you can use CWM and not get SOD.. that comes from modified boot that you will not have.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium
10th March 2012, 01:04 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

374 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnkchevy

You get the SOD from the unlocked boot loader.. you can install from CWM but you will get an error of some sort saying ant install recovery but when you reboot it will install the Acer recovery.. long story short you can use CWM and not get SOD.. that comes from modified boot that you will not have.

Yes but I don't want to redownload the whole thing all over again for the unlocked bootloader version. My internet is really slow. Anyways I hope someone can reply to my comment and help me out before.
10th March 2012, 01:40 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

374 posts
More
If I just install this one with CWM, and I get the SOD can I restore to my old ROM with my backup with CWM then?
10th March 2012, 11:44 AM   |  #7  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577

4,464 posts
No, you will have the locked bootloader... It will get rid of CWM and put Acer recovery back on there. You can't then use Acer recovery as you need root access and you can't get root access easily with the locked bootloader...
Locked bootloader=no CWM...

Seems like a lot of stuffing around to me when the actual OTA release should be soon... This is only a beta release....
Last edited by ultramag69; 10th March 2012 at 11:46 AM.
10th March 2012, 04:13 PM   |  #8  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 589

1,865 posts
More
Just go into the development section and download flexreapers latest build. You won't be sorry and you will still have root.
10th March 2012, 08:25 PM   |  #9  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 363

746 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350

Just go into the development section and download flexreapers latest build. You won't be sorry and you will still have root.

Exactly. Flash one of the ICS based ROMs in the dev forum, don't bother with the stock ICS leak itself and you'll save yourself the trouble of losing root.

11th March 2012, 06:09 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I have successful to upgrade my iconia a500 with flexreaper ics rom 8beta2, and all working well except pes2012 and jelly defender don't work at all, and the camcorder still in 3gp format, not mp4 format like the last honeycomb 3.2 that's make me sad

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread