[BOOT] FIREFIREFIRE 1.3 - Replacement bootloader w/ recovery selection

Search This thread

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
kfa-mini.jpg

FIREFIREFIRE

FIREFIREFIRE is a replacement bootloader originally created by pokey9000 for the Kindle Fire. While the stock bootloader simply boots into the system, FIREFIREFIRE provides an option to boot into recovery and also enables fastboot for a short period of time. Everyone from developers to users of alternative ROMs will certainly benefit from having FIREFIREFIRE on their device.

FEATURES

Recovery Selection - As the Kindle Fire boots up, the power button LED will change from bright green to a dim green. Once it changes to a dim green, press the power button again and release (repeat a few times to be sure). The LED will then change to an orange color indicating recovery selection and boot into recovery.

Enable Fastboot - As described above, when the power button LED changes to a dim green, the Kindle Fire will enter fastboot mode for approximately 4-5 seconds. During this time, fastboot commands can be issued and the device will remain in fastboot until it is rebooted.

Write Partition Tables - During fastboot, issuing a 'fastboot oem format' command will overwrite the existing partition table with the stock table values.

HOW TO INSTALL

From stock bootloader fastboot
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin

From FIREFIREFIRE fastboot
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader u-boot.bin

From gscript - Details in the gscript thread

For a step-by-step guide on how to update FIREFIREFIRE from a previous version using fastboot, see this post by smirkis

RELEASE NOTES

1.3 - MD5: 928ae401d91963e1cb8f4dae6ca9519b

• March 11, 2012
  • Replaced the original FIREFIREFIRE boot logo with a "kindle fire android" logo
  • Shortened the fastboot delay from ~10 seconds to ~5 seconds

0.9 - 1.2

ADDITIONAL NOTES

I originally just wanted to rebuild the FIREFIREFIRE bootloader to bake in a custom boot logo for my own use. That opened the door enough for me to become interested in making some minor improvements in how it handles recovery selection. When I contacted pokey9000, he encouraged me to work on it and gave me enough confidence to begin studying the code. Although I couldn't begin to estimate a timeframe, I hope to continue working on it and build in some enhancements that would be worthy of eventually calling it version 2.0.

The bootloader is possibly the most underappreciated piece of software on the Kindle Fire. It's not overreaching to say that everything else is built on top of this foundation. Without the work of pokey9000, the XDA Kindle Fire community would not have gotten the other great developments as quickly as it did. When the next great device comes along, we will certainly need the work of talented people like pokey9000 again. If you enjoy using your Kindle Fire as an Android tablet, please consider making a donation to pokey9000.

A special thanks to smirkis for having the guts to be the first in line to flash my build on his device.

Attachments

• u-boot.zip
    118.7 KB · Views: 11,294
Last edited:

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
props to this gentleman for expanding on pokey9ks work, I love the logo and shortened delay. I love being a test dummy, thanks for the opportunity

ill update my gscript method when I get home!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Sblood86

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
Very nice; I like the logo and it works exactly as it should (guess this means I can stop trying to understand the uboot source myself for the time being lol)

ch0mch0m

Dec 21, 2011
I installed 1.0 using KF utility. Is there a quick way to update it or do I have to go through KFU again?

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
I installed 1.0 using KF utility. Is there a quick way to update it or do I have to go through KFU again?

Using fastboot is the quickest, most painless way to do it. If you have KFU, then you already have fastboot in the tools directory. I strongly urge anyone playing around with ROMs to learn how to use fastboot. It's an essential tool/skill that will get you out of trouble should something go wrong with your device. Maybe another member has a fastboot tutorial available and can provide a link.

Reactions: freefaling

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Using fastboot is the quickest, most painless way to do it. If you have KFU, then you already have fastboot in the tools directory. I strongly urge anyone playing around with ROMs to learn how to use fastboot. It's an essential tool/skill that will get you out of trouble should something go wrong with your device. Maybe another member has a fastboot tutorial available and can provide a link.

I saved this from somewhere on XDA, not sure who or what thread:
Code:
Howto flash by hand
1 Get into fastboot mode somehow. Having and older FFF from the TWRP installer is a good start. "adb shell idme bootmode 4002"
2 flash with "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin" (take out "-i 0x1949" if FFF is already installed)
2b at <waiting for device> press power 30 seconds to power down, then power up
3 disable fastboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000"
4 reboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot"

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
I just did install FFF 1.3 using KFU.

Used KFU to set bootmode to fastboot (Bootmode menu -> Fastboot).
However, windows (Windows 7 x64 EE) then complained about the driver and fastboot (and adb) didn't recognize my KF and I was stuck in fastboot mode.
I needed to uninstall the driver, reboot windows, reconnect the KF in order to get windows to reinstall the Android ADB Interface driver.

Then all was fine. Used KFU's fastboot to flash FFF 1.3 and set the boot mode back to normal.

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012

it's not realy a tutorial but it should clear things up regarding the bootmodes and how drivers and commands are related

Thanks for those crib sheets. I was hoping there was something out there that starts off answering the question, "What is fastboot?" and working up from there. While KFU and other press-this-button utilities do a good job of getting the beginner started, it's like teaching someone how to run without walking first. Then when the user gets into a bind because something went wrong, they have no idea what to do next. The General section seems to be filled with these kinds of problems. A while back, I started writing a general knowledge, FAQ style post, but it seemed too rudimentary once I got into it. When I glance at the General section from time to time, I have second thoughts about having shelved it. Maybe I'll dust it off again.

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
I just did install FFF 1.3 using KFU.

Used KFU to set bootmode to fastboot (Bootmode menu -> Fastboot).
However, windows (Windows 7 x64 EE) then complained about the driver and fastboot (and adb) didn't recognize my KF and I was stuck in fastboot mode.
I needed to uninstall the driver, reboot windows, reconnect the KF in order to get windows to reinstall the Android ADB Interface driver.

Then all was fine. Used KFU's fastboot to flash FFF 1.3 and set the boot mode back to normal.

Well, not to pick at semantics, but I think you used the tools from the KFU distribution and not necessarily KFU's menu interface. Regardless, it sounded like the original poster of the question didn't even want to bother with KFU, so actually typing some commands isn't going to be much of an option either.

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
Well, not to pick at semantics, but I think you used the tools from the KFU distribution and not necessarily KFU's menu interface. Regardless, it sounded like the original poster of the question didn't even want to bother with KFU, so actually typing some commands isn't going to be much of an option either.
No, I used the KFU batch file to change the boot mode. But I wasn't saying this is an issue with KFU, it's much rather an issue with freaking windows.

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
No, I used the KFU batch file to change the boot mode. But I wasn't saying this is an issue with KFU, it's much rather an issue with freaking windows.

I understood the part about you using KFU to change the bootmode and the part about you reinstalling drivers. My comment wasn't about either of those things. My point was that there's not a way to reinstall a new FFF from within the KFU menus. You used KFU to change bootmodes, quit out of KFU, then used the fastboot executable to do the actual installation... just as my installation instructions described. Although the fastboot executable is packaged in the tools directory of KFU, it is entirely separate from it. My intent was to clarify this point so that some other reader of this thread in the future doesn't get confused and say, "But he said I could use KFU to install it!"

Pkt_Lnt

Dec 26, 2011
SLO
I just used cmd and fastboot from the adb-sdk (winXP) to install this. Very nice! Great work.

Last edited:

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
I just used cmd and adb (winXP) to install this. Very nice! Great work.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it. Did you use dd to write directly to the bootloader partition?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you changed your post to say fastboot.

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
if you already have fff1.0, fff1.1, or fff1.2, all you need to do to install this:

first, connect your device to your computer and make sure USB is not mounted

make sure you already downloaded the new fff1.3 and copy it to your sdk folder where fastboot is located

open a cmd prompt if you on windows and cd to the sdk directory where fastboot is located, for me i typed

cd c:/sdk_tools

than go ahead and pre-initiate the fastboot command to install the new fff1.3

you should see a message saying, <waiting for devices>, now go ahead and reboot your kindle.

at startup fastboot is automatically detected and your cmd prompt should say something like

c:\SDK_tools>fastboot flash bootloader kinfauns_u-boot.bin
< waiting for device >
sending 'bootloader' (203 KB)... OKAY [ 0.057s]
writing 'bootloader'... OKAY [ 0.188s]
finished. total time: 0.246s

at this point, its still in fastboot. so issue

fastboot reboot

and u should see something like this

c:\SDK_tools>fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.002s

no need to change bootmodes, no need to use KFU, nothin.

if your pc has driver issues, avoid fastboot entirely and use my gscript method posted in the OP

Pkt_Lnt

Dec 26, 2011
SLO
That is good. Just for info, I used the commands in my post 9 above (note the "take out "-i 0x1949" if FFF is already installed" in step 2) and it works fine.

I used that to install FFF 1.0 and update 1.1, 1.2, and now 1.3 clean and quick.

The really short version is saved now for the next version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    kfa-mini.jpg

FIREFIREFIRE

FIREFIREFIRE is a replacement bootloader originally created by pokey9000 for the Kindle Fire. While the stock bootloader simply boots into the system, FIREFIREFIRE provides an option to boot into recovery and also enables fastboot for a short period of time. Everyone from developers to users of alternative ROMs will certainly benefit from having FIREFIREFIRE on their device.

FEATURES

Recovery Selection - As the Kindle Fire boots up, the power button LED will change from bright green to a dim green. Once it changes to a dim green, press the power button again and release (repeat a few times to be sure). The LED will then change to an orange color indicating recovery selection and boot into recovery.

Enable Fastboot - As described above, when the power button LED changes to a dim green, the Kindle Fire will enter fastboot mode for approximately 4-5 seconds. During this time, fastboot commands can be issued and the device will remain in fastboot until it is rebooted.

Write Partition Tables - During fastboot, issuing a 'fastboot oem format' command will overwrite the existing partition table with the stock table values.

HOW TO INSTALL

From stock bootloader fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin

From FIREFIREFIRE fastboot
    Code:

From gscript - Details in the gscript thread

For a step-by-step guide on how to update FIREFIREFIRE from a previous version using fastboot, see this post by smirkis

RELEASE NOTES

1.3 - MD5: 928ae401d91963e1cb8f4dae6ca9519b

• March 11, 2012
    • Replaced the original FIREFIREFIRE boot logo with a "kindle fire android" logo
    • Shortened the fastboot delay from ~10 seconds to ~5 seconds

0.9 - 1.2

ADDITIONAL NOTES

I originally just wanted to rebuild the FIREFIREFIRE bootloader to bake in a custom boot logo for my own use. That opened the door enough for me to become interested in making some minor improvements in how it handles recovery selection. When I contacted pokey9000, he encouraged me to work on it and gave me enough confidence to begin studying the code. Although I couldn't begin to estimate a timeframe, I hope to continue working on it and build in some enhancements that would be worthy of eventually calling it version 2.0.

The bootloader is possibly the most underappreciated piece of software on the Kindle Fire. It's not overreaching to say that everything else is built on top of this foundation. Without the work of pokey9000, the XDA Kindle Fire community would not have gotten the other great developments as quickly as it did. When the next great device comes along, we will certainly need the work of talented people like pokey9000 again. If you enjoy using your Kindle Fire as an Android tablet, please consider making a donation to pokey9000.

A special thanks to smirkis for having the guts to be the first in line to flash my build on his device.
    if you already have fff1.0, fff1.1, or fff1.2, all you need to do to install this:

first, connect your device to your computer and make sure USB is not mounted

make sure you already downloaded the new fff1.3 and copy it to your sdk folder where fastboot is located

open a cmd prompt if you on windows and cd to the sdk directory where fastboot is located, for me i typed

cd c:/sdk_tools

than go ahead and pre-initiate the fastboot command to install the new fff1.3

you should see a message saying, <waiting for devices>, now go ahead and reboot your kindle.

at startup fastboot is automatically detected and your cmd prompt should say something like

c:\SDK_tools>fastboot flash bootloader kinfauns_u-boot.bin
    < waiting for device >
    sending 'bootloader' (203 KB)... OKAY [ 0.057s]
    writing 'bootloader'... OKAY [ 0.188s]
    finished. total time: 0.246s

at this point, its still in fastboot. so issue

fastboot reboot

and u should see something like this

c:\SDK_tools>fastboot reboot
    rebooting...
    finished. total time: 0.002s

no need to change bootmodes, no need to use KFU, nothin.

if your pc has driver issues, avoid fastboot entirely and use my gscript method posted in the OP
    it's not realy a tutorial but it should clear things up regarding the bootmodes and how drivers and commands are related

Code:
    Howto flash by hand
    1 Get into fastboot mode somehow. Having and older FFF from the TWRP installer is a good start. "adb shell idme bootmode 4002"
    2 flash with "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin" (take out "-i 0x1949" if FFF is already installed)
    2b at <waiting for device> press power 30 seconds to power down, then power up
    3 disable fastboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000"
    4 reboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot"
    Is anyone else not getting the same md5 as stated in the op, I've downloaded it 3 times now and every time have gotten md5# 9e619332290df276829a9657e78fbd92?

Thanks.

u-boot.zip md5: 9e619332290df276829a9657e78fbd92
    u-boot.bin md5: 928ae401d91963e1cb8f4dae6ca9519b

You need to unzip it and flash the u-boot.bin file. Flashing the zip file into the bootloader partition would be ill-advised.