Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BOOT] FIREFIREFIRE 1.3 - Replacement bootloader w/ recovery selection

Tip us?

kinfauns
Old
(Last edited by kinfauns; 12th March 2012 at 08:14 PM.)
Developer Committee / Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 3002
Default [BOOT] FIREFIREFIRE 1.3 - Replacement bootloader w/ recovery selection

Click image for larger version

Name:	kfa-mini.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	941623

FIREFIREFIRE

FIREFIREFIRE is a replacement bootloader originally created by pokey9000 for the Kindle Fire. While the stock bootloader simply boots into the system, FIREFIREFIRE provides an option to boot into recovery and also enables fastboot for a short period of time. Everyone from developers to users of alternative ROMs will certainly benefit from having FIREFIREFIRE on their device.

FEATURES

Recovery Selection - As the Kindle Fire boots up, the power button LED will change from bright green to a dim green. Once it changes to a dim green, press the power button again and release (repeat a few times to be sure). The LED will then change to an orange color indicating recovery selection and boot into recovery.

Enable Fastboot - As described above, when the power button LED changes to a dim green, the Kindle Fire will enter fastboot mode for approximately 4-5 seconds. During this time, fastboot commands can be issued and the device will remain in fastboot until it is rebooted.

Write Partition Tables - During fastboot, issuing a 'fastboot oem format' command will overwrite the existing partition table with the stock table values.

HOW TO INSTALL

From stock bootloader fastboot
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin
From FIREFIREFIRE fastboot
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader u-boot.bin
From gscript - Details in the gscript thread

For a step-by-step guide on how to update FIREFIREFIRE from a previous version using fastboot, see this post by smirkis

RELEASE NOTES

1.3 - MD5: 928ae401d91963e1cb8f4dae6ca9519b
  • March 11, 2012
  • Replaced the original FIREFIREFIRE boot logo with a "kindle fire android" logo
  • Shortened the fastboot delay from ~10 seconds to ~5 seconds

0.9 - 1.2

ADDITIONAL NOTES

I originally just wanted to rebuild the FIREFIREFIRE bootloader to bake in a custom boot logo for my own use. That opened the door enough for me to become interested in making some minor improvements in how it handles recovery selection. When I contacted pokey9000, he encouraged me to work on it and gave me enough confidence to begin studying the code. Although I couldn't begin to estimate a timeframe, I hope to continue working on it and build in some enhancements that would be worthy of eventually calling it version 2.0.

The bootloader is possibly the most underappreciated piece of software on the Kindle Fire. It's not overreaching to say that everything else is built on top of this foundation. Without the work of pokey9000, the XDA Kindle Fire community would not have gotten the other great developments as quickly as it did. When the next great device comes along, we will certainly need the work of talented people like pokey9000 again. If you enjoy using your Kindle Fire as an Android tablet, please consider making a donation to pokey9000.

A special thanks to smirkis for having the guts to be the first in line to flash my build on his device.
Attached Files
File Type: zip u-boot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (118.7 KB, 3399 views)
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to kinfauns For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smirkis
Old
Thanks Meter 611
props to this gentleman for expanding on pokey9ks work, I love the logo and shortened delay. I love being a test dummy, thanks for the opportunity

ill update my gscript method when I get home!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium
T-Mobile G2>HTC Glacier>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>Google Nexus 4

Asus Transformer>Amazon Kindle Fire>Google Nexus 7>2013 Nexus 7

Sblood86
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 361

DONATE TO ME
Very nice; I like the logo and it works exactly as it should (guess this means I can stop trying to understand the uboot source myself for the time being lol)

AustinFire
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Is this flashable in TWRP?

ammubarak
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFire View Post
Is this flashable in TWRP?
As noted in this thread, fastboot flash shall be used.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

ch0mch0m
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I installed 1.0 using KF utility. Is there a quick way to update it or do I have to go through KFU again?

ammubarak
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0mch0m View Post
I installed 1.0 using KF utility. Is there a quick way to update it or do I have to go through KFU again?
You may use KF utility to boot into fastboot, then use fastboot flash mentioned in the header of this thread, then reboot to normal using KF.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

kinfauns
Old
Developer Committee / Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0mch0m View Post
Using fastboot is the quickest, most painless way to do it. If you have KFU, then you already have fastboot in the tools directory. I strongly urge anyone playing around with ROMs to learn how to use fastboot. It's an essential tool/skill that will get you out of trouble should something go wrong with your device. Maybe another member has a fastboot tutorial available and can provide a link.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinfauns For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pkt_Lnt
Old
Thanks Meter 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinfauns View Post
Using fastboot is the quickest, most painless way to do it. If you have KFU, then you already have fastboot in the tools directory. I strongly urge anyone playing around with ROMs to learn how to use fastboot. It's an essential tool/skill that will get you out of trouble should something go wrong with your device. Maybe another member has a fastboot tutorial available and can provide a link.
I saved this from somewhere on XDA, not sure who or what thread:
Code:
Howto flash by hand
1 Get into fastboot mode somehow. Having and older FFF from the TWRP installer is a good start. "adb shell idme bootmode 4002"
2 flash with "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader u-boot.bin" (take out "-i 0x1949" if FFF is already installed)
2b at <waiting for device> press power 30 seconds to power down, then power up
3 disable fastboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000"
4 reboot: "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot"
Remember - XDA is trying to teach you to fish, not just give you a fish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active i9295 GSM /// [ROM][WIP/Experimental][AOSP][4.3.1] Google Edition for SGS4A (Int'l) /// Gravity Box [JB]
Google Galaxy Nexus i9250 GSM /// [ROM] [AOSP] Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P] /// Gravity Box [KK]
Google Nexus 7.2013 /// 4.4.4 [KTU84P] Stock KitKat (unlocked & rooted) /// Gravity Box [KK]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pkt_Lnt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

b63
Old
Thanks Meter 457
it's not realy a tutorial but it should clear things up regarding the bootmodes and how drivers and commands are related
Attached Files
File Type: txt kfmodes.txt - [Click for QR Code] (947 Bytes, 633 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]