Use the Smartphone General forum for GENERIC posts, hacks, tutorials, questions!
If you have a question / tip / hack / trick also applicable to (most) other Smartphone models, please PLEASE
post it to the brand new General Smartphone forum
. Few Smartphone users check out the forums of other Smartphone models and, therefore, your questions / tips / other stuff will be read by a LOT more people if you post it to a general forum than in just a model-specific one.
As has already been pointed out, everything
should be posted to the new General forum
that isn’t ONLY related to the particular model. Some examples of what should be posted to the General forum and what should stay in a device-specific one:
- posts like “the HTC Vox (s710) has a very bad-quality rubber cover” (example HERE and HERE) should stay in the device-specific Vox subforum because it’s (currently - we'll see how the forthcoming HTC Wings fare in this respect) only the Vox that is affected by this problem. The same stands for problems with the bootloaders of a given model or specific ROM upgrades, ROM versions, unlocking etc. only applicable to a given model (and nothing else).
- posts like Live Messenger CAB’s (example HERE), OpenVPN hacks (example HERE), Adobe Flash hacking (example HERE) etc. should ALL be posted to the General forum because these hacks, information etc. can be used on (almost) ALL Smartphone models.
- if you have a question that you feel can be answered by other Smartphone users, do NOT post it to a device-specific forum, but to the generic one. Generic questions are “What Web browsers should I use?”, “How do I configure my e-mail client?”, “How do I install Flash on my device” and so on. ONLY post questions like “What about ROM version X.Y for Smartphone model XY”, “How do I enable HSDPA in model XY”, “Where should I get WM6 for model XY”, “I have problems with the rubber covers of my Vox”, “My Excalibur’s buttons are hard to press” – that is, questions you’re absolutely sure about belonging to model-specific forums.
Also, make sure you continuously monitor the forum because I’ll post a lot of brand new Smartphone-related information in there.
Again and again,
- POST ALL your questions / tips / hacks in the General forum if you find it can also apply to / answered by the owners of other Smartphone models
- frequently visit the new forum for new tips / questions and, last but not least, my tutorials / roundups
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
, 2006, 2007, 2008. Make sure you follow my PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE