[Q] How to root Huawei U8860(Honor) with Android 4.0

Search This thread

cymagnus

May 1, 2007
Singapore
huawei release a new version of android 4.

Tried this ROM version. As the Chinese text says, it is ladies themed with additional wallpapers and ringtones. I find this ROM contains a lot of bloatware. Can't get google contacts to sync off the bat. The phone code to unhide the google apps do not work on this version. :-(
So i flash back to the previous ICS release:)

Reactions: neoblast

neoblast

Sep 8, 2008
did you guys managed to sync calendar? the option is not even available when i log my google account, it can only sync contacts and gmail.

morpheus620

Mar 8, 2012
Cottbus
i have a problem guys.

I have this version installed:

类型: 软件
描述: HUAWEI_U8860_Android_2.3_V100R001CHNC00B876(中国渠道)该版本在之前版本的基础上优化了彩信功能。
版本: -- ( V100R001CHNC00B876 )
运行平台: --
发布时间: 2012-03-08
文件大小: 225.36MB
语言: 简体中文
适用产品: 华为荣耀Honor(U8860)

Now I can flash to any other more.

I always get this error:

Failure: OSBL°æ±¾Æ¥Åäʧ°Ü.
dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

can you help me please :(

sorry for my english

cymagnus

May 1, 2007
Singapore
i have a problem guys.

I have this version installed:

Now I can flash to any other more.

I always get this error:

can you help me please :(

sorry for my english

There are 2 methods to flash.
One is using the function in the settings menu, the other is pressing volume, volume down and power at the same time. Have you tried both?

morpheus620

Mar 8, 2012
Cottbus
yes, I did.
has brought nothing.

YEAH huawei brings a little update for 876 version and a new android 4 version

huaweidevice.com/cn/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=3884

i have android 4 on my phone :) :)

Last edited:

zulhaky

Mar 15, 2011
kemaman
I have check chinese huawei website and I found new firmware ics 10/03/2012? Anyone have test it?

Sent from my U8860 using XDA

zulhaky

Mar 15, 2011
kemaman
Add google apps to ICS 4.0.3

Download gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip at goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip and copy to sdcard

Unplug any usb connection and turn the phone completely off

Long press volume up + power button on the handset to startup you device in recovery mode

Select “Install zip from sdcard”
Select “choose zip from SD card”
Find and select "gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip"
Select "++Go Back++"
Select "reboot system now"

On dial pad type ( *147258369# ) select "Display GMS apps" and "Ok"
Reboot phone

All done

done update to new release 10/03/2012
done root my huawei
done install gapps

ALL DONE!! many thanks

***DiMaC***

Mar 23, 2011
This dial number is not working now. I have a upgraded huawei honor with newest update on this march. This trick worked before. How to show google app?

With latest firmware posted on Huawei website (U8860ICSV100R001C00B977 2012-03-10), you need root acces to install the gapps.

To get root acces and gapps, you can still use the methods described by Arnt in post #52.

The dialnumber trick is not necessary anymore, after rooting and installing gapps all GMS are there.

You can also try to update with OTA (setting--->about phone--->online upgrade), after search i got the B977 update.
After downloading i tried to install but it didnt work for me, i think because my phone was rooted.
I have now installed as discribed above and works for me, i see no difference wit previous version mybe better performace battery, we will see.

GRTZ DiMaC

Last edited:

sutriadi

Mar 12, 2012

Download gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip at goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip and copy to sdcard

Long press volume up + power button on the handset to startup you device in recovery mode

Select "++Go Back++"

Reboot phone

All done

done update to new release 10/03/2012
done root my huawei
done install gapps

ALL DONE!! many thanks

On my Honor, display message say error certificate.

hellsender

Jan 31, 2009
Dears,

Before i install the new updated firmware ( i was on ICS 4 last version ) i made a backup of the software using " all backup ".

After applying the updated firmware, i recovered the apps and have the GAPS again.
the problem that gmail only sync the mails but no contacts.

Regards

abufairuz

Nov 30, 2009
Jakarta
did you guys managed to sync calendar? the option is not even available when i log my google account, it can only sync contacts and gmail.
For those who have problems with calendar synchronization on ICS, perhaps you can use the way I use:

1. Go to the calendar
2. Go to the Settings
3. Tap/click ADD ACCOUNT
4. Tap/click Corporate
5. Insert your Google email address & password
6. In the Account setup, fill the Domain\username with full of your Gmail address, for example; oke@gmail.com, for password, enter the password you have, for server, fill with m.google.com, checklist Use secure connection (SSL) Accept all SSL certificates, just tap/click Next buttons to continue, later you can choose wether you want to checklist all the options or severals... :D

Reactions: cbr900 and neoblast

cymagnus

May 1, 2007
Singapore
I think the latest ICS has the disable/enable fast boot option removed. Thereby disanle you to go to Recovery. What's all this political nonsense of removing gapps? Huawei should really remove the "with Google" wordings from Honor's back cover as well :rolleyes:

cbr900

Jan 6, 2005
I updated using ota to the latest firmware

My mobile is not rooted and no gappz.

If I root it ... can I unroot it

Sent from my U8860 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To enable google apps on ICS 4.0.3

Upgrade to ICS 4.0.3

Download ICS 4.0.3 upgrade from huaweidevice.com/cn/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDExNTI=

Make a “dload” directory on SD card root directory

Copy the "UPDATE.APP” and "UPDATE_CUST.APP" to "dload" folder on SD card.

Long press volume up + volume down + power button on the handset to startup you device in upgrade mode.

It will reboot few times.

Delete "dload" forlder on sdcard

Root access

Download recovery image at mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7

Download su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip at mediafire.com/?burku15l62eb4te

copy su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip to the root of sdcard

Delete "dload" folder on sdcard

Open settings / application then turn off/unthick "fast boot"

Holding both the volume up + volume down + power button to startup you device. Let go when you see a pink/purple screen.

Attach the usb cable to your computer and wait until a few usb mass storage devices are detected and mounted.

Look for one that has just one directory called "image" in it. Navigate into this directory and you'll see "recovery.img" etc.

Rename "recovery.img" to "recovery.org"

copy "recovery-v8.img" to image folder and rename to "recovery.img", unmount the mass storage device (safely remove in windows) and then pull the battery out to turn the phone off

Find and select "su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip"
    Select "++Go Back++"

Select "++Go Back++"

Reboot phone

All done :)

Arnt
    The recovery image linked in post #53 named "recovery_v8.img" --> http://www.mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7
    Doesn't seem to be able to make Nandroid Backups. It seems to correctly create a boot.img and a system.img, but while creating the data.img it crashes, leaving the data.img either with a size of 0 bytes or sometimes with a few MB but corrupted. After a bit of testing I found that the problem doesn't seem to be the backup process, but just the time of how long since the boot of the recovery image. It also reboots if I don't do anything.

Is there any other recovery that works for the U8860, besides the original one and this one? I would like to have these two features from a recovery image:
    -) flashing custom stuff
    -) creating (and restoring) nandroid backups

I searched the web, but I couldn't find anything satisfactory:
    this links to the same recovery image:
    http://naw32fsystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-install-recovery-on-huawei-honor.html

and here they have another image but it doesn't seem to boot for me, if I try to boot it, it just keeps hanging on the huawei logo
    http://unleashedprepaids.com/index.php?topic=491.0
    --> http://www.mediafire.com/?lwhyfr9kgho80ap

I managed to get the dmesg output a few milliseconds before such an unwanted reboot -->
    Code:
    /root # dmesg -c
    <3>[0, swapper] [  145.652458] 
    <3>[0, swapper] [  145.652458] SMSM: Modem SMSM state changed to SMSM_RESET.
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset ch:0
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset ch:1
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:2
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:3
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:4
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:5
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:6
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:7
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:8
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:9
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:10

EDIT: Okey, I seem to have finally found a recovery that seems to work, but the problem with it its in chinese... I attach it since for downloading it from this site you first have to register and reply to the post..
    http://www.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2092884
    It's a bit easier to find your way around this recovery menue by looking at the screenshots with english text from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1465957

EDIT2: I checked the chinese forum again, and found another post that has the same recovery but with english language! --> there -->
    http://www.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2087367
    I replace the attachment file with the english version
    U8860 root

Greetings to all!
    First of all I must apologise for my bad English. Lack of practice...

I've found how to gain root access for Honor running ICS with locked bootloader.
    It is simple and ugly.
    Getting root is based on mempodroid exploit and modified n95-offsets.
    Everything was rather simple except I've got some headache while getting the conclusion :)

technical and other information
    On June 15 Huawei released firmware for CIS marked as official. Shame to Huawei for locking pinkscreen filesystem mount and many useless software. Also this firmware was really greedy for RAM. Less than 100Mb or mostly less was available after boot.

Russian community was really upset due to locked pinkscreen issue. We started root privilege search. We choose mempodroid as a primary tool. Another part was n95-offsets.
    As all of you know, n95-offsets use pattern-search scenario to find required memory offsets. Huawei (or some other company or even compiler) slightly changed source code such a way that n95-offsets didn't find necessary addresses. With the help of hexedit I've found that one (of two total for exit function) instruction was changed a little. 0xB0FFFFFF (source of n95-offsets) was changed to 0xB7FFFFFF (run-as application). Among that, while browsing binary copy I got memory address before n95-offset.

Simple code replace did the trick. mempodroid works. Root access gained.

Addresses for mempodroid usage
    Assume that you've got android SDK (just for adb), and YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DO. Rooting may violate warranty. Mind it.
    Assume you copied a recent copy of mempodroid to /data/local/tmp and started adb shell right there :)
    Code:
    shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./mempodroid 0xd454 0xaac3 sh
    $ in the end of command prompt became #.
    It means that ACCESS GRANTED! :D
    So...
    Exit code offset is 0xd454
    SUID code offset is 0xaac3

Cheers!

P.S. These adresses work for U8800 Pro also. :)
    For those who have problems with calendar synchronization on ICS, perhaps you can use the way I use:

1. Go to the calendar
    2. Go to the Settings
    3. Tap/click ADD ACCOUNT
    4. Tap/click Corporate
    5. Insert your Google email address & password
    6. In the Account setup, fill the Domain\username with full of your Gmail address, for example; oke@gmail.com, for password, enter the password you have, for server, fill with m.google.com, checklist Use secure connection (SSL) Accept all SSL certificates, just tap/click Next buttons to continue, later you can choose wether you want to checklist all the options or severals... :D
    hello, we got Root, I can not insert a link (no rights), copy the post:
    1. Set the wood on your computer.

2. We enter the engineering menu of the body. (*#*# 2,846,579 #*#*) further ProjectMenu - Background setting-Log setting - Logswitch - LOG on - turn on, return to the ProjectMenu - Damp & Log include all items (total 4 points). Exit and restart ProjectMenu of the body.

3. Connecting to a PC the "Settings" - "Applications" - "Unknown sources" - turn on, then "Quick" - disable, then "Development" - include "Debug on USB" and "left on"

4. On the PC, disable antivirus, run SuperOneClickv2.3.1. and in the upper left corner click "ROOT".

5. On the pop-up windows give the "OK", a window with a proposal where a register just turn it off.

6. The ending of the whole operation will be a few lines (about half the screen) at the end of the last word "OK"

7. Turn off SuperOneClickv2.3.1, then "Options" - "Applications" - "Development" - turn off the "Debug on USB" and "left on" turn on "Quick", disconnected from the PC, restart the body.

8. If done correctly then open desks and one of them will see the icon "Sueruser" versiya3.0.7.

9. Return to its original condition and value of LOG on Damp & Log

PS
    A small addition to the previous post, namely, after the root note two folders on the SD card and bugreports sleeplog. Remove the contents. If they continue to be replenished, then go to step 2 do the engineering menu, and then claim 9. Restart the body, clean folder on your SD card.