Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 42,414 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Development stopped: [APP] [17 January 2012] BattClock version 3.8.2 Final version

Tip us?

reidler
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hi everyone. I noticed recently that my phone WM 6.5 started acting similarly to Windows on my PC when it gets a virus or worm. It slows down to a crawl. I tapped a button and had to wait minutes for a reaction. So I wonder if there is a virus on my phone? I never heard of viruses on phones. Is there such a phenomena? If there is are there any virus protectors designed for Windows Mobile? Once I reset my phone it was ok again. Thanks for your help. Eli

reidler
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hi. Recently I started experiencing a problem where WM 6.5 just closes running apps. I don't know why this happens. I noticed that I was not getting emails and saw that the email program was not running. I started it again and soon it was gone again from the taskmanagaer list of running apps. I looked around and I think this has something to do with memory management in WM. I don't know why this problem just started. It kills the apps even though I have over 80M or even more of free memory.
Any ideas of what I can do? Are there any registry settings that need to be adjusted?
Thanks for your help.
Eli

ZuinigeRijder
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidler View Post
Hi. Recently I started experiencing a problem where WM 6.5 just closes running apps. I don't know why this happens. I noticed that I was not getting emails and saw that the email program was not running. I started it again and soon it was gone again from the taskmanagaer list of running apps. I looked around and I think this has something to do with memory management in WM. I don't know why this problem just started. It kills the apps even though I have over 80M or even more of free memory.
Any ideas of what I can do? Are there any registry settings that need to be adjusted?
Thanks for your help.
Eli
There is a limit of 32 processes max in Windows Mobile.
Note that BattClock can monitor the number of processes and also show the started/stopped processes. Maybe that gives a clue or at least you can see something has been killed?

reidler
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuinigeRijder View Post
There is a limit of 32 processes max in Windows Mobile.
Note that BattClock can monitor the number of processes and also show the started/stopped processes. Maybe that gives a clue or at least you can see something has been killed?
Oh, that sounds interesting. How can I see that information? Is it in a log file? Do I need to turn something on and where should I look to see?
Meanwhile - I told Battclock to show me the number of processes. I'm around 26 running processes (up and down). I started a bunch more apps and when Battclock showed me 32 I saw it would not open any more. It gave me a warning screen with a message that it could not start the next process.

The problem had just started but took me about a week to figure out what happened. During the problem the memory stayed high - over 90mb free and only a few applications were running (1, 2 or 3). I found a patch called AUTOCLOSEPATCH.CAB. I installed that. It had made some changes in the registry under key HKLM\System\OOM. Then the phone went back to normal again. I could start 10-12 applications at once (I was just testing. I never run so many - my main problem was just that my email program would keep getting stopped). Later I see that the registry keys in HKLM\System\OOM went back to the original numbers but still worked ok. So I think that something went bad and that the patch changed something back. I'm really not sure. I hope it stays good. I see my free program memory level hovers around 40-70 free megabytes now.

Just one of the Windows Mobile quirks I guess. I still continue to have the other problems I mentioned that once in a while the sound turns off and sometimes the accelerometer stops. I called HTC but they were not able to help. So it's RESET - RESET - RESET.

Thank you. I MISS THE BATTCLOCK UPDATES AND ENHANCEMENTS and the dicsussions in this thread.
Eli

ZuinigeRijder
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Oh, that sounds interesting. How can I see that information? Is it in a log file? Do I need to turn something on and where should I look to see?
Meanwhile - I told Battclock to show me the number of processes. I'm around 26 running processes (up and down). I started a bunch more apps and when Battclock showed me 32 I saw it would not open any more. It gave me a warning screen with a message that it could not start the next process.

The problem had just started but took me about a week to figure out what happened. During the problem the memory stayed high - over 90mb free and only a few applications were running (1, 2 or 3). I found a patch called AUTOCLOSEPATCH.CAB. I installed that. It had made some changes in the registry under key HKLM\System\OOM. Then the phone went back to normal again. I could start 10-12 applications at once (I was just testing. I never run so many - my main problem was just that my email program would keep getting stopped). Later I see that the registry keys in HKLM\System\OOM went back to the original numbers but still worked ok. So I think that something went bad and that the patch changed something back. I'm really not sure. I hope it stays good. I see my free program memory level hovers around 40-70 free megabytes now.

Just one of the Windows Mobile quirks I guess. I still continue to have the other problems I mentioned that once in a while the sound turns off and sometimes the accelerometer stops. I called HTC but they were not able to help. So it's RESET - RESET - RESET.

Thank you. I MISS THE BATTCLOCK UPDATES AND ENHANCEMENTS and the dicsussions in this thread.
Eli
In CONTENT settings screen you can configure:
- CLOCKINFO_PROCESS_INFO, Destroyed/Created processes names, prepended with resp. - and + sign, all the changes are displayed one per second, till the last change.

And of course you can also to configure to log this information.

reidler
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hi Zuinige.

I'm starting on a new project and will need to learn how to program for cell phone applications. I wonder if you can start me off. I have been programming on big machines, not even PCs. Where should I start? What do you recommend?

I don't know what language(s) cell phone applications are written in. What language did you write Battclock in? Of course it would be best to write in a language that can work on the Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile platforms. Is that possible? I understand that Battclock can not run on Android or iPhone so I wonder if that might not be possible or you would have done that. Unless it's because you had to interract with the OS and that interraction might be too different. I don't know.

The project I will be working on will be a standalone application. I don't *think* it needs to interact with the OS but since I haven't done it yet I don't know if that is accurate either.

I would appreciate if you could give me ideas on a place to start. I suppose if I need to limit it then they will want me to write for iPhone and Android. (I don't even have an Android phone).

Thanks a lot.
Eli

ZuinigeRijder
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Hi Zuinige.

I'm starting on a new project and will need to learn how to program for cell phone applications. I wonder if you can start me off. I have been programming on big machines, not even PCs. Where should I start? What do you recommend?

I don't know what language(s) cell phone applications are written in. What language did you write Battclock in? Of course it would be best to write in a language that can work on the Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile platforms. Is that possible? I understand that Battclock can not run on Android or iPhone so I wonder if that might not be possible or you would have done that. Unless it's because you had to interract with the OS and that interraction might be too different. I don't know.

The project I will be working on will be a standalone application. I don't *think* it needs to interact with the OS but since I haven't done it yet I don't know if that is accurate either.

I would appreciate if you could give me ideas on a place to start. I suppose if I need to limit it then they will want me to write for iPhone and Android. (I don't even have an Android phone).

Thanks a lot.
Eli
iPhone/iPad = iOS = Objective-C language
Android = Java
Windows Mobile = C++ and/or C#
Windows Phone = Silverlight/C#

To overcome these problems to have to write your applications for every platform, there are tools/development environment which can target more mobile operating systems.

One good one is PhoneGap, see this link

It is based on HTML5 + Javascript.

phixion35
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I know there's no further developement here of BattClock, but is there any way to have the battery temperature display in fahrenheit rather than celcius?

ZuinigeRijder
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by phixion35 View Post
I know there's no further developement here of BattClock, but is there any way to have the battery temperature display in fahrenheit rather than celcius?
Calculation of Celcius to Fahrenheit can be done using formula:

F = (Celcius * 9 / 5) + 32

In display formats settings screen you can specify Multiply = 9 and Divide = 5, unfortunately you cannot add 32. You can try to compensate the formula, because the celcius will be in a sort of range. Maybe others have a great idea?

phixion35
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The +32 add is what keeps it from being possible since it only had a multiply and divide field, but not one for adding... =/

Tags
batt, battery, clock, memory, taskbar