OP schaze

14th March 2012, 01:12 PM   |  #21  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 100

232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuDaBiDu

Tried setting the user agent from mobile to desktop and it seems to have fixed it. Switched back to mobile for testing and didn't get the ad again yet. Hopefully that helps.

Most possibly you have a cookie that prevents the ad from re-appearing. I also never see the ad twice on the same page or when having a referrer from the visited page.
14th March 2012, 01:29 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I did see the ad every time before setting the UA to desktop. Wouldn't have bothered if it had happen only once

You're totally right regarding the cookie. Just tested: Deleted cookies, set to mobile, got the ad.

Still don't know where it comes from but at least I got a workaround till there is a better solution.
15th March 2012, 05:06 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 2

28 posts
smartphone girls.. sounds hot
The Following User Says Thank You to lordzed101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2012, 04:50 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Is this just in Germany?
Hi guys

I'm from XDA's advertising partner, and trying to troubleshoot this issue. Does anyone see this issue outside of Germany?

And is it only on mobile devices?

Batsirai
The Following User Says Thank You to bchada For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2012, 09:57 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 1

29 posts
It's the same for me. Happening on my Nexua S and on my Huawei mediapad. Changing to the Desktopversion fixed it. And I'm in Germany as well.
16th March 2012, 10:41 AM   |  #26  

29 posts
for me it is only on galaxy s. I can't read xda-forums using both browsers I have on my mobile. Now I'm writing from PC. The issue is 100% reproducible on 3G from O2

(I'm in Germany)
16th March 2012, 10:59 AM   |  #27  
Flag Berlin

232 posts
More
I start to believe xda earns too much from it to do anything about it. It's now 6 days since it has been reported and 3 days since a USER found the specific source of the malicious ad. So why hasn't been done anything about it?
The Following User Says Thank You to mbirth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2012, 11:07 AM   |  #28  

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbirth

I start to believe xda earns too much from it to do anything about it. It's now 6 days since it has been reported and 3 days since a USER found the specific source of the malicious ad. So why hasn't been done anything about it?

I'm not sure if xda can do very much about this, apart from sending complains to the ad provider.
I've seen the same ad on youmobile.org a few days ago, so this problem is clearly not related to xda alone.

By the way: Didn't see any of these ads this morning, so perhaps the problem finally got solved?!
16th March 2012, 11:27 AM   |  #29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullerhamPster

I'm not sure if xda can do very much about this, apart from sending complains to the ad provider.
I've seen the same ad on youmobile.org a few days ago, so this problem is clearly not related to xda alone.

By the way: Didn't see any of these ads this morning, so perhaps the problem finally got solved?!

Correct. There's actually a post just above from our advertising partners, trying to find out more information so we can get this removed.

Unfortunately these things need traced back to the point of entry, so even though we know it's there, it isn't just a magic button press to remove it unfortunately...
16th March 2012, 01:43 PM   |  #30  
Flag Berlin

232 posts
More
Quote:

If this would be my site, I'd completely disable the specific ad provider until the problem is finally solved. Waiting until they do something about it and risking that more people get caught by that malicious subscription service wouldn't be an option for me.

Quote:

Nope, they're still there. Clear your cookies, your cache and try again.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2

Unfortunately these things need traced back to the point of entry, so even though we know it's there, it isn't just a magic button press to remove it unfortunately...

Shouldn't be that hard using the USB Debugging feature of Chrome for Android and some time. You can trace the redirections and XHR requests this should shed some light onto the source.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread