[Q] Best 3rd party GPS for Radar?

Search This thread

JWhipple

Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I've tried Telenav - not impressed, at least not enough to pay $10 a month.

Can anyone recommend any 3rd party GPS apps that are known to work with the Radar? I've heard Navigon doesn't work because of the lack of compass, but I don't have first hand experience so that statement could be wrong.

Any feedback is appreciated!

darkintragedy

Oct 14, 2011
Navigon works great and well worth the price. Plus the new version lets you download only the maps you need, taking up only about ~300mb of space.

Because of gps tracking, a compass isn't really needed. The map rotates with each turn I make.

carmonkeyboy

May 2, 2009
Does anyone know of a navigon trial version. Had copilot7 on my touch hd, stupidly assumed I could install on radar...sadly mango is not best supported os, and most devs now concentrating on iPhone and android....grrrr. Still an iPhone hater and love windows, so need a new choice. Also heard that navigon doesn't work on radar coz of lack of compass, but is shown as supported on navigon website...just want to check it out b4 I commit to buy, as UK version is staggering £72 :-/

darkintragedy

Oct 14, 2011
Does anyone know of a navigon trial version. Had copilot7 on my touch hd, stupidly assumed I could install on radar...sadly mango is not best supported os, and most devs now concentrating on iPhone and android....grrrr. Still an iPhone hater and love windows, so need a new choice. Also heard that navigon doesn't work on radar coz of lack of compass, but is shown as supported on navigon website...just want to check it out b4 I commit to buy, as UK version is staggering £72 :-/

Hmm, weird. I thought I replied to this thread already but I guess not, hah.

I can confirm that Navigon works wonderfully on the Radar, even without the digital compass. It tracks awesomely and quickly and when I turn in the car, it's able to detect via gps that I'm turning as well, and the navigation is seamless.

I also believe there is a Navigon trial, but it's only a simulation to play with routes and stuff and you can't actually use it to navigate.

awagner

Jan 31, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Have tried and own Garmin.. in some ways wish I would have gone with Navigon, but Garmin has been doing some updates..... aside from letting me download maps while on my wifi... The app is fantastic. The new update is slick. It looks to me like Garmin is developing on WP7 and that is a huge bonus... not just a token effort then poof they are gone like Intuit.

ayan

Apr 26, 2007
HTC Locations is now a full GPS app

Ok guys, here's some fresh news: HTC Locations was upgraded today to a full GPS navigation software. It includes downloadable maps of all countries, offline routing, turn by turn voice navigation in any language, speed cameras, points of interest, etc. So go ahead, upgrade and give it a try!

Having used all available GPS software (navigon, nokia drive, turn by turn, garmin etc) i must say i'm impressed with this one. This is the only GPS navigation software so far that planned some known routes exactly as i would plan them. I checked it out with Data turned off and it seems to plan routes and navigate 100% offline.

The only thing that seems to be missing, at least in my language, is Text To Speech. Also, voice navigation and speed cameras are subscription-based. They will be free for the first month and then you will be required to purchase them.

carmonkeyboy

May 2, 2009
How do you install Navigon to HTC Radar...does it have to be sideloaded to dev unlocked phone....cos i have been reading all about that, and have to say....woah...I think having just shelled out 500 for the phone, i would have expected to at least be able to do more than sync with Zune, and be forced to use live services. Perhaps I should have researched the platform more before buying. Just assumed it would be as good as all the other winmo devices that i have had

tai4de2

Feb 10, 2008

carmonkeyboy

May 2, 2009
Stealing

You miss my point.
I downloaded the navigon trial, 30 day, It says it has to be placed on memory card etc.
Downside....no memory card on Radar so, my question stands, how do you install it on HTC Radar?
I have no problem paying for decent sat nav for Radar....I had Co-Pilot on my HTC Touch Hd, and that was good. From what I have seen of Navigon, looks good also, but want to try before I spen £72 on it.
GPSOn turn by turn is fine, nice features with turn reminders flashing etc, but a 24 hour trial is hardly enough to determine whether it is worth £30.
My job requires daily driving all over the UK, and I just want to be able to put in postcode or address and forget it.

Gizumhi

Oct 15, 2010
Have tried Navigon, Turn by Turn and HTC Locations.

The best one imo is HTC Locations IIRC ~29$ for life