[REF] Known identified battery drainers

OP Entropy512

12th March 2012, 02:01 PM   |  #541  
Thanks Meter: 46

173 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

You claim now to have used BBS and CPUSpy - but there isn't a single shred of evidence in your existing posts prior to this that indicate you have used it. No wakelock lists, no indication of what your deepsleep percentages were, nothing useful. All you've done is post some stats from the stock Android battery statistics screen which are basically useless.

Fine, I will post info from BBS next time I experience the drain, I disabled Facebook notifications and disabled the automatic refresh of the status updates for the widget to see if that was causing wakelocks. I have previously posted stats from CPUSpy but didn't in this case because they weren't any good. I had forgotten to reset the timers so there were like 3 days of data in there.

So far since I made the mentioned changes, the idle seems to be extremely improved. The AOS says it's been on the battery for 4+ hrs. CPUSpy is accounting for 3h 12 min and showing 96% of that in deep sleep. About phone says battery is still at 99%.
Last edited by JustinW3; 12th March 2012 at 02:05 PM.
13th March 2012, 05:55 PM   |  #542  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 5

49 posts
More
Entropy, attached are my wakelocks.txt and dmesg.txt

I would've analyzed in excel myself but I've never done formulaic work with it, and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Total wake time: 1hr 13m
Battery Drain: 4%

CPU Spy information:
80% deep sleep 59:16
9% 200mhz 06:43
6% 800mhz
2% 1000mhz
1% 500mhz

Firmware: CheckROM RevoHD V6
Kernel: Siyah 2.6.13 (noop I/O scheduler, smartassV2 governor, underclocked 1000mhz and undervolted)
Radio: KH3

I'll try and get a longer reading by doing it overnight, but I use Sleep as An Android to wake me up in the morning and that'd skew the data heavily
Attached Files
File Type: zip adb output.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.9 KB, 1 views)
Last edited by akaleshnikov; 13th March 2012 at 06:27 PM.
14th March 2012, 09:28 AM   |  #543  
Thanks Meter: 14

183 posts
Hi guys,

while i'm reading through the thread, here is some wireshark from me. I see a little of the mentioned bug, few APR request, 2-3 IPv6 requests and huge amount of things that i cannot identify. Expect Yahoo ofc, but it does not seems to be that huge battery drain.

The problem is that at workside i get HUGE battery drain on WiFi - like 50% for 8 hours.

Can someone help me with this? Usually i have huge locks from wlan_wake and deleted_wake_lokcs.

This is with LA4/LA6.

I've identify that the biggest packages are send and received to Google and something like "CDNetworks".

Thank you in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shark_dump_1331710987.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.7 KB, 1 views)
Last edited by Spo0f; 14th March 2012 at 12:34 PM.
15th March 2012, 04:32 PM   |  #544  
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 29

221 posts
More
I've been following this thread and thanks to it have pretty much solved any issues with my phone constantly waking on 3G. With 3G on I pretty much have great battery life. With Wi-fi on my phone never goes to sleep. I've used wireshark over say a 10 minute period to try and analyze things. I see stuff, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. The biggest thing is that it appears my router/modem is continuously sending out ARP requests. It goes through what appears every single address and just continues to do it over and over and over. I don't know if this is the reason I'm not sleeping on wi-fi? I got up in the morning unplugged my phone rebooted it, reset cpu spy, and after a little over an hour of time on. Didn't touch the phone at all, I had 7 minutes of deep sleep. The rest remained at 200Mhz. I know this is the SII forum and I'm using the Galaxy Note, but hopefully you guys can give me some info. Is this just my phone or is it something going ridiculous with my wireless?

I just did a quick couple minute poll on my Galaxy Nexus on Wi-Fi and it looks like it's seeing these same ARP requests, but it looks like my Nexus at least goes into deep sleep. I added the dump from the Nexus as well. These are at different days/different times so unfortunately network activity may be different between the two. Hopefully someone can compare these and see if they have any recommendations.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip shark_dump_1331615913.zip - [Click for QR Code] (17.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip shark_dump_nexus.zip - [Click for QR Code] (11.1 KB, 0 views)
15th March 2012, 06:05 PM   |  #545  
Thanks Meter: 1,945

3,433 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duowing

I've been following this thread and thanks to it have pretty much solved any issues with my phone constantly waking on 3G. With 3G on I pretty much have great battery life. With Wi-fi on my phone never goes to sleep. I've used wireshark over say a 10 minute period to try and analyze things. I see stuff, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. The biggest thing is that it appears my router/modem is continuously sending out ARP requests. It goes through what appears every single address and just continues to do it over and over and over. I don't know if this is the reason I'm not sleeping on wi-fi? I got up in the morning unplugged my phone rebooted it, reset cpu spy, and after a little over an hour of time on. Didn't touch the phone at all, I had 7 minutes of deep sleep. The rest remained at 200Mhz. I know this is the SII forum and I'm using the Galaxy Note, but hopefully you guys can give me some info. Is this just my phone or is it something going ridiculous with my wireless?

I just did a quick couple minute poll on my Galaxy Nexus on Wi-Fi and it looks like it's seeing these same ARP requests, but it looks like my Nexus at least goes into deep sleep. I added the dump from the Nexus as well. These are at different days/different times so unfortunately network activity may be different between the two. Hopefully someone can compare these and see if they have any recommendations.

Thanks!

I didn't look at the shark dump (don't have the resources at work), but sounds like the Note has the same sucky problem the GSII does with UCKK6 - it doesn't filter out the ARP requests like it should. I fixed this by killing the services on my Win 7 network that were doing the continual broadcasts. You can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=514

If that doesn't do it, maybe someone else here will chime in, but you're probably better off in the Note forums building off each others knowledge.
15th March 2012, 06:11 PM   |  #546  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,468

13,355 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duowing

Thanks!

I'll need to look at the dumps when I get time (I've been busy lately) - but which firmware are you on?

Some bases (XXKI3, UCKK6, probably XWKK5) block the ARP filters from working right, on other bases (XWKL1, XWLA4) the ARP filters seem to work well.
15th March 2012, 06:45 PM   |  #547  
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 29

221 posts
More
I'm on the LB1 Rom for the note, I'm now running a custom Rom and I just flashed the LA4 Baseband as someone said it seems to work better with data connections. So I'm giving that a try. I saw there was a new LC1 Rom/Kernel with LB2 baseband just released for the Note. Supposedly this will be the last GB rom before ICS so I'm going to give that a try. As for 3G I checked after about an hour and a half in CPU spy and my deep sleep was I believe 96%. So I'm good as far as programs running in the background goes. At least over mobile data. Thanks for the help guys. I was looking around in the Note section and couldn't find any real topics on this.
15th March 2012, 10:01 PM   |  #548  
Thanks Meter: 12

76 posts
More
Latitude was eating through my battery, now i wonder if the drain i had on the ICS roms wasn't also due to Latitude, i signed out of latitude and disabled wifi for location.
17th March 2012, 12:38 AM   |  #549  
Thanks Meter: 9

106 posts
I keep wanting to install Skype to make use of my phone's front camera, but I know it's a wreck of an app. Better app? Or do you think since Microsoft bought out Skype recently that they will fix it?
18th March 2012, 05:50 AM   |  #550  
Thanks Meter: 46

173 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityy

I keep wanting to install Skype to make use of my phone's front camera, but I know it's a wreck of an app. Better app? Or do you think since Microsoft bought out Skype recently that they will fix it?

I wouldn't hold my breath for MS fixing Skype. Why not keep Skype and just freeze it on TiBu when you're not using it. Then if you want to use it, thaw it.

Will this work? I'm not 100% on it, can somebody else comment on this idea?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread