Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 37,646 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to install ubuntu on the Droid 4

Tip us?

therazrguy
Old
Thanks Meter 408
will this method work on motorola razr gsm?

huss22us
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cool Question

Hey.

Looks like you have a lot of fun here.
just a question, does it work with Galaxy S2 I9100 ??

BR,

Pieter19
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Greetings.

Why don't you make REAL distribution work on android phones? I mean not by VNC and android? My friend have an android tablet and made gentoo work on it.

Sorry for my bad English.

greekchampion04
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
this method should work on pretty much every phone.

as for making a real distro work... we would all LOVE it, but its very hard.

if we got one running, it would replace the android OS when running... which means making a way for the phone, sms, ect to work on whatever linux distro you are using, or not having any of that while you are in linux mode.

also for the D4 (and all other moto phones) we have a locked bootloader, making it straight up impossible
OG (Screen Issues) --> DX (Headphone Jack Issues) --> D4 --> Note II --> Note 3

Pieter19
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
My friend told me that he probably make it work on every android device and here is his topic: slatedroid.com/topic/30524-running-a-linux-distribution-on-zenithink-zt280/

ndd53
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallelf78 View Post
Ok, well I started from scratch (deleted both .img and .sh files) and it's still not working.

I have all the apps installed (and yes rooted, SU works just fine)
I used Ubuntu Installer app to download the image zip (tried both the large and small img)
I downloaded the .sh file from the first post
The /sdcard-ext/ubuntu/ folder now has two files: "ubuntu.img" and "ubuntud4.sh"
All ^M characters have been removed from .sh file
Still no joy...

Ideas? What am I missing?

In terminal, I can set SU permissions and the mount/cd commands work just fine...it's the last sh command that spits out a bunch of errors about not being able to create/find the directories.

I'm going to format the sdcard and try again...any help is appreciated.

Update: Even after re-formatting the SD and following the steps exactly, no luck!
check to make sure that the entire path

/data/local/mnt/ubun

exists. the 'mkdir' command will fail if any of the intervening dirs aren't there, so if you have

/data/local

and try

mkdir /data/local/mnt/ubun

it'll fail. you'll have to make

/data/local/mnt

first. 'ubun' is just a name; doesn't matter what you use as long as you're consistent. I changed it to 'ubuntu'; seemed clearer to me, and the 2 extra characters weren't a big deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to ndd53 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tallelf78
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd53 View Post
check to make sure that the entire path

/data/local/mnt/ubun

exists. the 'mkdir' command will fail if any of the intervening dirs aren't there, so if you have...
that was it...i manually created the directories and then the .sh was able to run without errors.

thanks everyone for feedback! ubuntu on my lapdock is much nicer than the moto webtop.
The Following User Says Thank You to tallelf78 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

booda3000
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
that was it...i manually created the directories and then the .sh was able to run without errors.

thanks everyone for feedback! ubuntu on my lapdock is much nicer than the moto webtop.
I had to do this too.
Works now.

Can anyone assist me with using the D4's physical keyboard to type into the ubuntu terminal?

Thanks BTW. This is really cool.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

@tallelf78

Do u have the 100 or the 500 Lapdock?

tallelf78
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booda3000 View Post
Do u have the 100 or the 500 Lapdock?
I have the 500, I'm still torn between the two but I guess at this point I'm stuck with it.

So your hard-keyboard doesn't work in Terminal? I don't know that I can help, mine just worked.

booda3000
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Default kb

Quote:
I have the 500, I'm still torn between the two but I guess at this point I'm stuck with it.

Have u used the usb ports much? I'm curious about the functionality of those.

So your hard-keyboard doesn't work in Terminal? I don't know that I can help, mine just worked.
What do have u have for your input settings in vnc? (When your in the Ubuntu desktop)

Also, does your Ubuntu web browser ever just-close on u?

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

[QUOTE=tallelf78;24479005]I have the 500, I'm still torn between the two but I guess at this point I'm stuck with it.

Your never stuck with a toy on XDA ;>