The Vibrant has a 4g chip (Possibly not a rumor!)

Search This thread

shrty4luv

Jun 13, 2010
Ft.Worth,Texas
this thread just caught my eye and thought i would respond,a while back i got tired of being throttle so i switch from unlimited data to 200 mb in which later i found out that the 200 mb plan was 4g...well i don't know exactly if it's really 4g or not but i can say that my phone would go from 3g to h...and i even called tmobile to reference to the plan and different reps all told me that the 200 mb was 4g...and incase some is wondering,i went out and got a wifi mobile hotspot device...

romitkin

Mar 19, 2011
this thread just caught my eye and thought i would respond,a while back i got tired of being throttle so i switch from unlimited data to 200 mb in which later i found out that the 200 mb plan was 4g...well i don't know exactly if it's really 4g or not but i can say that my phone would go from 3g to h...and i even called tmobile to reference to the plan and different reps all told me that the 200 mb was 4g...and incase some is wondering,i went out and got a wifi mobile hotspot device...

I think the "h" means HSPDA, which is 3.5G. The Vibrant can't support 4G as far as I know.

theking_13

Dec 20, 2011
Florida
The Vibrant does not support 4G speeds, plain and simple. Stop with all this false information, and the class action lawsuits. "Oh, Samsung locked my phone down to only support 3G", so? You bought it like that, you accepted it how it was. Take a seat.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

stgeorge88

Dec 3, 2009
Toronto
The Vibrant does not support 4G speeds, plain and simple. Stop with all this false information, and the class action lawsuits. "Oh, Samsung locked my phone down to only support 3G", so? You bought it like that, you accepted it how it was. Take a seat.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

OK no 4G. granted. But is the phone pentaband? Im asking cuz before I used this phone with Canadian AWS carriers Mobilicity and Wind and now switched to (WCDMA?) Rogers. 3G data connection is flawless with all carriers. Previously I thought only pentaband phones can do this (e.g., Galaxy Nexus or international Galaxy Note, or there's currently a bounty for modding the AT&T LTE Note to work on TMobile 4G) so I'm surprised that my Vibrant can do so

Tynen

Aug 17, 2009
Kirkland, WA
Someone on AndroidSPIN mentioned this and I figured it deserved it's own topic because this may be hard evidence and not speculation.

If the SGS does, in fact, have that chip- it could support 14.4 and be software locked to prevent it from accessing it. Anyone who knows more about hardware wanna take a stab at this? Thanks Steven at AndroidSPIN for bringing these facts out.

Software lock as in some firmware that doesn't change when we flashed roms?? If it was truly software like in the rom then wouldn't running an AOSP rom allow for 4g connectivity?

reuthermonkey

Mar 2, 2009
St. Louis
OK no 4G. granted. But is the phone pentaband? Im asking cuz before I used this phone with Canadian AWS carriers Mobilicity and Wind and now switched to (WCDMA?) Rogers. 3G data connection is flawless with all carriers. Previously I thought only pentaband phones can do this (e.g., Galaxy Nexus or international Galaxy Note, or there's currently a bounty for modding the AT&T LTE Note to work on TMobile 4G) so I'm surprised that my Vibrant can do so
It's quad-band 3g.

UMTS: 900/1700/1900/2100

If you're getting coverage on Rogers, it's because their network (like ATT's in the US) uses both the 1900 and 850 bands for service. You're getting service on the 1900 band. The 850 band is not available on the Vibrant though, so you may find some areas (probably more remote ones) that show 3g coverage on the map, but which you cannot access.

Reactions: stgeorge88

stgeorge88

Dec 3, 2009
Toronto
It's quad-band 3g.

If you're getting coverage on Rogers, it's because their network (like ATT's in the US) uses both the 1900 and 850 bands for service. You're getting service on the 1900 band. The 850 band is not available on the Vibrant though, so you may find some areas (probably more remote ones) that show 3g coverage on the map, but which you cannot access.

Got it. Thanks a lot for the reply!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My understanding is that the 4G also has to be enabled by T-mobile for your account.

I think that's a load of bs. If the phone has reception it will use the network.
    I don't know about 4g, but the 850 band is referenced elsewhere on the forums as a solution for Bell users on the west coast. I know my phone uses it. As for the fm radio I'm listening to it right now. I never knew it wasn't supposed to work.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

Umm.

"Sent from my GT-I9000M"

You're using a Bell Vibrant, which is nearly identical to the standard I9000 GalaxyS.
    It has 850. Doesn't have AWS.
    This forum is for T-Mobile Vibrants.

Welcome to XDA, but you're in the wrong forum.
    It's quad-band 3g.