TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Interesting article on the new ipad buyers

OP goodintentions

19th March 2012, 01:16 AM   |  #21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2008

I've got three android devices, two ios devices and one webos device. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but there's no doubt that the ios devices are better built and offer a better user experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yes, because obviously aluminum is better than modern plastics, right? It's shinier, so it's got to be better!

I bet if you had to take a bullet and you had the option of wearing a vest with either a steel or kevlar plate, you'd choose the steel plate "because it feels heavier". Yep, that's pretty much the average Apple consumer's rationale.
19th March 2012, 01:16 AM   |  #22  
Senior Member
San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 182
 
542 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2008

but there's no doubt that the ios devices are better built and offer a better user experience.

User experience would depend on the user.
I had an ipad2. I gave it to my mother after I got my TF.
I am getting better user experience out of my TF. Why? Because of the freedom and almost PC-like functionality of Android.
19th March 2012, 03:01 AM   |  #23  
tweaked's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Your Moms house
Thanks Meter: 646
 
1,154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2008

I've got three android devices, two ios devices and one webos device. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but there's no doubt that the ios devices are better built and offer a better user experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My grandmother agrees with you.

IOS is locked down, terrible looking, hard to use for web, noob fodder. I liked IOS better then cupcake, but everything after is hands down a better user experience. My opinion of course.
19th March 2012, 03:45 AM   |  #24  
Member
Flag Quebec, Qc
Thanks Meter: 4
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
I totally agree with you goodintentions, it's a big no...
There is no line when a new android go out,and no report on the news....
There is no sheep factor.
Last edited by karlr30; 19th March 2012 at 03:55 AM.
19th March 2012, 04:17 AM   |  #25  
Member
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 19
 
93 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
It's all perception
It matters little if the display is better on the new ipad vs the old or other tablets. Because what Apple understands that Google along with other Android tablet makers don't is perception. Google to my knowledge has never advertised heavily an android tablet. I think I seen like one Xoom commercial back when it first came out. But the ipad along with other Apple products are in movies TV shows etc. So the public perception is this is THE tablet to have. The ipad is marketed as almost an fashion item, it's apart of the culture. Last weeks episode of the House of Lies has a scene with the transformer in it that was the first time I'd ever seen it on TV.
Android tablets aren't marketed as must have items, so people don't see them as must have, but they constantly see the ipad.

I think Android tablets are eating into ipad's market share more than Apple likes oe they wouldn't bring it up. Also I think if the Prime had a better launch and ICS on it was rock solid with a good number of quality apps this whole conversation would very different. Just my opinion tho.
19th March 2012, 04:31 AM   |  #26  
Senior Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Meter: 351
 
2,261 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
Don't shoot the messenger guys. There's a reason why hundreds of people line up to get ipads. You may not like it, but it works for a LOT of users.

I won my ipad 2. Didn't pay a cent for it. It fell from my lap and got a dent on its side. Apple sent me a new unit. This is all part of the package with "user experience ".

With Asus, I had to send back my Transformer for defective speakers a few weeks after getting it. I had to pay to ship it to them and had to provide my own packaging. It came back over a week later with bad light bleed, and they asked me to send it back again at my expense. Then they admit that early docks have battery drain issues and said I could send it back for repair at my expense again. At what point does this tablet become an "expensive tablet"?

HP was insanely impressive when I had to send back my $150 Touchpad for a case defect. No charge shipping either way, they even sent me a box! When I received my replacement, it too had a problem, so they overnighted me another one... Free of charge. I always had a unit at hand before sending the other in. It did not disrupt my life.

User experience is way more than a customizable UI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
19th March 2012, 04:38 AM   |  #27  
Member
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 19
 
93 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2008

Don't shoot the messenger guys. There's a reason why hundreds of people line up to get ipads. You may not like it, but it works for a LOT of users.

I won my ipad 2. Didn't pay a cent for it. It fell from my lap and got a dent on its side. Apple sent me a new unit. This is all part of the package with "user experience ".

With Asus, I had to send back my Transformer for defective speakers a few weeks after getting it. I had to pay to ship it to them and had to provide my own packaging. It came back over a week later with bad light bleed, and they asked me to send it back again at my expense. Then they admit that early docks have battery drain issues and said I could send it back for repair at my expense again. At what point does this tablet become an "expensive tablet"?

HP was insanely impressive when I had to send back my $150 Touchpad for a case defect. No charge shipping either way, they even sent me a box! When I received my replacement, it too had a problem, so they overnighted me another one... Free of charge. I always had a unit at hand before sending the other in. It did not disrupt my life.

User experience is way more than a customizable UI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I can agree with this.
19th March 2012, 05:04 AM   |  #28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Not all experiences end that way. My friend took a broken iPad to the Apple Store, and they couldn't do anything for him except offer to sell him a refurb. It was a cracked screen.

With non-Apple devices, consider taking some of the $100+ you save and spending it on an extended warranty that covers any user damage. The reason Apple can replace some damaged devices is because they charge everyone the extra money. They also make money on the apps you buy, which is not something Android vendors, aside from Google and Amazon, can do, though some continue to try. Can't buy razorblades if your shaver is broken, right?
Last edited by ssl123; 19th March 2012 at 05:08 AM.
19th March 2012, 05:51 AM   |  #29  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
I have 2 TF101's an Ipad 1 and now a new Ipad. I bought the first TF101 for myself and wanted it to be perfect. But it failed. I have 3 things I use my tablet for that I want it to do well. I use Zinio for reading magazine. I use them for power points and to read PDF's. Sure the TF101 will do all those but it is no were near as good as the Ipad. On the Ipad if you import a powerpoint with animations it imports them and they function good. Sometimes you need to fix them a little. In edit mode I can jump from screen to screen fast. On the TF101 all animations are stripped out and I tried every office app I could find. I must have spent $40 on different apps and always the same results. Plus in edit mode it is very slow to move from one screen to the other, sometimes painfully slow.
Zinio is just plain smooth on the ipad and on my TF101 it is not smooth, even when I'm overclocked to 1.5.
PDF's are crazy slow on the TF101 were they are super smooth on the IPAD.

Now things I like about my TF101. I'm a hobbiest photographer and take lots of pics while on trips. I can take my TF and no laptop with me and I can use the keyboard doc to transfer pics to a usb drive and other storage devices. This I cannot do yet on my Ipad but I'm at Seagate drive to solve that problem.
I like being able to make my desktop or home page look however I want and this cannot be done on an IOS device. I really love widgets and mis those on my Ipad.

So if my Android could have done the powerpoints the way I needed, worked better with PDF's and just been smoother in many places I do not think I would have gone back to an Ipad.
I can tell you this, my new ipad loads web pages crazy fast and it is super smooth for scrolling. I have only had it 3 days and I have already done my first powerpoint on it and it was great. An my first PDF looked and worked great.
Sorry guys but in my experiance the Ipad just works and it works well.
My TF101 is going to get a new rom flashed on it maybe back to HC to make it work better. I'm really unhappy with the ICS that Asus released. twice in the last week I have woke up in the middle of the night and it is in some kind of boot loop for no reason. The last time it happened I had done a factory reset on it that night and loaded no programs and it was doing this. Sorry but Asus is screwing up right now.
I sure hope they fix things.

Brandon

Let the flames fly
Last edited by brlowe; 19th March 2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Adding more
19th March 2012, 06:37 AM   |  #30  
Member
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 19
 
93 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe

I have 2 TF101's an Ipad 1 and now a new Ipad. I bought the first TF101 for myself and wanted it to be perfect. But it failed. I have 3 things I use my tablet for that I want it to do well. I use Zinio for reading magazine. I use them for power points and to read PDF's. Sure the TF101 will do all those but it is no were near as good as the Ipad. On the Ipad if you import a powerpoint with animations it imports them and they function good. Sometimes you need to fix them a little. In edit mode I can jump from screen to screen fast. On the TF101 all animations are stripped out and I tried every office app I could find. I must have spent $40 on different apps and always the same results. Plus in edit mode it is very slow to move from one screen to the other, sometimes painfully slow.
Zinio is just plain smooth on the ipad and on my TF101 it is not smooth, even when I'm overclocked to 1.5.
PDF's are crazy slow on the TF101 were they are super smooth on the IPAD.

Now things I like about my TF101. I'm a hobbiest photographer and take lots of pics while on trips. I can take my TF and no laptop with me and I can use the keyboard doc to transfer pics to a usb drive and other storage devices. This I cannot do yet on my Ipad but I'm at Seagate drive to solve that problem.
I like being able to make my desktop or home page look however I want and this cannot be done on an IOS device. I really love widgets and mis those on my Ipad.

So if my Android could have done the powerpoints the way I needed, worked better with PDF's and just been smoother in many places I do not think I would have gone back to an Ipad.
I can tell you this, my new ipad loads web pages crazy fast and it is super smooth for scrolling. I have only had it 3 days and I have already done my first powerpoint on it and it was great. An my first PDF looked and worked great.
Sorry guys but in my experiance the Ipad just works and it works well.
My TF101 is going to get a new rom flashed on it maybe back to HC to make it work better. I'm really unhappy with the ICS that Asus released. twice in the last week I have woke up in the middle of the night and it is in some kind of boot loop for no reason. The last time it happened I had done a factory reset on it that night and loaded no programs and it was doing this. Sorry but Asus is screwing up right now.
I sure hope they fix things.

Brandon

Let the flames fly

I understand what your saying I came to Android from the first iphone that was given me, I thought it was the best phone ever. My brother had the motorola droid and I saw how easy it was for him to transfer music from the computer to his phone while I had to do everything through itunes. I strongly dislike itunes, I find it to be the least intuitive program I have ever used. I also think it wierd you have to hook the ipad to itunes to get it to work initially or to load anything on or off it. So once I got an EVO I never looked back. I'd like to have apps like flipboard, but having to do everything through itunes isn't worth it. I'm too used to my usb ports and user expandable storage that everyone always says "don't matter" There are QC, developer, and update roll out issues that Google needs to fix soon or Android tablets will continue struggling to sale.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes