No registration required

Interesting article on the new ipad buyers

OP goodintentions

19th March 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #41  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 734

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
There's been some news stories where people bought the ipad2, replace with the ipad1, and returned it to the store.

Now that the ipad2 and 3 are pretty much identical, we can expect a rash of people swapping their ipad2's for the ipad3's.

Haha.
19th March 2012, 08:19 PM   |  #42  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 917

6,876 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodintentions

Watch the following video at the following blog.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23050/...d_2/index.html

LMAO that video is awesome.

Pedestrian: "This one looks sharper"
Video Guy: "That's the old one"

I think I found a good signature!
19th March 2012, 09:09 PM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 49

185 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe

Here is a link to a website I download Sunday School lessons from. Near the top you will find the download for the PPT file and a PDF version.

Thanks for those files. They do show the current limitations/opportunities in the available Android software, if nothing else. RepliGo Reader does a fair job with the PDF when allowed to go through its precaching. Surprisingly, the best app at handling this PDF was Amazon Kindle. Of all the office suites that are installed on my tablet, none were able to show the transitions in the PPT. There could be a decent market for someone who builds a viewer that respects PPT transitions.

The PDF readers I tested were: Adobe Reader, Amazon Kindle, ezPDF Reader, Kingsoft Office, PDF to Go, Perfect Viewer, Polaris Office, Aldiko Reader, RepliGo Reader, Smart Office 2.
The office suites I have are: Kingsoft Office, Polaris Office, Documents to Go, Smart Office 2. I also have Google Docs and QuickOffice on another tablet, but did not test those.

I have to mention though that those two files are incredibly unoptimized. There are two layers of graphics just to make that blue background, and then each picture is at least half a meg in size. I tested converting some of the graphics and found that I could reduce their footprints to at least 1/6th of their originals without losing any perceivable quality. The reason the PDF readers have a hard time with the file is because each page is about 1MB or more to load. Even my laptop has to get off power-saving mode to display the PPT slideshow. However, the Kindle app, which handles the file without sweating, shows that it is still doable.
19th March 2012, 09:54 PM   |  #44  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
I'm sure they are not optimized. I do not think they are done by a pro.
The point is they work great on an Ipad 1 but not on a TF101, even if I overclock they were still slow. I would expect them to be at least as fast.
I hope Android catches up and passes Apple but at this point the Ipad is the winner for me.
One more observation, I went to bed lastnight with my ipad at 75% battery and woke up this morning with 74%, the sleep works way better on an ipad. My TF101 will loose a lot of battery overnight unless I do a full shutdown. I think 10-15% overnight was the best I could do.
19th March 2012, 09:58 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 49

185 posts
Yes, I realize that point, which is why I pointed out the performance of the Kindle app which indicates that it is more of an individual software implementation/development problem than a problem with the Android OS itself.

Your battery life issue is something separate. Probably some background service(s) running wild. I lose maybe 3% overnight. Not sure exactly. It's not significant enough for me to keep track of.
Last edited by ssl123; 19th March 2012 at 10:02 PM.
19th March 2012, 10:25 PM   |  #46  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
I'm sure it is all software related. The hardware specs of the Transformers should blow away all ipads. I wish the developers would spend more time making better apps for Android but I think they are spending more time on Ipad apps because they have more customers.
It always bugged me that there was some great stuff out there for Android but it was not compatible with my TF101. I think that too pushed me back to an ipad.
19th March 2012, 10:26 PM   |  #47  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 917

6,876 posts
Donate to Me
More
Using the latest official ICS rom, I'm getting stellar battery life. I haven't used it in a week, picked it up and still had ~80% battery left.

ICS makes it feel like a new tablet... and I was worried it wouldn't run well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
19th March 2012, 11:31 PM   |  #48  
Thanks Meter: 221

2,841 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe

I'm sure they are not optimized. I do not think they are done by a pro.
The point is they work great on an Ipad 1 but not on a TF101, even if I overclock they were still slow. I would expect them to be at least as fast.
I hope Android catches up and passes Apple but at this point the Ipad is the winner for me.
One more observation, I went to bed lastnight with my ipad at 75% battery and woke up this morning with 74%, the sleep works way better on an ipad. My TF101 will loose a lot of battery overnight unless I do a full shutdown. I think 10-15% overnight was the best I could do.

Haven't checked on ICS...but on HC, I was was getting 1-2% drain in nearly 14 hours. Yup...pick up the TF late in the morning...and battery is at 99%. I was very impressed. Consistently too...so I guess that's why I never really ckeded on ICS. .
The Following User Says Thank You to SiNJiN76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2012, 05:30 AM   |  #49  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 57

863 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNJiN76

Haven't checked on ICS...but on HC, I was was getting 1-2% drain in nearly 14 hours. Yup...pick up the TF late in the morning...and battery is at 99%. I was very impressed. Consistently too...so I guess that's why I never really ckeded on ICS. .

same here. mine last days i watched TV shows on it at school and do some work
also mine drain 1 or 2 % as well. currently running ICS rom kang or whatever 1.5
i dont want any new or old ipad. my sister got an ipad 2 and my cousin got the new one. my sister had to jailbreak hers in other to customize it she cant install a custom keyboard FFS lmfao
Last edited by TheUndertaker21; 20th March 2012 at 05:35 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread