A serious Question for us Android tablet users!

Search This thread

chatch15117

Jun 16, 2011
Stopped right there. Do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you start an argument off like that?

If you had played with one of the early Windows 8 builds, whether it be the Dev Editition or the Consumer Preview, you would've quickly realized that Windows 8 provides the same exact desktop experience as Windows 7 / Vista.

Like I said earlier in the thread:

STOP RIGHT THERE

ANDROID POOOLIIICEE

lol

solom01

Oct 29, 2010
Well, since I've been using Windows 8 since it came out on an Acer W500, I've actually gotten to like it quite a bit. It actually has made this unit (which is not too powerful with an AMD C-50 and 2gb of ram) very fast to boot and use, and I've gotten used to the somewhat schizo nature of the OS. I have had a proliferation of tablets (iPad, Transformer, NookColor, Acer W500) and was looking for one unit that would be fast to use but give me the opportunity to use real programs when needed and Windows 8 may be it. I don't mind paying about $1,000 one time if it can replace a lap top and a bunch of tablets. Since this is a preview it still has a few bugs (though not many on the W500) but compared to iOS or Android it runs amazingly well and I don't have to worry about not having flash, not finding an "app" to do something, or having to depend on a vendor like Asus to release an update. Before *****ing too much about Windows 8 people should really try it with an open mind on a touch tablet. I like it enough that I've decided to sell my Transformer when it comes back from RMA (it's the third or fourth time, I can't even remember anymore), the iPad and just try using the W500 for a while.

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012
To me tablet technology is the next generation of human interaction with his/her toys and machines, the main advantage being portability and weight. That in itself is one reason Windows 8 is migrating from desktop and laptop. But like Apple and PC, Explorer and Firefox, Windows and Android will coexist and will benefit the users through constant innovation and competition. The world does not need a monopoly, what Microsoft and Google should do is put their heads together to redefine the user interface that will make the tablet a better tool that will replace the old and obsolete methods of user interaction.

Reactions: chazybaz13

darkstar107

Feb 22, 2012
Microsoft is too late to the tablet party IMO. While there will be some people purchasing them, it's not going to take anything over.

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012
Microsoft is too late to the tablet party IMO. While there will be some people purchasing them, it's not going to take anything over.
It's never too late, high tech evolves almost daily. Dangle the Dollars to the Devs and you've got a Deal! Businesswise, the tablet makers will take on whichever OS can finance the new hardware/software. And don't underestimate Bill's ego, he's not going to let Android be the Windows Goliath killer. :D

lacrossev

Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
Im curious as to whether this will mean a win8 version of the transformer will let me right click the touchpad or mouse and get....the right click menu i.e. long press on android.

They already put the option to change the behavior of the right mouse and middle mouse in ICS, but no option to have to be long press.

Other than that, we've seen competing techs being "taken over" plenty of times, but that was for stuff that was either too expensive, failed to gain traction, or is clearly inferior.

Android isn't going away, its not as popular as iOS (or is it? i'm not following the numbers), has its own share of problems, but its not just going to die because win8 comes out. MS has a bit of catching up to do i think before its in a position to kill anyone.

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012
Im curious as to whether this will mean a win8 version of the transformer will let me right click the touchpad or mouse and get....the right click menu i.e. long press on android.

They already put the option to change the behavior of the right mouse and middle mouse in ICS, but no option to have to be long press.

Other than that, we've seen competing techs being "taken over" plenty of times, but that was for stuff that was either too expensive, failed to gain traction, or is clearly inferior.

Android isn't going away, its not as popular as iOS (or is it? i'm not following the numbers), has its own share of problems, but its not just going to die because win8 comes out. MS has a bit of catching up to do i think before its in a position to kill anyone.
Android actually allows for 256 multi touches so it's possible to develop a myriad of inputs from various sources. But for now, a virtual mouse with at least four buttons (2 left, cursor, 2 right) can be implemented. Unlike the phone, the tablet will require a more sophisticated interface on future devices with large screens serving as complete workstations that provide graphics oriented applications like cad, multimedia and medical imaging. The days of the venerable mouse is numbered.

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
I thought about it to get a WIN8 tablet because I thought it would be nice to have the functionality of a "real" OS on a tablet.

However I decided against it. And it was a good decision. The TF101 with ICS is works very nice beside those ****ing reboots when it enters deeps sleep....

The two main reasons why I decided against Win8 are.

1. Win 8 ARM devices will have locked bootloaders.

It's my device. I payed for it. So I decide which OS I'm running on it.

2. Win8 Won't be that functional on ARM devices because a lot of the x86/x64 programs won't run on them.
Android has the advantage here. It's already a established mobile OS which a huge number of apps which are getting better and better by the day.
It will take quite some time to make the normal windows programs usable on a Win8 ARM device. So why leaving a already functional ecosystem for something which will probably somewhere in the future be a good mobile OS.

Last edited:

solom01

Oct 29, 2010
You may be right, but here's what history has shown:

(1) Early 1980's, Apple has the home PC market - educational market, than IBM comes in with MS-DOS, in quick order Apple was relegated to a nitch market in the PC world (even today Mac sales barely hit 6% of total PC sales).

(2) A bit later WordPerfect owns the word processing market, everyone laughs at the first version of Microsoft Word.

(3) Netscape had over 90% of the browser market. People laughed at Internet Explorer.

(4) Palm and Symbian were the first big names in Smartphone OS. Windows Mobile was seen as hopeless, but before they lost interest, stopped trying and iOS they had pretty much crushed Palm and Symbian in the US.

There are also tons of times that Microsoft failed. All I'm saying is that they have tons of money and patience, so when they want to get market share and stay in a particular market I have learned not to discount their efforts. This is especially the case if they decide to go after Android's market share, since Android in spite of all it's good qualities seems pretty disjointed at times.

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012

(1) Early 1980's, Apple has the home PC market - educational market, than IBM comes in with MS-DOS, in quick order Apple was relegated to a nitch market in the PC world (even today Mac sales barely hit 6% of total PC sales).

(2) A bit later WordPerfect owns the word processing market, everyone laughs at the first version of Microsoft Word.

(3) Netscape had over 90% of the browser market. People laughed at Internet Explorer.

(4) Palm and Symbian were the first big names in Smartphone OS. Windows Mobile was seen as hopeless, but before they lost interest, stopped trying and iOS they had pretty much crushed Palm and Symbian in the US.

There are also tons of times that Microsoft failed. All I'm saying is that they have tons of money and patience, so when they want to get market share and stay in a particular market I have learned not to discount their efforts. This is especially the case if they decide to go after Android's market share, since Android in spite of all it's good qualities seems pretty disjointed at times.
Darn right, Gary Kildall of Digital Research learned it the hard way when they snubbed IBM's offer. In fact Bill Gates did not even develop MS-DOS but he owned it. I just love that documentary! :D

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

But eventually, everyone had to buy a license for Windows and Office, that's what counts when it comes to bread and butter. Bill has big plans for Windows, the 8th is just the beginning of another pc revolution, IMO. :)

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

I thought about it to get a WIN8 tablet because I thought it would be nice to have the functionality of a "real" OS on a tablet.

However I decided against it. And it was a good decision. The TF101 with ICS is works very nice beside those ****ing reboots when it enters deeps sleep....

The two main reasons why I decided against Win8 are.

1. Win 8 ARM devices will have locked bootloaders.

It's my device. I payed for it. So I decide which OS I'm running on it.

2. Win8 Won't be that functional on ARM devices because a lot of the x86/x64 programs won't run on them.
Android has the advantage here. It's already a established mobile OS which a huge number of apps which are getting better and better by the day.
It will take quite some time to make the normal windows programs usable on a Win8 ARM device. So why leaving a already functional ecosystem for something which will probably somewhere in the future be a good mobile OS.
Microsoft can easily do what Google has done and that is to release the source code to the tablet makers, under license of course. Remember when Apple sued Microsoft for infringing upon its Look and Feel graphic interface? It didn't work!

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
Darn right, Gary Kildall of Digital Research learned it the hard way when they snubbed IBM's offer. In fact Bill Gates did not even develop MS-DOS but he owned it. I just love that documentary! :D

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

But eventually, everyone had to buy a license for Windows and Office, that's what counts when it comes to bread and butter. Bill has big plans for Windows, the 8th is just the beginning of another pc revolution, IMO. :)

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Microsoft can easily do what Google has done and that is to release the source code to the tablet makers, under license of course. Remember when Apple sued Microsoft for infringing upon its Look and Feel graphic interface? It didn't work!

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying? Could you explain it a little bit further?

JohnM109R

Apr 20, 2010
Vaudreuil-Dorion
All I can say it will never make it.... just look at the WP7 it's still grinding behind all phones out there..ppl are just fed up with plain Blah windows anything they come out with...geeezz..

solom01

Oct 29, 2010
Well you may be right, all I can compare it to are my iPad 1st generation and my Asus TF101 and dock. If you get a chance to try Windows 8 on a touchscreen tablet give it a go. I expected to hate it, but find it incredibly cool that on one small machine I can get almost instant boot, play with apps that are simple and quick to use but if I need a full featured unit to play regular Hulu (without a fee), the $4.99 version of Spotify or use Office 10 it's available too. If there's an app I can't find (and the preliminary W8 market is tiny) I don't have to worry - there's a real program that I can run. Again, this is all running on a $499 tablet that comes with a keyboard dock and has minimal RAM and CPU power, and we're talking about a beta program that's not even a release candidate. Like anything else MicroSoft may find a way to mess this up - but for the first time I think there's an OS out there that is a real threat to iOS.

ssl123

Feb 18, 2012
Windows tablets aren't new. I had and still have a Windows tablet from back when Fujitsu made them with Windows 95. Windows 7 tablets have been available for a while today. The reasons why fullblown Windows tablets have never caught on are because they are expensive, they are heavy, they have the battery lives of laptops or worse. These are things beyond simply just the interface. The planned ARM tablets will try to address those issues, but, as someone said, the ARM-version tablets do not run the same Windows software (other than HTML5 stuff that can run on any of the mobile OSes), which sort of defeats the whole point and makes Windows ARM basically the next iteration in a long line of iterations of Windows CE, Windows Embedded, Windows Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, and whatever else they've called it.

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012
I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying? Could you explain it a little bit further?
In a nutshell, Microsoft has had a long story of success in their products and victory against the competition in terms of market share. I therefore expect Windows to embark on an equally successful transition to the tablet just as Apple has from the Mac to the Ipad. Plenty of tablet makers out there to support Windows 8 that's for sure.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Windows tablets aren't new. I had and still have a Windows tablet from back when Fujitsu made them with Windows 95. Windows 7 tablets have been available for a while today. The reasons why fullblown Windows tablets have never caught on are because they are expensive, they are heavy, they have the battery lives of laptops or worse. These are things beyond simply just the interface. The planned ARM tablets will try to address those issues, but, as someone said, the ARM-version tablets do not run the same Windows software (other than HTML5 stuff that can run on any of the mobile OSes), which sort of defeats the whole point and makes Windows ARM basically the next iteration in a long line of iterations of Windows CE, Windows Embedded, Windows Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, and whatever else they've called it.
That's very true, at one time a cellphone required a backpack with a heavy battery. Sometimes the idea surges ahead of the current technology, the blu ray had to wait until screen technology produced the bright widescreen leds that we now enjoy.

Tabletwise, same old story but new technology in capacitive screens vs resistive that required the stylus. But apps remain basically in the same categories of games, media, office, tools, mods, etc. The same old toys under a new interface.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

BTW, Windows can be implemented on any hardware, it just so happens that Intel and AMD are two of the biggest chipmakers that can crank out Windows based machines. One such example are the game console emulators that run on the tablets. Now Sony and Microsoft may have to start looking at a cheaper way to port their games to the Transformer.

ssl123

Feb 18, 2012
That's not the point. The point is that most of the software you are running on your Windows computer will not run on Windows for ARM. Windows for ARM might as well be considered a whole other operating system, like all the other Microsoft embedded operating systems before it which only looked like the desktop versions of Windows at their respective times. Consumers will not be fooled for long by the confusing marketing. That leaves full-blown Windows on laptop-level tablet hardware. The W500 weighs over 2 pounds. It's battery life is four hours. It cost $1,000 when iPads were $500 and Androids were $400. There are reasons why Jobs didn't go that route when he came up with the iPad.

Also, when you type on a tablet, you lose half the screen to the touch keyboard. The size of tablets are limited or else they would become too unwieldy to handle. Laptops routinely come in 14" to 19" sizes; tablets cannot. Largest tablet is 10" and then you lose half of the screen when typing on the screen. All the more reason why tablets are supplementary devices. You could get a physical keyboard add-on; now you are back to a laptop paradigm again.

Windows 8 will do well with laptops and desktops equipped with touchscreens. I wouldn't put money on it blowing up the tablet world as we know it.

Last edited:

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
And Android is getting better and better. I reckon that a Transformer Prime would be more then enough for the majority of the users. And with a docking station and a big screen they would've their computer. Windows is far to complicated and even Android is a lot of the time to complex for the "normal" user.
I guess that was probably one of the reasons why the i-stuff was such a success.
The average user had finally devices which he could use without big explanations.
So why should they start to use windows again.

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
And Android is getting better and better. I reckon that a Transformer Prime would be more then enough for the majority of the users. And with a docking station and a big screen they would've their computer. Windows is far to complicated and even Android is a lot of the time to complex for the "normal" user.
I guess that was probably one of the reasons why the i-stuff was such a success.
The average user had finally devices which he could use without big explanations.
So why should they start to use windows again.

No. Just no. Sounds like you started using computers just recently.

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
I never said that it's too complex for me. But I know all the questions which my friends and family are asking me. And a lot of them are are very easy and are IMO basic knowledge. But a lot of people don't know it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
And BTW "no just no" isn't an argument. In addition you use a stupid categorisation of me without a clue who I am and which has nothing to do with the actual discussion.

So stay on the topic and bring up something useful.

I based my argument on my personal experience if you experienced otherwise share it or be quiet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All

I am new to the Android tablet world, just bought my transformer yesterday actually, rooted it and tweaked the **** out of it :)

As being a previous loyal android user, i found myself quite moved and worried about the rumours regarding Windows 8 tablet taking over the market leaving android tablets to die, upon hearing this i asked myself if is this really possible?? Because if it is then what will become of my transformer after a year? For which to buy i had sold my old laptop

In a year your tablet will be three maybe four generations old and lacking. That said it will be exactly what it is today. Awesome.

Windows 8 sucks. It won't take anything over.. garbage.
    To me tablet technology is the next generation of human interaction with his/her toys and machines, the main advantage being portability and weight. That in itself is one reason Windows 8 is migrating from desktop and laptop. But like Apple and PC, Explorer and Firefox, Windows and Android will coexist and will benefit the users through constant innovation and competition. The world does not need a monopoly, what Microsoft and Google should do is put their heads together to redefine the user interface that will make the tablet a better tool that will replace the old and obsolete methods of user interaction.