5,599,677 Members 47,023 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Vibrant has a 4g chip (Possibly not a rumor!)

Tip us?

shrty4luv
Old
Thanks Meter 35
this thread just caught my eye and thought i would respond,a while back i got tired of being throttle so i switch from unlimited data to 200 mb in which later i found out that the 200 mb plan was 4g...well i don't know exactly if it's really 4g or not but i can say that my phone would go from 3g to h...and i even called tmobile to reference to the plan and different reps all told me that the 200 mb was 4g...and incase some is wondering,i went out and got a wifi mobile hotspot device...

romitkin
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrty4luv View Post
this thread just caught my eye and thought i would respond,a while back i got tired of being throttle so i switch from unlimited data to 200 mb in which later i found out that the 200 mb plan was 4g...well i don't know exactly if it's really 4g or not but i can say that my phone would go from 3g to h...and i even called tmobile to reference to the plan and different reps all told me that the 200 mb was 4g...and incase some is wondering,i went out and got a wifi mobile hotspot device...
I think the "h" means HSPDA, which is 3.5G. The Vibrant can't support 4G as far as I know.

reuthermonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by romitkin View Post
I think the "h" means HSPDA, which is 3.5G. The Vibrant can't support 4G as far as I know.
That's still 100% correct.

And the 'H' is merely an image used by the custom ROM for when data is actually transferring using HSDPA.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|--------------------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^
Nexus 4 (ROM: Rooted Stock 4.4.2)
Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (ROM: Rooted Stock 4.2)
Nexus 7 (ROM: Stock Rooted 4.4)

retired: Samsung Nexus S 4G | Kindle Fire | Samsung Vibrant w/ FFC | HTC Hero CDMA | iPhone | HTC Dream/G1

theking_13
Old
Thanks Meter 1465
The Vibrant does not support 4G speeds, plain and simple. Stop with all this false information, and the class action lawsuits. "Oh, Samsung locked my phone down to only support 3G", so? You bought it like that, you accepted it how it was. Take a seat.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
Current
HTC One X

White Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

History
HTC G1>Motorola Cliq>HTC Mytouch Slide 3G>Blackberry 8900>LG G-Slate>Samsung Vibrant>LG G2x>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>AT&T HTC One X>AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3>Motorola Xoom>HTC G2>HTC Sensation>Meizu MX>T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3>Motorola Atrix HD>Asus TF101>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>HTC One S>Samsung Galaxy S2

*If I helped you, hit the Thanks button! *

stgeorge88
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by theking_13 View Post
The Vibrant does not support 4G speeds, plain and simple. Stop with all this false information, and the class action lawsuits. "Oh, Samsung locked my phone down to only support 3G", so? You bought it like that, you accepted it how it was. Take a seat.

OK no 4G. granted. But is the phone pentaband? Im asking cuz before I used this phone with Canadian AWS carriers Mobilicity and Wind and now switched to (WCDMA?) Rogers. 3G data connection is flawless with all carriers. Previously I thought only pentaband phones can do this (e.g., Galaxy Nexus or international Galaxy Note, or there's currently a bounty for modding the AT&T LTE Note to work on TMobile 4G) so I'm surprised that my Vibrant can do so

theking_13
Old
Thanks Meter 1465
What frequencies do the Canadian carriers operate on?

Current
HTC One X

White Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

History
HTC G1>Motorola Cliq>HTC Mytouch Slide 3G>Blackberry 8900>LG G-Slate>Samsung Vibrant>LG G2x>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>AT&T HTC One X>AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3>Motorola Xoom>HTC G2>HTC Sensation>Meizu MX>T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3>Motorola Atrix HD>Asus TF101>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>HTC One S>Samsung Galaxy S2

*If I helped you, hit the Thanks button! *

Tynen
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiehd View Post
Someone on AndroidSPIN mentioned this and I figured it deserved it's own topic because this may be hard evidence and not speculation.

If the SGS does, in fact, have that chip- it could support 14.4 and be software locked to prevent it from accessing it. Anyone who knows more about hardware wanna take a stab at this? Thanks Steven at AndroidSPIN for bringing these facts out.
Software lock as in some firmware that doesn't change when we flashed roms?? If it was truly software like in the rom then wouldn't running an AOSP rom allow for 4g connectivity?
Phone: ATT Galaxy S 3
ROM: CM10 Nightly Builds

Phone: GSM Galaxy Nexus
ROM: JB JRN84D

Tablet: Nook Color
ROM: CyanogenMod 7.1
Get Dropbox

reuthermonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgeorge88 View Post
OK no 4G. granted. But is the phone pentaband? Im asking cuz before I used this phone with Canadian AWS carriers Mobilicity and Wind and now switched to (WCDMA?) Rogers. 3G data connection is flawless with all carriers. Previously I thought only pentaband phones can do this (e.g., Galaxy Nexus or international Galaxy Note, or there's currently a bounty for modding the AT&T LTE Note to work on TMobile 4G) so I'm surprised that my Vibrant can do so
It's quad-band 3g.

UMTS: 900/1700/1900/2100

If you're getting coverage on Rogers, it's because their network (like ATT's in the US) uses both the 1900 and 850 bands for service. You're getting service on the 1900 band. The 850 band is not available on the Vibrant though, so you may find some areas (probably more remote ones) that show 3g coverage on the map, but which you cannot access.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|--------------------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^
Nexus 4 (ROM: Rooted Stock 4.4.2)
Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (ROM: Rooted Stock 4.2)
Nexus 7 (ROM: Stock Rooted 4.4)

retired: Samsung Nexus S 4G | Kindle Fire | Samsung Vibrant w/ FFC | HTC Hero CDMA | iPhone | HTC Dream/G1
The Following User Says Thank You to reuthermonkey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stgeorge88
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
It's quad-band 3g.

UMTS: 900/1700/1900/2100

If you're getting coverage on Rogers, it's because their network (like ATT's in the US) uses both the 1900 and 850 bands for service. You're getting service on the 1900 band. The 850 band is not available on the Vibrant though, so you may find some areas (probably more remote ones) that show 3g coverage on the map, but which you cannot access.
Got it. Thanks a lot for the reply!