Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 53,019 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ACS] [HOW TO] Root, Flash Roms/Kernels/Themes, CWM, and update! (67 videos) 8/7/11

Tip us?

dcunited001
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Heimdall/Ubuntu/Epic

Hi, I have an Epic 4G and I am just not getting heimdall to recognize my device at all. I have a mac, which is apparently not able to talk to my EPIC via USB. And I have an Ubuntu laptop, which can, but not in download mode. I do not have windows, I removed windows from my laptop.

`adb devices` only recognizes my phone when it's in usb debug mode and not in download mode. `heimdall devices` returns 'failed to detect compatible download-mode device.

this is very frustrating because all i need to freaking do is root my device. everything else seems simple. but these $@#^ing phone companies need to step off and realize that i bought this hardware - it is mine and i should be able to do whatever i please. even if it means removing their stupid NASCAR app. really? a @$#^ing nascar app.

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25417

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcunited001 View Post
Hi, I have an Epic 4G and I am just not getting heimdall to recognize my device at all. I have a mac, which is apparently not able to talk to my EPIC via USB. And I have an Ubuntu laptop, which can, but not in download mode. I do not have windows, I removed windows from my laptop.

`adb devices` only recognizes my phone when it's in usb debug mode and not in download mode. `heimdall devices` returns 'failed to detect compatible download-mode device.

this is very frustrating because all i need to freaking do is root my device. everything else seems simple. but these $@#^ing phone companies need to step off and realize that i bought this hardware - it is mine and i should be able to do whatever i please. even if it means removing their stupid NASCAR app. really? a @$#^ing nascar app.
To get Heimdall working check out post 2 in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1052813

Then you would have to adapt it to install the kernel to allow root.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

swiftstrike763
Old
(Last edited by swiftstrike763; 11th April 2012 at 05:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Hey guys I just rooted my Epic and I was looking through all the stuff on here and was wondering if it was all up to date and still compatible with my Epic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25417

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftstrike763 View Post
Hey guys I just rooted my Epic and I was looking through all the stuff on here and was wondering if it was all up to date and still compatible with my Epic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
No, qbking77 has not updated this thread in awhile. His latest videos can be found directly on youtube by googling what you are looking for, for instance How to root the Samsung Epic on EL30. He also has a channel on youtube with a list of all his vids. He is just so busy doing so many vids for so many phones (how does he do it?) that I imagine keeping up with all the threads would be quite difficult.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

swiftstrike763
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Oh I see that makes perfect sense and yes now that I think about it all (at least most) the videos I watched on messing with my phone were his from what I remember. But thanks for the info I'm gonna check out his YouTube channel now

Take care.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

The image in the photograph isn't real, only an illusion, but that is humanity's way; seeking vainly to preserve the image because you fear that one day it may be forgotten. - Sebastian Michaelis

wolfen1086
Old
Thanks Meter 275
qbking77 I have only one thing to say abut you. You are a demigod of Samsung phones All I have right now is root access with the stock Samsung OS, with of course a couple of bloatwares removed, but I'm really thinking of installing the same stuff you guys here have and these videos are user friendly even for a person lie me who still knows what a stamp is

flastnoles11
Old
Thanks Meter 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
qbking77 I have only one thing to say abut you. You are a demigod of Samsung phones All I have right now is root access with the stock Samsung OS, with of course a couple of bloatwares removed, but I'm really thinking of installing the same stuff you guys here have and these videos are user friendly even for a person lie me who still knows what a stamp is
This is why qbking77 is the single most important person to this community... if my niece can root and flash roms on her phone by just watching his videos anybody can... keep in mind this is the girl who still can't figure out the guide on the cable box! Lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

New to the SprintGS3??? Click the link below to get started!!!

djmcho
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Thumbs up amazing

what an amazing list! Thank you!

qbking77
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 5111

DONATE TO ME
Glad these have helped.. You guys are very welcome
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/qbking77

http://www.qbking77.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qbking77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TONYSALEM78
Old
(Last edited by TONYSALEM78; 27th April 2012 at 03:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
These helped me A LOT.. Glad these are all in one section.
qbking77 glad you do your videos. Couldn't do some things without em.
Also about to watch some vids of yours to pimp out the old ladys Nexus S 4g