Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,333 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NEW] NT CM7 support thread

Tip us?

Fillimerica
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default SD Card Boot Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobdaryl View Post
I can't boot CM7 final from SD without tether as many others. I am running internal with stock recovery. I have found a CWM boot SD image that boots every time without tether.
Four different SD cards all boot without tether (2 4g c4, 1 16g c6, 1 32g c10).
Here is a link to the image. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post21275927 It would be nice if someone else with the tether problem could attempt this. Thanks for looking.
Testing:
Patriot Memory 16GB Class 4 (#1)
Sandisk 8GB Class 4 (#2)

Downloaded fresh copy of SD_ROOT_NT16gbV4_6.

A. Followed Albert's instructions for imaging the SD Cards (using the NT as SD Host via USB)

B.Also tried same tests using a PC Card Reader

Results:
Card #1 needs the USB tether for the NT to boot into CWM in both A & B
Card #2 does NOT need the USB tether to boot into CWM in both A & B

These results are consistent with my other tests involving SD cards imaged with CM7 and other flavors of CWM. I get consistent, reproducible results. My Patriot card won't boot and my Sandisk always will when my NT is untethered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fillimerica For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

merlot2k1
Old
(Last edited by merlot2k1; 23rd March 2012 at 06:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default BUG

No Bug to report! It was an SD Card issue!

miniblue
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Default CM7 on Sandisk 8g Class 4

I ordered 8 gig Class 2 cards from Amazon. They decided to ship Class 4 instead so I tried one of them. Crystal indicated Small Block 32 at 1.504, which compares to the Verbatum 8 gig Class 4 which ran at 0.005.

CM7 works much better, in fact, I now think I like it better than the rooted stock. Still having trouble with streaming radio apps, but Earth runs great. I can get used to the location picked up from the wifi.

CM7 boots without a tether. I also got CWM to boot off SD, but haven,t done a backup yet. That is next. Then I'll maybe go internal with the next release.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to miniblue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rvr350
Old
Thanks Meter 8
2 questions. I have used 16gb sandisk to upload alpha final.

1: i actually like the big chunky stock keyboard, is there a way to port it over to cm7, as a added option?

2: i used a 16 gig sd card to store the alpha final, can someone show me the number of partition i have to make in order to fully utilize all the space? Right now, i after i used win imager32 to write the .img on the sd card, it shows only 1 gb left.

Thank you.

miniblue
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Use EaseUS

Click your SD card (be sure it is the SD)
Click on the bottom Fat 32 partition (second to last line)
Click the resize menu button, I think the top on the left.
Use the slider and slide it all the way to the right.
Ok
Apply
You're done.

As you have heard before this operation is at your risk. If you messup the SD card no big deal you do it again IF YOU RESIZE YOUR HARD DRIVE THAT WILL NOT BE GOOD.

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miniblue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ratickle
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Do Class 10 SD cards work?

Several days ago started booting my Nook Tablet into CW7 using a Transcend 8GB Class 6 micro-SD. Even used Easeus to extend the last Fat32 partition. Everything works great.

I decided a faster micro-SD might improve boot times, so I purchased an A-Data 16GB Class 10. I can't get this micro-SD to work reliably. After installing a fresh CW7 image, my Nook will boot and I can configure, but it will NOT boot completely after that. On subsequent boots, I get the Team-B logo, but it never gets to the skating Android logo.

I've tried wiping the micro-SD with Easeus and I've downloaded a fresh CW7 image. The A-Data Class 10 card just doesn't seem to work.

So, my question is this: Is Class 10 the problem or is A-Data the problem, or do I just have a bad SD card?

TheBigDogz
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratickle View Post
Several days ago started booting my Nook Tablet into CW7 using a Transcend 8GB Class 6 micro-SD. Even used Easeus to extend the last Fat32 partition. Everything works great.

I decided a faster micro-SD might improve boot times, so I purchased an A-Data 16GB Class 10. I can't get this micro-SD to work reliably. After installing a fresh CW7 image, my Nook will boot and I can configure, but it will NOT boot completely after that. On subsequent boots, I get the Team-B logo, but it never gets to the skating Android logo.

I've tried wiping the micro-SD with Easeus and I've downloaded a fresh CW7 image. The A-Data Class 10 card just doesn't seem to work.

So, my question is this: Is Class 10 the problem or is A-Data the problem, or do I just have a bad SD card?
I installed CM7 image on a SAMSUNG 32GB MICRO SDHC CLASS 10.

http://www.frys.com/product/6786695

I haven't had any issues other than that the NT needs to be plugged in to PC / AC Power in order to boot to SD CM7. It otherwise boots to the STOCK rom. This is also a common issue that others experience. At this point, I haven't seen any conclusive anaylsis to show that the issue is caused by a specific microSD card type / brand.

Hope this helps.

movrshakr
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Indeed, it is becoming very clear that different microSD cards perform differently with this CM7 setup.

Exactly WHAT it is about the cards that is causing the different (abnormal) results is not yet clear.
Samsung Galaxy S3 i747 ATT (Current)
Samsung Captivate I897 (Build 1006) - DesignGears' [ROM][2.2] Cognition 4.5.3
Nook Tablet 16GB booting CM7 from microSD - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1481826
Retired Devices: Moto RAZR, Samsung X427M, Samsung Eternity; many b4 those.

captican
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by movrshakr View Post
Indeed, it is becoming very clear that different microSD cards perform differently with this CM7 setup.

Exactly WHAT it is about the cards that is causing the different (abnormal) results is not yet clear.
I use an eight gb, class 10 sd card from "Amazon Basics." I have not had any problems booting CM7. I have not repartitioned the sd card or done anything other than load the CM7 alpha using the image from CelticWebSolutions (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1481826).

I have had the tablet reboot back to stock three times while using the sd card but I am not (yet) convinced it has anything to do (solely) with the card (although I have not identified the reason for the three reboots). On the occasions when it has rebooted, I just power down and reboot back to CM7.
Samsung i747 - AOKP by Task650 (kitkat 4.4.4)
Nexus 10 - OmniROM (homebuild by scanno)

rvr350
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniblue View Post
Use EaseUS

Click your SD card (be sure it is the SD)
Click on the bottom Fat 32 partition (second to last line)
Click the resize menu button, I think the top on the left.
Use the slider and slide it all the way to the right.
Ok
Apply
You're done.

As you have heard before this operation is at your risk. If you messup the SD card no big deal you do it again IF YOU RESIZE YOUR HARD DRIVE THAT WILL NOT BE GOOD.

Bill
Done as you described, and windows explorer still shows only 156 mb free on a 16gb card after I put alpha final on with win32imager... EaseUS shows 14 gb free fwiw...

What is the minimum size gb SD card i can get by? I've used a 4gb and it seems to be fine.

I suppose I still don't have full access of the NT's internal memory, i.e. still only 1 gb user available, is that still true? Can I swap SD card after boot-up? like watch a movie or something if I use a 4gb SD card to boot up the NT from now on?