It's a good idea to check all the steps before you start ...
Finally ran my battery down for the second time. So, I recharged, ran a factory re-set and ran the shell script on my Linux box to root the phone.
The file VM670NH_recovery.img downloaded as VM670NH_recovery.bin and the system can't find/stat it! Hit ^C and bailed!
Hoping, hoping, hoping ...
Good! It's not bricked!
Renamed the recovery file, re-ran the script. Success!!
Rebooted into recovery, flashed rootme.zip
==> Did a nandroid backup.
Downloaded root check basic app and confirmed that it has worked.
So, for other modders trying this out:
Check your files and file names before you start! When I looked at Gordita.sh the first time I found that what I had downloaded was an HTML file with the script embedded in it. Copied and pasted from the OP and then checked again to make sure I had the right content.
Of course if you are running the adb commands manually then this won't happen to you.
But, as I noted above, I didn't cross-check that the recovery file that the script would be looking for had the right file name extension (.img, not .bin), so don't be me.
That said, jcase: Thank You Very Much!! Not only for developing this root exploit but also for making one that is robust enough for someone like me to goober it up and still come out unburnt!