Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

VGA & Opera Mini (and/or MIDlet) users, you’ll LOVE this: readable charsizes at last!

OP Menneisyys

13th July 2008, 01:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter: 10

5,381 posts
So far, the biggest problem with running Opera Mini (or any MIDlet that uses characters to display anything; for example, the Gmail one) on high-resolution (W)VGA Windows Mobile devices was the far too small character size all contemporary, recommended (most importantly, Jbed) MIDlet managers used. That is, up to now, only people with flawless eyesight and/or comparatively large (say, 3.6+”) VGA screens were able to really enjoy Opera Mini on their high-resolution phones, not people with considerably smaller (W)VGA screens (Gigabyte and E-TEN VGA models; the new Toshiba and i-mate phones etc.) I’ve searched far and long for hacks for Jbed – currently the best all-in-one MIDlet manager – in vain.

JBlend, the most important Jbed-alternative to the rescue! The JBlend version coming with the HTC Diamond supports large characters. Which is pretty much understandable as the Diamond only has a 2.8” screen – way too small to run Opera Mini with the default character size. (Again, it can only be read by people with excellent eyesight even on considerably larger, 3.6” VGA screens.)

It was some days ago that an XDA-Developers forum member reported the Jblend version coming with the Diamond uses large characters. I’ve stuck the thread at once in order to make as many Diamond users aware of the possible solution as possible and have even mentioned it in my last Misc news article in order to draw the subject as much attention as possible to. Fortunately, another XDA-Devs user, Sogarth, has managed to “hack” the JBlend manager out of Diamond after this.

You can download it HERE (it’s now on my backend so that you can avoid having to deal with public, free file repositories like MegaUpload). Unzip ALL the files into \Windows. Put JBlend.lnk into \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. With a registry editor, import either 83f46fc6-70de-49eb-bed1-719f4a1d8751.rgu (after renaming it to .reg) or THIS file, depending on whether the editor is REGEDIT4- or 5-compliant. (If only the latter like Pocket Controller’s registry editor, use the latter file I’ve created for your convenience.)

That’s all – after this, Jblend will work. Yes, I know: it doesn’t support full screen (unlike Jbed), which can clearly be seen in the screenshot below. However, if you use it in Portrait, the screen estate lost by the two (upper and lower) bars can be minimized. (I haven’t tested it in real VGA mode – there, if Jblend works OK with it, you can further reduce the screen estate loss by halving the size of the bars.)

I’ll update this article as soon as an easier-to-install CAB installer for the files is created. Up until then, just follow the tutorial above. Consult my older articles on, for example, importing Registry files if you don’t know what it’s about.

I’ve tested it on a WM6.1 HTC Universal. Haven’t done the same on a phone-less VGA PDA like the iPAQ 210. I think it’ll work on it too with the usual “dummy” phone/SMS DLL’s. Make sure you read my MIDlet Bible if you don’t know what I’m referring to.
Last edited by Menneisyys; 13th July 2008 at 01:32 AM.
13th July 2008, 11:53 PM   |  #2  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 3

76 posts
More
Not working for me on axim x51v (wm6.1 makuu's version).
I try with the fake phone/SMS dlls unssuccefuly.
Any sugestions?
Last edited by aneto; 13th July 2008 at 11:55 PM.
29th July 2008, 09:35 PM   |  #3  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 3

76 posts
More
found CAB
I found the cab here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=410190

or

http://www.duttythroy.net/download-a...ownload&cid=19

and it works perfect on axim x51v

Thanks to duttythroy!!
Last edited by aneto; 26th August 2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: edit second link
31st July 2008, 01:56 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneto

I found the cab here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=410190

or

http://www.duttythroy.net/

and it works perfect on axim x51v

Thanks to duttythroy!!

It worked on my X51v, however, the scrolling is not similar to Jbed. You have to use the sidebars and the mouse cursor is visible. The text is bigger but with the lost of screen size and smooth scrolling. Thanks.
20th August 2008, 11:08 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

30 posts
im sure it would be much appreciated if someone were to pack this all up in a couple of cab files - I know im struggling to find first a file manger that can rename extensions and then a registry editor that can import reg files...

EDIT: I'm a fool, see post 3 for this...D'oh!
Last edited by fraktal; 9th September 2008 at 12:27 PM.
22nd August 2008, 10:04 PM   |  #6  
OP Retired Moderator

5,381 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphayvanh

It worked on my X51v, however, the scrolling is not similar to Jbed. You have to use the sidebars and the mouse cursor is visible. The text is bigger but with the lost of screen size and smooth scrolling. Thanks.

use real VGA mode to minimize the screen estate lose
22nd August 2008, 10:05 PM   |  #7  
OP Retired Moderator

5,381 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraktal

im sure it would be much appreciated if someone were to pack this all up in a couple of cab files - I know im struggling to find first a file manger that can rename extensions and then a registry editor that can import reg files...

have you read #3 ?
23rd August 2008, 07:48 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

74 posts
Quote:

With a registry editor, import either 83f46fc6-70de-49eb-bed1-719f4a1d8751.rgu (after renaming it to .reg) or THIS file, depending on whether the editor is REGEDIT4- or 5-compliant. (If only the latter like Pocket Controllerís registry editor, use the latter file Iíve created for your convenience.)

im confused here, can someone please clarify this for me

1) wat wm editor do i use?
2) where do i import the file? the location is where?

thanx
23rd August 2008, 08:59 PM   |  #9  
OP Retired Moderator

5,381 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleptodathief

im confused here, can someone please clarify this for me

1) wat wm editor do i use?
2) where do i import the file? the location is where?

thanx

Into the Registry. In your case, it's probably the best if you give a try to the CAB files in #3 first - it's much simpler.
31st August 2008, 08:57 PM   |  #10  
Flag Hurricane, WV
Thanks Meter: 142

1,524 posts
More
Hey I just got the HTC Touch Pro. Like others, using the built in Java app, the Opera Mini was just too small on the VGA screen to be usable. I nstalled the JBlend via the above cab file and then installed Opera Mini.

The weird thing is that the font is definitely better and it seems to work OK but I can't enter text into the address entry field (i.e., the field that has the www. in it). I can do data entry any where else 0 just not that field.

Any ideas?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread