Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,151 Members 36,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] BETA ICS 4.0.X - Team DRH - data partition size

Tip us?

toast000
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] BETA ICS 4.0.X - Team DRH - data partition size

Is there a way to either a) make the data partition larger than 2GB or b) do some kind of apps2sd even though ICS doesn't support it? I've been reinstalling everything since putting on the latest version of the rom and have plenty of internal (and external) SD space, but only a few megs left of my data partition for installations. Would the partition be possible through CWM up to 4GB or higher through nvflash?

rajeevvp
Old
Thanks Meter 406
You can increase or decrease the size allocated to /data as you wish. And you'll have to do it using CWM, not nvflash.

Do you want to keep your existing data while you increase the size of the /data partition?

toast000
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I would prefer to save it. I had just planned to use Titanium and send it all up to Box.com (hooray for the free 50 gigs).

rajeevvp
Old
(Last edited by rajeevvp; 26th March 2012 at 05:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 406
OK. Then, the easiest method is to use GParted.

0. Go to the Parted Magic website and download and burn the latest version of the Parted Magic CD or USB-stick image.

1. Boot into CWM, select the "mounts and storage" menu item, then unmount all mounted partitions. Do not back out of that screen--stay there until you're done.

2. Boot into PartedMagic, run Firefox and get the ADB binary from here. Save the adb.zip file into /tmp. Run these commands in a Terminal window:

Code:
root@PartedMagic:~# unzip -d /usr/local/bin /tmp/adb.zip
root@PartedMagic:~# chmod 500 /usr/local/bin/adb
3. Run these commands to make the internal SD card visible to GParted (use /dev/block/mmcblk2 for the external SD card):
Code:
root@PartedMagic:~# adb shell
~ # echo /dev/block/mmcblk3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
4.Now run the Partition Editor (GParted) program and select the SD card device from the drop down list.

5. Resize the data partition by dragging the partition boundary, then select "Apply".

6. After the operation completes, exit GParted and run this ADB command to dismount USB storage:
Code:
root@PartedMagic:~# adb shell
~ # echo '' > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
7. Now back out of the "Mounts and Storage Menu" in CWM and reboot the gTablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to rajeevvp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

toast000
Old
(Last edited by toast000; 26th March 2012 at 03:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I have all partitions unmounted in CWM, but when I try to do "adb shell" it gives me the "error: device not found" message.

EDIT: It was a driver issue. I'm repartitioning now and everything seems to be going well. Thanks!