Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,934 Members 51,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB car charger dongle supporting "charging AC" mode?

Tip us?

Cares
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
This one works without soldering or anything. It charges the EXTENDED batter about 1% every two minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Anything similar to this for 2 phones? And also does this come with a cable? I'm having issues with the popular Motorola car charger cable being loose.

txkorm
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cares View Post
Anything similar to this for 2 phones? And also does this come with a cable? I'm having issues with the popular Motorola car charger cable being loose.
Nope, no cable. This thing charges quickly! Just order two more. One for the wife and one for my "Tech-Out bag". Yes, I'm a "Battery Drain Prepper".

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

Apsalus
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
This one works without soldering or anything. It charges the EXTENDED batter about 1% every two minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Welcome to the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
I forgot to update this thread. I got the HTC CC C300 dual port charger and it does provide 1A. The model number is 99H10128-00.

If you can live with only one port, the single port HTC charger does AC charging as well. The cheapest that I've seen it is here, as a "T-Mobile myTouch" branded unit. http://www.amazon.com/HTC-T-Mobile-m...d=CYR5AB72ZMIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cares View Post
The CC C300 does 1A from both ports. It comes with one cable.

ecetim
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Have any of you tried using Battery Monitor Widget to actually measure your charge rates? I never have issues getting 1A charge with any charger, including the $4 Motorola car charger. Just don't use cheap Chinese junk and you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

mike.s
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecetim View Post
Have any of you tried using Battery Monitor Widget to actually measure your charge rates?
Using what monitoring method? With the default, Auto, charging measurements seem to be close, but discharge measurements are way off. That makes me not trust either to be particularly accurate.

gcbxda
Old
Thanks Meter 4
this thread left me with more questions

1) does it show AC/USB based on the >0.5A being provided? or based on the shorted data pins in the USB cable?

2) So, how do you guys measure charging current? i could only find remaning battery voltage on my CM7.1

extra. 3) if you were to attach a multimeter to measure real Amps being draw, how would you do it?

maximus20895
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I downloaded battery monitor widget or something, it tells the draw and input.

No idea, but there is an app for that ^

gcbxda
Old
Thanks Meter 4
what i'm trying to figure out now is if the phone is relying solely on the shorted USB pin 3-4 instead of acually checking amperage.

I checked those widgets, and didn't put much trust on them.

Anyone knows where in the proc filesystem i can find the input voltage? my googlefu failed.

i wasted some type probing /sys and /proc but the best i could find was in dmesg

"batt: 96%, 4162 mV, 206 mA (210 avg), 28.8 C, 1300 mAh"

which does not tell me anything about the charger

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

i'm testing one board and between pin 2-3 there's 24K ohm.

does that sound right?

gcbxda
Old
Thanks Meter 4
yeah, i have to learn a little about eletronics.

just tested several AC chargers, they all have <1 ohm. So i just went ahead and soldered my car charger's pins.

seems that to advertise ipad/iwhatever compatible the manufacturers, besides paying royalties, are forbidden to short the pins on the charger itself.

mike.s
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbxda View Post
seems that to advertise ipad/iwhatever compatible the manufacturers, besides paying royalties, are forbidden to short the pins on the charger itself.
Nope. Shorting D+ and D- (actually, it's a 200 Ohm resistance in the current spec) is part of the USB charging specification. Makers of cheap chargers don't do it because they're clueless.