(Warning)Virus on Go Market place!

Search This thread

jongie123

Aug 13, 2009
Sunshine State
Went to the Developers website and see a picture of a Windows Phone.I knew Evil Microsoft was behind all this creating panic among Android users LOL.On the other hand its crazy the amount of permissions this app is asking.

therealpure

May 19, 2011
I'm the same. Unrooted, stock 2.3.4 UK Vodafone SGSII and this turns up!!

I have both the Russian app asking to update and this "testfile" app already installed.

I'm not going to root (especially with ICS around the corner). What can I do?

I've never once installed go launcher or any themes for it.

Completely bone stock 2.3.6 unrooted, and I have the Russian mail app showing as well as "testfile" in my installed apps.

I don't think it's linked to an app.

Djapatos

Apr 7, 2011
Somebody now how to find this malware with Root explorer.Try to find it and nothing.I also send Google an email about this.Have to be some kind of troyan or virus WTF,been using android since my G1 days,MT3g,Nexus One,MT4g Vibrant and now this one and never ever had a virus o troyan problem.Just want to delete this.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

You talking about one called SevenEngine.apk? Dont know what it does I just dont want to mess with my default Email app unless Im sure thats the prob.

Yeah the seven engine one... Dont u see the envelop with the s

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

Reactions: jongie123

Goofy317

Nov 27, 2010
Minneapolis
quick question

1. what rom are you using?

the reason why i asked is because (not trying to bash any dev), this one particular rom that i used to be on, give me nothing but spam call and text. it stop after switching rom.

I'm on juggernaut 5.0... I just saw this earlier today, didn't update because I didn't know what the hell it was... I've done every fix suggested and it's still there...

virjog

Nov 27, 2009
It is indeed a spam app. The developer used an ID that Samsung uses for their email app. So, when Google Play automatically update the email app, this app replaced it.

More info @ The Verge. Can't post a link cause I'm considered "new."

P

pdomansky

I also got this app installed, it installed when I flashed a new ROM, as soon as I connected google store, it downloaded it automatically. Don't think it was the rom though, likely an app that slipped through google's security.

interlope

Jun 3, 2008
Okay, so from what I can gather the same developer that did the samsung email app also produced the russion MTC mail app, signed with the same signature and gave it the same unique identifier. The samsung app doesn't exist in the market, just in the ROM, so Play didn't pick it up as a duplicate - yet it still pushed it out to everyone's phones.

But what about the "testfile" app that has updated the samsung all share app the same day as this MTC app appeared? Does it have any relationship to this case: http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!topic/android-market/umd_3_ES_ck

In that case, it seems an UNRELATED developer has caused an update to be pushed out over a stock app. This happened back in JANUARY. Why has there not been more noise about this? Even if these situations don't imply a security vulnerability, the appearance of strange apps that users didn't install creates its own security problem: "Oh yeah, that happened before. I won't worry about it. I'll wait for google to fix it."

Back to the "testfile" app / All Share case, I'm not seeing anything on what's going on there. For me, testfile is showing in Play Store on my phone as installed, but "This item isn't available". Is it there or is it not? Is it all share by another name, or is it not? Will all share still update in future? As for the only thread I can find in google about testfile (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566097&page=2), it answers nothing for me.

darkside79

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Checked the market just now and seems like its now gone.not showing up any more. Thank god! The more powerful these devices get the more virus are going to be released. Trying to hack into your private info. Just wait and see mates!

Killing Zombies With My Galaxy S II

blackangst

Jun 25, 2008
Phoenix
Checked the market just now and seems like its now gone.not showing up any more. Thank god! The more powerful these devices get the more virus are going to be released. Trying to hack into your private info. Just wait and see mates!

Which is why I use Lookout ;)

Babyj303

May 8, 2011
I believe when the market updated today it also installed this app aswell as another app called tempfile. I ca.t seem to get rid of either with tb or anything.

Sent from MY Juggernaut!!:beer:

androidtoy09

Jun 2, 2009
I'm telling you guys this is Google way of testing how vigilant we are to bogus apps out there...

My 2 cent conspiracy :D

s10shane

Jul 30, 2010
Victorville, Ca

believe me its not gone. it hides under "all apps" i found it way at the bottom of all my apps ive downloaded. u have to scroll all the way down till u get to the last app and u will see it there. i thought the same thing till i checked all my apps. here is my pic to prove it. it doesnt show up under installed apps like it use to.

Attachments

• SC20120326-212021.jpg
    SC20120326-212021.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
believe me its not gone. it hides under "all apps" i found it way at the bottom of all my apps ive downloaded. u have to scroll all the way down till u get to the last app and u will see it there. i thought the same thing till i checked all my apps. here is my pic to prove it. it doesnt show up under installed apps like it use to.

Aww, damn it. There goes my sense of comfort. Back to my tinfoil hat. :screwy:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    < insert evil comments here :D >

now, back to the serious stuff.

Remove the battery

Just boot into CWR and Wipe data / Wipe Cache / Wipe Dalvik

fixed
    For sure fix if this pops up for you in the market. If you're rooted and have TiBackup, search for play store, and wipe its data. Done and done.
    Just a heads up there is a update in the market place acting like a app update! DO NOT UPDATE THIS! Will SCREW YOUR DEVICE UP! I reported it but its still showing up! Watch out mates!

20120325192953.png

There was another thread about this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1564954

I'm trying to figure out this issue as well, even though I do not have the update appearing on my phone.

Can you try scrolling down through the reviews, to see what the original app was?
    Why yes, yes it is.

Here's what you should do:
    1. Flag it in the market.
    2. Install Titanium Backup
    3. Find "Play Store"
    4. Wipe data
    5. Reboot

That should fix the issue.