Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide

OP repairsuniverse

28th March 2012, 10:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 755

623 posts
Motorola Droid 2 is fairly easy to take apart but most screws are hidden under cleverly designed stickers and hard to find. This take apart repair guide should help you take apart the Motorola Droid 2 safely, in a step by step manner, giving you a chance to replace faulty parts.

This guide should help you replace the following parts:
  • Motorola Droid 2 A955 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer
  • Motorola Droid 2 A955 LCD Screen Replacement Display
  • Motorola Droid 2 Replacement Battery

Tools:
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • T3 Torx Screwdriver
  • Safe Open Pry Tool

Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide:
  • The first step is to power off the phone; remove the back cover, the SIM, micro SD card and then the battery. The micro SD card slides right out with just a slight push of your finger.
  • The Droid 2 is held together by a number of screws. The first screws are revealed when you peel off the sticker located on the bottom of the Droid 2 as shown below. Once these screws are removed the back end of the casing will have to be gently pried off using the safe open pry tool. Just slide the pry tool in between the opening and run it along the edges of the phone.

• Five pressure type contacts hold the headphone jack firmly against the camera's gold pads which allows for easy data exchange.
  • The speaker of the Droid 2 is held in place by the pressure of both halves of the phone's case which is why it can easily be taken off once the back has been removed. However be careful because the gold sticker you see stuck to the speaker's housing is an antenna.
  • Since both the antenna and data ribbon cables are too tiny to disconnect from the motherboard by hand you will need to carefully use the safe open pry tool to pull it out from it's socket.
  • Using the T5 Torx Screwdriver you will have to remove the screws that hold the motherboard in place after which you will need to disconnect the keypad's data cable on the flip side of the board.

• If you need to replace the camera you just need to pull it out as it's a separate circuit.
  • Before you remove the small board located on the bottom of the Droid 2, you will first need to disconnect the antenna's ribbon cable, the vibrator motor and its control buttons. Then using the safe open pry tool the board can be easily lifted off.
  • You should now also be able to lift off the black rim of the phone and remove the screws that hold the sliding display in place, this should give you the first glimpse of the phone's LCD.

• Before you take out the front panel you need to disconnect its cable and lift out the earpiece.
  • The small keyboard assembly will need to be disconnected using the safe open pry tool prior to removing the LCD.

Your Motorola Droid 2 is now completely disassembled. Replace any faulty parts to make your repairs and then follow this guide in reverse to reassemble your phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2012, 09:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 864

2,371 posts
I'm thinking that this will be my best bet. Half the screen is dead and $20 bucks sounds a bit better than $150 for a new D2 or $200+ for another device. There literally isn't a single 4G device out right now on Verizon that I'm interested in. I'm holding out hope that when Sony and a few others release the last of their devices rumored or discussed for this year something worthwhile will drop; otherwise I'm on to T-Mobile I think.

Anyway, has anyone put in the work and done this? I've watched a video and it seems tedious more than difficult, especially some of the final steps. Any input is appreciated.

Looking a little further it seems I should probably replace the LCD while I'm at it. Still that's only about $50 for everything.
Last edited by MissionImprobable; 11th July 2012 at 09:29 PM.
13th July 2012, 11:38 PM   |  #3  
Flag East Wenatchee
Thanks Meter: 37

272 posts
More
My D2 is updated to the latest firmware and I know somebody that has an older D2 with a broken screen so I'm going to try this and see if I can have a rooted D2 again :P
11th September 2012, 08:19 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

623 posts
The repair is quite tedious. Not difficult, just adhesive everywhere. Use the downloadable version of this Droid 2 guide here.
12th November 2012, 01:49 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 1,993

4,863 posts
Donate to Me
More
bump
22nd August 2013, 07:13 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Do you have a fused screen assembly for this model?
6th September 2013, 02:22 AM   |  #7  
Flag Payson, AZ.
Thanks Meter: 8

51 posts
More
Droid 2 RF board and connector locations (pics)
Here's a recent repair I performed to a defective D2, A955.
The main board holds the camera, and is the connection point for the keyboard, LCD and digitizer, as well as the SD card.

You can see how tiny the connectors are, and they ARE easily damaged if you attempt to yank them out, or force the header back into the socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0790.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2237958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0791.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	2237959   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0792.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	2237960   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0793.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	2237961  
6th September 2013, 02:29 AM   |  #8  
Flag Payson, AZ.
Thanks Meter: 8

51 posts
More
The working result of a main board replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AECRADIO

Here's a recent repair I performed to a defective D2, A955.
The main board holds the camera, and is the connection point for the keyboard, LCD and digitizer, as well as the SD card.

You can see how tiny the connectors are, and they ARE easily damaged if you attempt to yank them out, or force the header back into the socket.

Here's the working result of the main board replacement performed on a Droid 2, A955
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0794.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	2237984  
11th September 2013, 01:39 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

623 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake.mcgee

Do you have a fused screen assembly for this model?

We do not, but you should have no problem replacing and installing the two screen by themselves.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
droid 2, motorola, repair, screen assembly, screen guide
Previous Thread Next Thread