Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,290 Members 53,240 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide

Tip us?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
Post Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide

Motorola Droid 2 is fairly easy to take apart but most screws are hidden under cleverly designed stickers and hard to find. This take apart repair guide should help you take apart the Motorola Droid 2 safely, in a step by step manner, giving you a chance to replace faulty parts.

This guide should help you replace the following parts:
  • Motorola Droid 2 A955 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer
  • Motorola Droid 2 A955 LCD Screen Replacement Display
  • Motorola Droid 2 Replacement Battery

Tools:
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • T3 Torx Screwdriver
  • Safe Open Pry Tool

Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide:
  • The first step is to power off the phone; remove the back cover, the SIM, micro SD card and then the battery. The micro SD card slides right out with just a slight push of your finger.
  • The Droid 2 is held together by a number of screws. The first screws are revealed when you peel off the sticker located on the bottom of the Droid 2 as shown below. Once these screws are removed the back end of the casing will have to be gently pried off using the safe open pry tool. Just slide the pry tool in between the opening and run it along the edges of the phone.

• Five pressure type contacts hold the headphone jack firmly against the camera's gold pads which allows for easy data exchange.
  • The speaker of the Droid 2 is held in place by the pressure of both halves of the phone's case which is why it can easily be taken off once the back has been removed. However be careful because the gold sticker you see stuck to the speaker's housing is an antenna.
  • Since both the antenna and data ribbon cables are too tiny to disconnect from the motherboard by hand you will need to carefully use the safe open pry tool to pull it out from it's socket.
  • Using the T5 Torx Screwdriver you will have to remove the screws that hold the motherboard in place after which you will need to disconnect the keypad's data cable on the flip side of the board.

• If you need to replace the camera you just need to pull it out as it's a separate circuit.
  • Before you remove the small board located on the bottom of the Droid 2, you will first need to disconnect the antenna's ribbon cable, the vibrator motor and its control buttons. Then using the safe open pry tool the board can be easily lifted off.
  • You should now also be able to lift off the black rim of the phone and remove the screws that hold the sliding display in place, this should give you the first glimpse of the phone's LCD.

• Before you take out the front panel you need to disconnect its cable and lift out the earpiece.
  • The small keyboard assembly will need to be disconnected using the safe open pry tool prior to removing the LCD.

Your Motorola Droid 2 is now completely disassembled. Replace any faulty parts to make your repairs and then follow this guide in reverse to reassemble your phone.
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MissionImprobable
Old
(Last edited by MissionImprobable; 11th July 2012 at 08:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 858
I'm thinking that this will be my best bet. Half the screen is dead and $20 bucks sounds a bit better than $150 for a new D2 or $200+ for another device. There literally isn't a single 4G device out right now on Verizon that I'm interested in. I'm holding out hope that when Sony and a few others release the last of their devices rumored or discussed for this year something worthwhile will drop; otherwise I'm on to T-Mobile I think.

Anyway, has anyone put in the work and done this? I've watched a video and it seems tedious more than difficult, especially some of the final steps. Any input is appreciated.

Looking a little further it seems I should probably replace the LCD while I'm at it. Still that's only about $50 for everything.

circa881
Old
Thanks Meter 37
My D2 is updated to the latest firmware and I know somebody that has an older D2 with a broken screen so I'm going to try this and see if I can have a rooted D2 again :P
Samsung Continuum|EC07 Clean FroYo
Motorola Droid X2|CM7
HTC Rezound|CONROM
Samsung Fascinate|CM7
Motorola Droid 3|Stock|Company Phone
Asus Nexus 7|Liquid Smooth
Motorola Droid 2|LiquidICS
HTC Incredible|CM7
Samsung Nexus 10|AOSP
Samsung Galaxy Nexus|AOKP

Click the smiley for a free Dropbox account --->

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
The repair is quite tedious. Not difficult, just adhesive everywhere. Use the downloadable version of this Droid 2 guide here.
Repair Technician

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,476

DONATE TO ME
bump
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future

jake.mcgee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Do you have a fused screen assembly for this model?

AECRADIO
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Droid 2 RF board and connector locations (pics)

Here's a recent repair I performed to a defective D2, A955.
The main board holds the camera, and is the connection point for the keyboard, LCD and digitizer, as well as the SD card.

You can see how tiny the connectors are, and they ARE easily damaged if you attempt to yank them out, or force the header back into the socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0790.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2237958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0791.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	2237959   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0792.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	2237960   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0793.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	2237961  

AECRADIO
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default The working result of a main board replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AECRADIO View Post
Here's a recent repair I performed to a defective D2, A955.
The main board holds the camera, and is the connection point for the keyboard, LCD and digitizer, as well as the SD card.

You can see how tiny the connectors are, and they ARE easily damaged if you attempt to yank them out, or force the header back into the socket.
Here's the working result of the main board replacement performed on a Droid 2, A955
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0794.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	2237984  

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake.mcgee View Post
Do you have a fused screen assembly for this model?
We do not, but you should have no problem replacing and installing the two screen by themselves.
Repair Technician

Tags
droid 2, motorola, repair, screen assembly, screen guide