Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,432 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How compatible is the atrix with T-Mobile?

Tip us?

GoodFoot
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuoten18 View Post
Actually make search for (atrix on t mobile) you'll find another disscussion about the same topic and will find the guy that I menstioned before ...

As New user I'm not allowed to post links but that what he said exactly
"Yo I got it to work with simple mobile with their 4g. Just go to gsmhosting forums and buy a code from their advertised sites. They email it to you in 5 minutes, just input imei and that it."
That code process is to unlock the phone to enable it to be used with networks other than AT&T. But that doesn't get you data speed any faster than 2G/Edge using an Atrix on T-Mobile's network.

Enforcerman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm a little confused here. You guys are saying that the Atrix will only get 2G/EDGE speeds on TMobile because the frequencies are different.

I am currently using the Nexus One.. how is it that I'm getting 3G speeds with a phone that is compatible with both AT&T and TMobile then??

Doesnt this mean that the Atrix should be able to get 3G speeds as long as it has the appropriate software? or am I not understanding something..

bimmerboii
Old
Thanks Meter 76
There are 2 kinds of nexus ones.. one with AWS bands (tmobile) and one with the regular 850/1900 (ATT). That's why you see them work on both tmobile and att. But a single device won't work on both bands.

It is a hardware issue. No software flashing will be able to fix it. If you bought the wrong one then you're stuck with it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Sign up here for FREE 2GB Dropbox Cloud Storage and get an additional 500mb space!

deduction
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuoten18 View Post
don't judge me ... I did my homework
... Just kinding

Actually make search for (atrix on t mobile) you'll find another disscussion about the same topic and will find the guy that I menstioned before ...

As New user I'm not allowed to post links but that what he said exactly
"Yo I got it to work with simple mobile with their 4g. Just go to gsmhosting forums and buy a code from their advertised sites. They email it to you in 5 minutes, just input imei and that it."
False. There's not a chance in the world that is true. T-Mo USA and AT&T use mutually exclusive bands. No carrier-branded phones carry both bands. The only modern phone that carries bands necessary for 3/4G on either network would be the upcoming, not-for-sale/developer-only Nokia N950.

vinay427
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deduction View Post
False. There's not a chance in the world that is true. T-Mo USA and AT&T use mutually exclusive bands. No carrier-branded phones carry both bands. The only modern phone that carries bands necessary for 3/4G on either network would be the upcoming, not-for-sale/developer-only Nokia N950.
The Nokia N8 and E7 also have the 3G frequencies necessary for both At&t and T-mobile, as well as Europe/Asia (850/900/1700/1900/2100). However, I agree with you that no At&t/T-mobile branded device carries all the needed bands.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Touchscr.../dp/B003ZX7RL4

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked.../dp/B0046LTU9G

Sinful Animosity
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Vibrant can be used on T-Mo and AT&T as well
Current Gems:
Atrix HD
HTC Hd2
Mytouch 4g slide
HP TouchPad

Enforcerman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboii View Post
There are 2 kinds of nexus ones.. one with AWS bands (tmobile) and one with the regular 850/1900 (ATT). That's why you see them work on both tmobile and att. But a single device won't work on both bands.

It is a hardware issue. No software flashing will be able to fix it. If you bought the wrong one then you're stuck with it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Ah, I see. I didnt realize that there are 2 types of the Nexus One.
I had assumed that since they are not branded by any carriers that they were all the same device.

Thanks

I was really hoping to have my TZones internet plan, which runs at 3G speeds on the Nexus, run on an unlocked Atrix but that doesn't look possible.

Are there any phones newer than the Nexus One that will work with Tmobile 3G and are unbranded by Tmobile?
The branded Tmo android phones lock out my Tzones.

bimmerboii
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcerman View Post
Ah, I see. I didnt realize that there are 2 types of the Nexus One.
I had assumed that since they are not branded by any carriers that they were all the same device.

Thanks

I was really hoping to have my TZones internet plan, which runs at 3G speeds on the Nexus, run on an unlocked Atrix but that doesn't look possible.

Are there any phones newer than the Nexus One that will work with Tmobile 3G and are unbranded by Tmobile?
The branded Tmo android phones lock out my Tzones.
Here's a list of phones that will work with tmobile 3G. Take your pick. You may have to source it from somewhere else if you wish to buy it unlocked and unbranded.

The Nexus S is unlocked and unbranded even if you get it from tmobile. But since you are coming from the Nexus One, it is up to you if its worth the upgrade. Other than the Nexus S, have a look at dual core phones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3...e=0&sFreeText=
Sign up here for FREE 2GB Dropbox Cloud Storage and get an additional 500mb space!

squirlley64
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Atrix on t-mobile

i am currently running atrix 4g on system version 4.5.141 and android version 2.3.6.. I am rooted and have and unlocked boot loader. I also got the unlock code for my phone and it was successful and i am now running T-mobile sim chip i am only getting the Edge .. I have a thought as if you could change the phone frequency settings with sqlite editor i mean if you can disable the entitlement_check to enable theathering with AT&T's 2gb plan then we should be able to figure out how to change the frequency ratings of the phone to be able to run on t-mobiles 4g ... I wish that someone with a little more Knowledge could help out with this..