[Q] Possible to root on Sensation XE ICS

Search This thread

ThomasAndroid

Mar 21, 2012
Singapore
I am really a noob at rooting, though there are easy steps. However this confuses me. So if anyone can find a very good guide for rooting my Sensation XE running on ICS, that is noob-friendly.

EDIT: All I need to do is to downgrade my HBoot version to 1.17.xxxx - but I want to find the easiest way to do that.
EDIT2: I unlocked my phone's bootloader. Doesn't help with S-Off though. :/
I will have to wait for Revolutionary to update their tool so that my phone can S-Off (since my phone is 1.27.0000)
May I can downgrade my phone back to Gingerbread, but how? And it looks risky, will that can brick my phone?

I'll press the Thank button if your post is helpful enough. :)

Last edited:

XaQi 101

Mar 23, 2012
I know.

I rather have to wait for Revolutionary tool to update or try to solve this: [Guide] Successful S-OFF after (wrong S-ON) brick for ICS/GB ,Downgrade S-ON firmware

:/

Maybe you will try to use Unlock Bootloader from htcdev.com but I can't make sure because I already S-OFF before rooted. But if you find a way to S-OFF you may would like try method above which I use.

I hope you have been s-off before update because unrevoked won't support it right now. If it show LOCKED on bootloader, this is how I root my Sensation XE.

1. Unlocked the phone using htcdev.com account since no other's method seem possible right now. But if you device already unlock you do not have to do this.
Go to hTCDEV register, click "Unlock Bootloader" and follow the instruction.

2. Install custom recovery, since htc recovery won't flash/install flashble zip correctly. For this I use "Android Recovery Manager". Reboot the phone after unlocked process. Connect the phone with usb cable. Open the Android Recovery Manager > Start > ** Download a recovery ** > HTC Sensation > ClockWorkMod 5.0.2.0 (Pyramid) > follow the instruction on the software. If stuck when device reboot to flash hboot but not yet flash it because can recognised the FASTBOOT(Android Recovery Manager waiting for FASTBOOT). Take out battery, reconnect usb and boot to FASSBOOT.

3. Flash the supersu, as the Android Recovery Manager finish flash the ClockWorkMod you have to install Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip. If fail retry flash 2-3 times, but I am just done 1 time, before on GB I flash two time because fail at 1st time. And now you rooted and reboot your phone.

Try at your own risk.

Summary :
Download Android Recovery Manager and Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip, place the Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip on sdcard. Unlock the phone on htcdev.com, install custom recovery with Android Recovery Manager and flash the supersuser.

* use Superuser version 3.0.7 because the lower version won't support ICS. Use link given and download the right version.

I am using this method on Sensation XE, so try at your own risk. I will not responsible to anything happen. And please do make sure you backup your device first.

# Just hit the thanks button so I and other's will know this method also work for you ;p

randzre

Mar 28, 2012
Maybe you will try to use Unlock Bootloader from htcdev.com but I can't make sure because I already S-OFF before rooted. But if you find a way to S-OFF you may would like try method above which I use.

Man, this solved my problem thank you very much.... btw what rom would you recommend? ARHD? or any?

appreciate the help

Raven2k

Dec 31, 2011
I'd start with ARHD as it is close to stock, stable and offers SebastianFM kernel which is great.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA

randzre

Mar 28, 2012
I'd start with ARHD as it is close to stock, stable and offers SebastianFM kernel which is great.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA

thanks,

btw, do you happen to know how to solve this,

superuser can't update latest SU binary update, it says failed to gain root access.

titanium backup says the same too "no root access"

do you know a link for the latest su binary update? I flashed the

superuser - 3.0.7-d-signed

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

that su zip didnt work on my ICS but this one did Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip thank man for pointing me on the right direction

Qiwei

Jan 4, 2011

Hi sorry i happened to come across this thread.
I did your method, was able to unlock but i couldnt acheive S-OFF on it.

Qiwei

Jan 4, 2011
Me too.

Actually, that method only unlocks bootloader. :/

ya.. haha trying to find out how to get s-off on it..

Update: Hey say thomas you able to get into clockworkrecovery? cause i managed to get in.. just wondering how to flash the Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip.
Any idea?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know.

I rather have to wait for Revolutionary tool to update or try to solve this: [Guide] Successful S-OFF after (wrong S-ON) brick for ICS/GB ,Downgrade S-ON firmware

:/

I hope you have been s-off before update because unrevoked won't support it right now. If it show LOCKED on bootloader, this is how I root my Sensation XE.

1. Unlocked the phone using htcdev.com account since no other's method seem possible right now. But if you device already unlock you do not have to do this.
    Go to hTCDEV register, click "Unlock Bootloader" and follow the instruction.

2. Install custom recovery, since htc recovery won't flash/install flashble zip correctly. For this I use "Android Recovery Manager". Reboot the phone after unlocked process. Connect the phone with usb cable. Open the Android Recovery Manager > Start > ** Download a recovery ** > HTC Sensation > ClockWorkMod 5.0.2.0 (Pyramid) > follow the instruction on the software. If stuck when device reboot to flash hboot but not yet flash it because can recognised the FASTBOOT(Android Recovery Manager waiting for FASTBOOT). Take out battery, reconnect usb and boot to FASSBOOT.

3. Flash the supersu, as the Android Recovery Manager finish flash the ClockWorkMod you have to install Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip. If fail retry flash 2-3 times, but I am just done 1 time, before on GB I flash two time because fail at 1st time. And now you rooted and reboot your phone.

Try at your own risk.

Summary :
    Download Android Recovery Manager and Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip, place the Superuser-3.0.7-d-signed.zip on sdcard. Unlock the phone on htcdev.com, install custom recovery with Android Recovery Manager and flash the supersuser.

* use Superuser version 3.0.7 because the lower version won't support ICS. Use link given and download the right version.

I am using this method on Sensation XE, so try at your own risk. I will not responsible to anything happen. And please do make sure you backup your device first.

# Just hit the thanks button so I and other's will know this method also work for you ;p
    I have found this to be a very useful guide with ICS https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KEQCpmcLGjbkeLmVU0mpLSwZvjNqLSAmNBqyKMus3Ag/edit?hl=en_US
    You may also want to check youtube for the unlockr video tutorials, they typically refer back to xda, but will help if you need a visual reference.
    This is the guide to follow:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192300

If anything in the guide is confusing, Google it as once you get your head around it it's simple!
    Read the guide, it's all there...Steps 1-3 will do the job ;)