Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 51,589 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nandroid Help

Tip us?

Jay3161
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nandroid Help

Hi

I messed up my phone today trying to revert back using a nandroid backup i had.
Problem is, when i restored it, my captivate would get to the splash screen and just go on forever. I thought maybe it will take awhile but no, it keeps going and ive left it for so long.

Im running Team ICSSGS along with IcyGlitch B5.

I can get into the OS after i format everything but i wanted to get back into my phone with all my apps still there.

Any help please?

Thanks

pc103
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Copy Glitch V14 B6 to your SD card, then try a fresh restore, followed by flashing B6 before you reboot.

bravomail
Old
Thanks Meter 338
Question Say, what is Nandroid

Never did Nandroids. Just backed all my apps, account and Wi-Fi settings by TiBu. Then copied /sdcard/TitaniumBackup into computer.

Does Nandroid knows the filesystem to format etc? And if apps were on SDCard - will it really restore them?
Author of Nostalgia 8 for ATT SGS3, 1.5, 2.3 and 4.0.4 ICS ROMs for Samsung Captivate. ROM and APK compressor.

Jay3161
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
pc103, i tried that several times to no avail.
i finally installed appextractor and used that and did pretty much what i needed. not all my user data is there but thats ok, saves me from having to redownload everything.

pc103
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravomail View Post
Does Nandroid knows the filesystem to format etc? And if apps were on SDCard - will it really restore them?
Good details are at What exactly is a nandroid backup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3161 View Post
pc103, i tried that several times to no avail.
i finally installed appextractor and used that and did pretty much what i needed. not all my user data is there but thats ok, saves me from having to redownload everything.
Check out the smbk functions in Super Manager. They let you choose between [sys] / [user] apks +/- data when restoring. That and Super Backup makes an easier reload when Nandroid's not an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to pc103 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p1gnone
Old
(Last edited by p1gnone; 29th March 2012 at 11:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravomail View Post
Never did Nandroids. Just backed all my apps, account and Wi-Fi settings by TiBu. Then copied /sdcard/TitaniumBackup into computer.

As a longtime TIBU user I have run into trouble. I was using ROMs in the i9000 [Saurom, Continuum, Apex] family but also Native I897 ROMs [ Serenity, SaruromKK4]. Never a complaint due to TIBU. But moving over to CM9 and 4.0.4 IMM30B I have found that a full restore breaks things. Both the media player and messaging stop working [some installs]. I have had to be selective, and ...

Nandroid? pc103 links to info that shows Nandroid will not replace TIBU.. Perhaps TIBU has more control/functionality than my FULL restore approach.
i605: CM10.2 nightlies --originally rooted 20121203

They Drew First Blood
Old
Thanks Meter 232
I'm almost positive nandroid does recognize the file system- I think that is the point of nandroid basically, to take a snapshot of your entire phone including file systems and cache- but I ran into issues restoring apps with TiBu after a nandroid backup/restore between two rom versions, and it seemed to be due to a different format of file system. I'm no expert however...

lufc
Old
Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Thanks Meter 1485

DONATE TO ME
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions &
Read the Forum Rules Ref Posting

Moving to Q&A
Pay attention and participate,Encourage,
not discourage, Listen to advice and accept instruction,
and in the end you will be wise.......... Prov. 19:20