[MOD] HULU Flash Hack - Flashex 2.05(5/2/12) Auto Hex-edit libflashplayer.so

Search This thread

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
The command I'm using is
Su
Sh /mnt/sdcard/flashex2/flashex202.sh

I think it might be my version of busybox. I think its a modified version because rooting ICS on the a100 was a difficult process. It also says not to update busybox because root will be broken.

Sent from my A100 using XDA Premium HD app

Ok, not sure then. My guess it might be processing quotes diffrently. Because the first lines on your output says

Found Busybox in /system/xbin which is good an expected.

but then it says

grep: v: No such file or directory

from the equivalent of

/system/xbin/busybox | /system/xbin/grep "BusyBox v"

This should give back the line from Busybox that says the version. Instead it seems that your busybox grep ignored the double quotes and searched for the pattern "BusyBox" in file "v" instead.

If I knew how your busybox was dealing with quotes IE " ` ' (they all do diffrent things in Bourne but it's supposed to be consistent other wise everything beyond the most basic commands are broken.) I could probably write you a version to work, but without knowing what's wrong with the Bourne(sh) interpreter in that busybox you have I wouldn't know what to change since I'm following correct syntax already.

Last edited:

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Originally Posted by Joecascio2000
The command I'm using is
Su
Sh /mnt/sdcard/flashex2/flashex202.sh

I think it might be my version of busybox. I think its a modified version because rooting ICS on the a100 was a difficult process. It also says not to update busybox because root will be broken.

This isn't the current ICS method everyone is switching to is it?

I was going to upgrade from HC to ICS, but if I will end up stuck with some fubar Busybox I don't think I'm interested.

Last edited:

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop

I was going to upgrade from HC to ICS, but if I will end up stuck with some fubar Busybox I don't think I'm interested.

Any version of busybox will work with rooted ICS. ZeroNull found a way to mount /system writable and used a script to replace busybox mount and /system/bin/mount. The usual "mount -o remount,rw /system" doesn't work but "mount -o remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system/" is one of a few other ways that do work. I'm using busybox 1.20 compiled from source and use a modified version of ZeroNull's mount.sh as /system/bin/mount and /system/xbin/mount.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Any version of busybox will work with rooted ICS. ZeroNull found a way to mount /system writable and used a script to replace busybox mount and /system/bin/mount. The usual "mount -o remount,rw /system" doesn't work but "mount -o remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system/" is one of a few other ways that do work. I'm using busybox 1.20 compiled from source and use a modified version of ZeroNull's mount.sh as /system/bin/mount and /system/xbin/mount.

Cool, I was wondering. I could swear I read that the current ICS could obtain write to /system and even get CWM working. I havn't had time to read em all though so I wasn't sure.

I guess that means Joecascio2000 can upgrade his busybox then he may just have to remount /system first or somthing I guess.

I'm still on HC currently. I would like to upgrade but It's my only Android Device/phone type thing and I use it allot and have no money to replace it if it breaks. So I want to be cautious. Im able to do what I need to anyway with it as is. Mostly I want to get it upgraded in hopes of maintaining root on the device, and I would very much like working CWM.

Reactions: Joecascio2000

Joecascio2000

Yay! I successfully update busybox using the Jrummy version and ran the script and it worked. Watched my first clip on hulu. Thanks.

After updating busybox, root access still seems fully functional and I can still mount system as rw/ro in root explorer. So all is good.

Anything else I need to do?

Reactions: NoSudo

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Yay! I successfully update busybox using the Jrummy version and ran the script and it worked. Watched my first clip on hulu. Thanks.

After updating busybox, root access still seems fully functional and I can still mount system as rw/ro in root explorer. So all is good.

Anything else I need to do?

Nope, you shouldnt need to do anything else. Sounds like Hulu is working for you now.

If you would like the script to run automatically you can install Script Manager from the Market. Im currently using it, and have the script setup to run at boot as su. This way I never have to go run the script manually. I just watch hulu when I feel like it, and if I see a message about an Adobe Flash update I either restart my device, or run the script manually to create an updated mod file and poof hulu support all the time automatically.

Otherwise if you prefer you can just run the script to copy the modified file over when you feel like watching hulu and leave it at stock the rest of the time. Again Script Manager is nice for this too because it allows you to make an icon on the home screen of your tablet that launches the script like an app.

Here is a link to Script Manager

Last edited:
Reactions: Joecascio2000

Joecascio2000

Nope, you shouldnt need to do anything else. Sounds like Hulu is working for you now.

If you would like the script to run automatically you can install Script Manager from the Market. Im currently using it, and have the script setup to run at boot as su. This way I never have to go run the script manually. I just watch hulu when I feel like it, and if I see a message about an Adobe Flash update I either restart my device, or run the script manually to create an updated mod file and poof hulu support all the time automatically.

Otherwise if you prefer you can just run the script to copy the modified file over when you feel like watching hulu and leave it at stock the rest of the time. Again Script Manager is nice for this too because it allows you to make an icon on the home screen of your tablet that launches the script like an app.

Here is a link to Script Manager

Thanks all good then. I just added a shortcut to run the script when I want too. That way it doesn't run on startup. I don't like when apps do.

g4ry12

Oct 17, 2011
Worked very well, thank you. Checked an episode on Hulu, with Dolphin browser, and it played fine.

The phone is Samsung Galaxy S 4G, rooted and unlocked, running stock Gingerbread with a slightly modified stock kernel.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Yep, It shouldn't cause any instability at all. If somthing crashes it's VERY unlikely it would be the result of the script. It's just an Automated Hex-editor as far as changes It changes AND to WIN. It does it on more versions, and with less hassle then any other method I'm aware of though.

What it WONT do is fix your tablet if you already have some stability issues. It also WON'T make an old tablet perform faster or enable it to do stuff it's too slow for. It just enables you to view sites that restrict content to Android Devices that would be available to PC via flash. It also wont enable you to use other Windows Plugins in the browser.

If you have a device that supports Flash 11 and some with Flash 10 it should be powerful enough to watch hulu, BUT some old 550mhz single core may be choppy etc. I can't help you with that.

----------------------------Edit----------------------------
Well after getting my tablet upgraded to 4.0.3 and installing the latest version of Dolphin HD and trying to play video with both STOCK Flash and edited Flash. I have come to the conclusion that Dolphin HD has some serious stability issues at present. It wont even play you tube videos in full screen with STOCK(unedited) flash player. It will play video but freezes up as soon as I select full screen mode. I am able to play you tube vids via chrome without a hitch, but chrome doesnt have the "desktop" option, nor does the stock ICS browser(unlike the HC stock browser). I hope this will be resolved with a patch to Dolphin.

I was able to watch hulu IF I didnt try going full screen. Since I get the same issue with you tube with the unedited libflashplayer.so. Im convinced it has NOTHING to do with the script. I did notice even without going full screen the new Dolphin HD does still have some stability issues. I read allot of reviews in play.google.com that say the latest version Dolphin is unstable. I'm guessing it could have to do with the changes to sonar but I'm not sure. I'll post again when I know more.

Last edited:
Reactions: illego

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
After upgrading to the ICS .014 release and FlexReaper 3.1 I can confirm the script still functions and enables viewing hulu.com full screen or in a page. However Dolphin HD will ONLY stay reliable when the video is in default scale/on a page. If you try to full screen it will hang, and you will have to clear cache on Dolphin.

It works fine in Full Screen Mode via the stock browser, BUT you will have to choose to "request desktop site" each time you open the browser before hulu will load videos for ya. After that you can browse find the vid you want, and watch it in default OR full-screen. I had some issues with Chrome Beta. For now I would say the stock browser configured correctly works just fine provided you remember to "request desktop site" each time. Cause the setting doesn't keep after each session.;)

Last edited:

KyleK29

Oct 15, 2006
Good work.

Doesn't work on my Asus Transformer with Revolver 4rc1. Came here from a thread you posted on those forums. I'm using the latest version of flash. It runs, clears busybox and then says "No source files ...". Verified all paths located in the script.

Any ideas? Anyone willing to upload the latest lib file? I can block updating and force a cp script on boot.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Good work.

Doesn't work on my Asus Transformer with Revolver 4rc1. Came here from a thread you posted on those forums. I'm using the latest version of flash. It runs, clears busybox and then says "No source files ...". Verified all paths located in the script.

Any ideas? Anyone willing to upload the latest lib file? I can block updating and force a cp script on boot.

The source file gets created so it will always say that the first time it is run. If it didn't say success blah blah at the end, then it didn't find a file in an expected location or has a permission issue. If you can PM me or post the output from the script I should be able to either tell you what to do, or make an update to support your configuration.

I have been wanting to make a new version and use "find" to locate and test all the required files and commands anyway as soon as I get the time.

I wont have any/much time to trouble shoot anything till wed may 2st. I just wanted to provide a quick update about your post at least though.

Last edited:

KyleK29

Oct 15, 2006
The source file gets created so it will always say that the first time it is run. If it didn't say success blah blah at the end, then it didn't find a file in an expected location or has a permission issue. If you can PM me or post the output from the script I should be able to either tell you what to do, or make an update to support your configuration.

I have been wanting to make a new version and use "find" to locate and test all the required files and commands anyway as soon as I get the time.

I wont have any/much time to trouble shoot anything till wed may 2st. I just wanted to provide a quick update about your post at least though.

I appreciate the reply. The output is this (from SManager)

Code:
exec sh '/mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/flashex.sh'
/ # exec sh '/mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/flashex.sh'
================================================
Found busybox, grep and sed in /system/xbin
Confirmed execute permission for /system/xbin/busybox
Busybox v1.19.0

Source Files Doesn't Exist

.. and it sits. I usually end up killing it after about 5 minutes.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia

Code:
Busybox v1.19.0

Hey, still no time to check it out. BUT I do notice you are running an Un-Stable version of Busybox(1.19.0) You should update busybox for sure. The current(stable) version is 1.19.4.(latest is 1.20.0) You can check out http://www.busybox.net/ for more info.

If you would like you could add "-x" to tell more of what is going on. like this

sh -x flashex204.sh

via terminal instead of Script Manager. It enables a type of debug mode that gives allot more information about how the shell is handling the code. Sorry I will have more time in a few days. If you do try the debug mode feel free to post the result and I will take a look at it.

If I had to guess I would say the issue lies with permissions or similar to do with /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so, because the script currently only checks for it's existance in the next line of the script, but I don't have enough info to say yet for sure. then it runs strings which could in fact cause a loop(hang) if it couldnt read the libflashplayer.so. Easy enough for me to add another check to stop that as soon as I have time(tomorrow evening)

Here is what the output would normally look like when you don't yet have the hex edited soure file made;

exec sh '/mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/flashex204.sh'
root@android:/ # exec sh '/mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/flashex204.sh'
======================================================================
BusyBox v1.19.4

Destination File: /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so
Destination Ver: Adobe Flash says AND(Androiud) v1111157
Detected READ access for /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so

Checking... /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so
preparing to copy and edit file........
Copy: /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/cache/libflashplayer_PREMOD looks good
======================================================================
Preparing to create a hexdump.........
Dont panic...This could take over a minute on a Tegra 2..
Its Converting an 8MB or so Binary on a little tablet...Just wait its fine
Created a hexdump of /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/cache/libflashplayer_PREMOD
=====================================================================
Preparing to edit /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/cache/libflashplayer_HEXDUMP..
This might take a minute too....
/mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/cache/libflashplayer_HEXDUMP has been edited...
Converting /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/cache/libflashplayer_EDITED to binary...
Binary File: /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/WIN_libflashplayer.so created...
Checking Binary file /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/WIN_libflashplayer.so...
HEXEDIT SUCCESSFUL
File: /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/WIN_libflashplayer.so now reads as
Version: WIN 11,1,115,7\n
Preparing to copy edited file to Adobe Flash....
Version WIN 11,1,115,7 detected continuing...
Checking Permissons for: /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so....
Confirmed write access to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so...
Confirmed: AND 11,1,115,7 in /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so...

Backup already exists..as /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/ORIG_libflashplayer.BAK leaving it as is

Preparing to Write /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/WIN_libflashplayer.so to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so\n
File copied...Checking /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so...
diff says the files Look the same...continuing checks...

Found WIN 11,1,115,7 inside /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so...

All Tasks Completed Successfully
REMEMBER you MUST ALSO set Web Browser to Desktop in settings
then you can enjoy watching Hulu in your browser

Last edited:

illego

Aug 12, 2010
Working great here. Just had to install the new busy box.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia

Code:
Busybox v1.19.0

I pushed out an update to address this. I wont know what else might have to be done to support the ROM you are using until I get some feedback or debug output though.

Well after not hearing back from this guy and getting positive feedback from others that also updated to a new ROM and found 2.05 resolved the issue. I will assume this is fixed. Until/unless I hear otherwise. I'm guessing it was busybox.

Last edited:

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Well Adobe Flash got another update lastnight for ICS. It's up to 11.1.115.8 now, and again Flashex automaticly detected my update and edited a new copy.

I can also verify that hulu.com still works via browser after the update/edit.

g4ry12

Oct 17, 2011
The Flashex script worked great with stock based Gingerbread ROMs on my Samsung Galaxy S 4G phone. But after I moved to a MIUI based ROM, it stopped working. I thought it was an outdated script version issue, but apparently it was not. Recently Flash Player got updated, and the latest version of Flashex was still throwing this error message:
Code:
unknown operand
ERROR02: Unable to get the expected results from the strings grep sed lines(s)
But I found a workaround. I deleted all files in the Flashex's folder, and the /cache folder too. Basically, I deleted everything that was created by the script on its previous run, leaving only the script itself. I ran Flashex then, and that time it worked flawlessly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FLASHEX 2.05 (unified release 4)(Release Date: 5/2/2012)

Description
    Flashex is designed to allow people using an Android device to watch hulu and some other restricted sites with Adobe Flash Player and a properly configured web browser as if it was a Windows PC. Dolphin HD Stock Browser(choose "request desktop site" in menu each time) is a good choice but any browser that allows you to act as Desktop via settings should work.

Note: Dolphin HD has some issues with full screen video at the moment so I have switched over to useing the stock browser and selecting "request desktop site" from the upper right-hand menu for now this works and has good full screen performance on FlexReaper and Stock ICS 4.0.3.

How it works
    The script will look for libflashplayer.so then attempt to create a copy, edit the copy, and copy the edited version back. It stores the edited copy, and writes it over the default file each time it's run. It will check the version of the current libflashplayer.so file each time before it copies the edited version over. If libflashplayer.so's version has been upgraded or downgraded it will make a new copy, edit, write it back and store the new one to use each time. I suggest using Script Manager to run the script at boot once you run it the first time manually to make the first edited copy.

What's New in Version 2.05?

-Added a few more checks for libflashplayer.so to help improve troubleshooting and configuring on different ROMs and to eliminate the possibility of a hang if libflashplayer.so is not readable.
    (Still waiting on feed back and/or -x mode debug output reports. feel free post them or better yet PM them to me)

What's New in Version 2.04?

-Added support for Custom BusyBox from CynogenMod (BusyBox 1.19.4-cm9) when testing the Busybox version

What's New in Version 2.03?

-Added checks to verify Busybox location, permisssions, and version to verify compatability and inform the user if they need to update/reinstall busybox or make a configuration change.

-Various minor refinements.

-Can now safely be test run on ANY device since it will verify the location of all required elements prior to performing any task.
    NOTE: This doesnt mean it will enable hulu on an old 500mhz 2.2 device, just that it should be safe to use to modify Adobe Flash on any device capable of properly running it.(If your Adobe Flash is installed in a diffrent location you will need to configure the script to point it's install directory, or put a copy of your libflashplayer.so file into the Flashex2 directory and name it AND_libflashplayer.so and copy the resulting WIN_libflashplayer.so back by hand if you prefer.)

What was new in Version 2.02?

-Fixed various typoes in output messages

-Added a fix for people having issues with strings, grep etc returning as not found when /system/xbin is either not in the users default $PATH or is too low in the list to get used.

What was new in Version 2.01?

-Many minor bug fixes

-Scripts have been unified into a single script.

-Made some changes to how version checking is done

-Script is safer, more reliable, and easier to use over all.(at least IMO hehe)

-Automatic re-edit of edited source file, when either an upgrade or downgrade is detected. This allows the script to be run at boot via Script Manager, or other while still leaving, Adobe Flash to auto update.

-Script is now a single executable file that will both hex edit Adobe Flash(each update), and copy the edited file over to /data when needed.

-Improved version detection

-Improved output messages

Some notes on running during bootup
    Once you have decompressed the Flashex2 folder and flashex.sh script to /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2 you will be able to run it automatically at boot via Script Manager if you wish. I currently have been using it this way. I have tested it performing the hexedit during a boot up. It works fine.

Known Limitation
    Note: This only applies to auto-running the script via Script Manager, Cron, what ever It takes about 2 minutes with a Tegra 2 to complete the hexedit of the file.
    Because of this when booting after an update to libflashplayer.so it will be editing the file for a min or two after your home screen shows. You will want to wait 3 min or so to be safe before you try to use Adobe Flash. This will ONLY happen when the version changes. Since Adobe Flash isn't changed that often it's not a big deal.

The rest of the time, it will be the same version so it will just take a few seconds to copy the file over. This allows you to just watch when you like even right after a system boot.

Install Instructions

Quick Directions:
    Download file, unzip/extract the Flashex2 folder and it's contents, copy it to the sdcard to end up with /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/flashex.sh. Run flashex.sh as root. Set web browser to Desktop. Enjoy watching hulu.

Full Directions:

When using Flashex205.zip via a File Manager like Astro for example.
    1) Either download Flashex204b.zip directly to your tablet, or copy it to a micro SD card via PC.(note: you could unzip the contents in Windows if you prefer)

2) Save, Copy or Move Flashex205.zip to /mnt/sdcard/ It has a folder inside already of the correct name.

3) Open Flashex205.zip, then copy/paste the whole folder to /mnt/sdcard/
    Note: After you do this you should have a folder named Flashex2 on your internal sdcard example: /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2

4) Inside the Flashex2 folder from the zipfile is flashex.sh

5) run flashex.sh either via terminal emulator or with an app like Script Manager.

The script "can" be run without root, BUT it will only make the hexedited file. It MUST be run as root if you also want the script to install the edited file so you can watch hulu. You can also copy the file by hand.

When using flashex205.tar.gz via a terminal emulator do the following.

1) Either download the file directly to your tablet, or copy it to a micro SD card.

2) Copy or Move the file to /mnt/sdcard/
    example(copy): cp /mnt/external_sd/flashex205.tar.gz /mnt/sdcard/
    example(move): mv /mnt/external_sd/flashex205.tar.gz /mnt/sdcard/

3) unzip and untar the Flashex folder and flashex.sh script from flashex205.tar.gz
    gzip -d /mnt/sdcard/flashex205.tar.gz
    tar -xvf /mnt/sdcard/flashex205.tar

Note: If you get an error saying not found. Your trying to install it in a diffrent location then it's currently configured you can probably figure out how to make it work easy enough. Just remember to set the path to the script inside the script it's self so it knows where make/read the edited file.

4) Now change working directories and run the script.
    cd /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2

5) Run the script(su is optional, but running as root it wont copy the edited file over)
    su
    sh flashex.sh

Note: I suggest using sh before the script name though it's not nessesary if the path to sh at the top of the script matches yours.

Confirmed Compatable Device List(Make sure you are rooted if you want to use the script to install the modified file)

Acer Iconia A100, A200, A500 HC or ICS, FlexReaper ------ Use Latest Version
    Samsung Galaxy S 4G rooted modified Gingerbread 2.3 --- Use Latest Version
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE ----------------------------------- Use Latest Version
    Asus Eepad Transformer Prime ------------------------------- Use Version 2.2 or Latest Version
    Motorola Droid Razr ------------------------------------------- Use Latest Version
    HTC EVO 3D --------------------------------------------------- Use Latest Version
    HTC EVO 4G running mikg v11 ------------------------------- Use Latest Version

Note: Any Device that is compatable with Adobe Flash and capable of playing hulu videos(500 Mhz or better ARM7 CPU 256 MB ram, Android 2.2 or better) that has been rooted and has busybox installed should be compatable

If you are attempting to use a Busybox older then v1.18.1 You will have to change a value at the top of the script before attempting to run it since I'm not sure how old of versions are 100% compatible.
    ===============================================
    ATTN: SUPPORT, QUESTIONS, COMMENTS
    If you need help getting it to work for your device and cant post in this section you can follow this
    ->SUPPORT LINK HERE

You can PM me or you can also try me on Twitter

Legal Info
    Flashex205.sh was made by NoSudo for personal use
    anyone may use it or change it but I retain creative
    licence for my work. You should only take credit for your
    changes.

I take no reponsablility for anyone elses actions. If you break
    something or violate any rules it's on you.

If you wish to try and make money on it or use it for any comercial
    venture I expect to be contacted and informed so I may negociate
    an acceptable for profit licence with compensation.

This software is FREE and yours to enjoy, give away, edit, use for Non-Profit purposes ONLY.

A NOTE ON VERSIONS!
    I recommend the use of the latest version Flashex204.sh. If you have old versions installed. MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE RIGHT ONE. It's up you to reconfigure Script Manager etc. so don't forget or it will keep running the old one.

ALSO Please remember to hit that Thanks button if you find my script useful.
    Thanks for this. Confirmed working on Nexus 10 tablets.

I've also posted a noob-friendly tutorial using your script on the Nexus10 XDA forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2099327

Works Great, crashes on Full screen mode in most browsers though

This works for Amazon Prime Instant Videos as well... just an FYI!:eek::D
    I have been doing a little version testing.

I can confirm that flashex v2.01 does edit other versions so far I have tested it with. I just tested with 11.1.115.7 and it works fine via xxd. Im going to test on Android with Busybox's hexdump next.

I can also confirm that it works on 11.1.111.8 since my tablet just auto-updated. I simply ran the script and updated my hexed version from 11.1.111.7 to 11.1.111.8 as designed.:D