Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,206 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HELP!!! TG01 goes into super S-L-O-W mode

Tip us?

CrashMurdock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpwhite View Post
Jim,
You didn't mention which File Explorer you are using - the native MS one which won't do the job or a 3rd party such as Resco or Total Commander which will. I suspect that it may be a .cpl file rather than an .exe. Where did you identify as an .exe initially ?
I've been using Total Commander for the reason you just mentioned but it was the excellent FdcTaskMgr (v3.3) that revealed that device.exe had absolutely run amok. FdcTM not only shows file extensions, but under CPU Usage also lists the percentage of CPU cycles for each entity/executable file and also shows a graph of overall CPU load. Until then I thought something was forcing the CPU into minimum speed in spite of me having set it for max performance, or that the phone's CPU was simply dying. Since FdcTM glaringly revealed that device.exe was continuously consuming between 95%-100% CPU cycles I realized the hardware was OK, it simply had no CPU cycles available to do anything else. I couldn't even make a call. There would also be a huge delay after clicking on any icon before anything would actually happen. And of course, my battery usage was all over the place. I now understand why.

Thanks again Kevin! Let me move to the next post.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - 16GB, Rooted OEM JB 4.1.2, 64GB C10 mem card, 6500mAh 'fat' battery kit - Wifi no longer connects :^(
Toshiba TG01 - WM6.5 (fxdjacentyfxd ROM) & my custom Samsung Note '1' 2500mAh battery mod in Mugen (2600mAh) back cover
HTC 8525/Hermes/TyTN - Custom WM6.0 ROM & 3000mAh Cameron Sino 'fat' battery kit

CrashMurdock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyloh6696 View Post
Hey Jim,
I think what fxdjacenty wants to say, is did you also do a hard reset after a ROM flash? (This is a must!)

Will lead to problems if you don't.

Also a tip I gathered to stop problems, is

1) Hard reset current ROM
2) flash stock ROM
3) hard reset
4) flash desired custom ROM
5) hard reset
6) soft reset.

And see how it goes! I had a few problems during my ownage with the TG01 (problems with sense .it loading)
Hi Oly,

I have only done one hard reset so did not do a hard reset after loading Kevin's or Jacenty's (twice) ROMs and the phone worked perfectly for a long time. But ooks like my work is cut out for me now!

Thanks so much!!!!
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - 16GB, Rooted OEM JB 4.1.2, 64GB C10 mem card, 6500mAh 'fat' battery kit - Wifi no longer connects :^(
Toshiba TG01 - WM6.5 (fxdjacentyfxd ROM) & my custom Samsung Note '1' 2500mAh battery mod in Mugen (2600mAh) back cover
HTC 8525/Hermes/TyTN - Custom WM6.0 ROM & 3000mAh Cameron Sino 'fat' battery kit

CrashMurdock
Old
(Last edited by CrashMurdock; 30th March 2012 at 08:04 AM.) Reason: Update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Jim,

There are two Registry entries as follows:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\HCI - contains a Key DisableSleep. DWord should be zero.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Transports\Built In\1 - includes same Key as above

I think this relates to the Sleep mode you mentioned having activated originally. It may be that this Reg entry is proving persistent for some obscure reason..... could be a tie in with the behaviour you described of clearing the SLOWdown by toggling BT.

May be completely off-beam, but a possibility....

Regards,

Kevin
Thanks for the tip Kevin!!! I'll certainly take a look at these settings. The sad part about this whole fiasco is the phone has been working flawlessly except for this device.exe problem. Witnessing the fact that WM6.5 websites are slowing disappearing I've spent countless hours recently trying to snag the best WM6.5 apps and utilities and even a game or two that will show off the TG01's prowess, i.e., those with genuine 480x800 graphics, which are far and few between. I've also customized the SPB homescreens with my favorites. So I get the phone just like I want it and POW I've got to start from zero again because maybe I was stupid and pressed an option button that I had no idea what the functionality was (Restrict Sleep Mode). I only clicked on it because I've been using a stereo BT headset for a while now and didn't want the Sleep mode to interfere with my tunes while out bicycling, etc.

Again, thanks so much Kevin!!! With you guys great advice I'm sure I'll have this thing cruising again soon.

Cheers,

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------
Update:
According to this WM website:
HTML Code:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/32297/Visualizing-the-Windows-Mobile-Virtual-Memory-Mons
Quote:
Device.exe is the Windows Mobile process that is in charge of loading all the device drivers on the system. This means that drivers that come from Microsoft, the OEM device maker, the cell carrier, and ISVs, all have to fit in the same 32 megabytes. Of course, drivers vary from device to device according to what the OEM maker and the cell carrier decide to install, and so the amount of free virtual memory available for third party drivers varies as well. As a result, an ISV application that requires a driver may work fine on one device, but may not even load on another!
This means I haven't pinpointed the exact cause, just that it's something under device.exe's control. I'm more curious than ever now to know what EXACTLY is causing the malfunction!

kevinpwhite
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMurdock View Post
..........I've also customized the SPB homescreens with my favorites. So I get the phone just like I want it and POW I've got to start from zero again............
Jim,

This is where the idea I mentioned previously of saving your custom settings and then creating a .cab of the Registry entries come into its own. The trick is to identify where each key application stores its settings; set it up exactly the way you want it and then save into the .cab file. That means in order to restore the look and feel of your setup, including things like device Name, your name and address, email, wifi access point details, etc. You just need to execute the .cab and soft reset and everything is exactly as you want it. A whole bunch of settings can be combined into a single .cab, eg. jimsettings.cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMurdock View Post
Update:
According to this WM website:
HTML Code:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/32297/Visualizing-the-Windows-Mobile-Virtual-Memory-Mons
This means I haven't pinpointed the exact cause, just that it's something under device.exe's control. I'm more curious than ever now to know what EXACTLY is causing the malfunction!
That makes for interesting - but puzzling - reading. I don't have any specific new ideas but will continue to think about it. My son is coming home in a few days and I want to have a look at his TG01 which he's reported is having similar dead S L O W problems. He has been doing similar things to you in terms of a hard reset and then having restored which should be a 'good' master backup we made (Sprite Backup) when I did the original software build on top of my own ROM. I anticipate re-flashing and then trying a restore from the gold build again and seeing what happens. Also I want to replicate on a separate TG01 with the same backup as a control so we can try and eliminate the device itself from a hardware point of view.

Best regards,

Kevin
Devices:
1). Toshiba TG01 - WM6.5 custom ROM (TG01_KPW121227.001) + 128GB Sandisk uSDXC UHS-I + Mugen 1.3Ah battery
2). Toshiba e830 WiFi+BT, WM2003SE + OzVGA; 32GB CF, 4GB SD, Garmin cfQue 1620 GPS; Audiovox GSM/GPRS data CF; Socket LP-E Ethernet
External Storage
250GB ext'l HD (Toshiba 1.8" in compact USB enclosure + LIon battery + custom cables)
Multimedia:
Audio: PocketMusic 5.3.5 up to 1141k kBits/s (.wav) + Westone W4R canalphones, Video: Skinned Core Player MPEG 1 up to 8MBits/s
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinpwhite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CrashMurdock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Jim,

This is where the idea I mentioned previously of saving your custom settings and then creating a .cab of the Registry entries come into its own...
Thanks for explaining this process in more detail. Is this less work than 'cooking' a custom Rom with all my stuff?

Quote:
My son is coming home in a few days and I want to have a look at his TG01 which he's reported is having similar dead S L O W problems.
Obviously after my round-and-round sojourn I recommend checking CPU Usage with FdcTaskMgr. It may not be device.exe causing the mischief, but FdcTaskMgr should reveal what is as it really is a great tool. I'm curious to know what you find out with your son's TG01. Good luck!

Cheers & THANKS SO MUCH for trying to help me get this mess sorted out!

Jim

CrashMurdock
Old
(Last edited by CrashMurdock; 16th September 2012 at 05:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Talking Update - S-L-O-W mode is gone...

YAY!!! The slow mode has vanished. I was having to turn on Bluetooth before turning off the phone every time otherwise the next time I turned on the phone it would automatically go into speed of carpet mode. I did a gazillion soft resets and even two master resets. The problem would go away for a short time after each master reset but then would return within a few days.

I've just now replaced my custom dual Cameron-Sino soldered-together battery pack (initially a triple battery rig) as my charging meter has been getting progressively less accurate causing the phone to shut off in the middle of calls due to 'low battery' condition, which was false. I have just installed a genuine Samsung Galaxy Note 2500 mAh battery that required a start-from-scratch mod. Here's my post describing the mod with photos:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889350
What to my surprise this morning when I turned on the phone and had forgotten to turn on Bluetooth before shutting down last night, but the phone is at normal speed. I've rebooted it several times and the slow problem is gone again. Sure hope it's permanent this time as I still like my TG01, although seriously want the Galaxy Note 2 when it comes out or may wait for the Galaxy S3 to come down in price a bit and pick one up.
Tags
reboot, slow, tg01, wm6.5