Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chargers Matter

Tip us?
 
cpurick
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 181
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default Chargers Matter

FWIW, I think I may have traced my recent charging problems to a Belkin USB charger at my office. On this power source, the battery indicates charging from USB, and apparently there's not enough current to keep up with the demand of the device. It discharges continuously with the screen on, and only keeps even with the screen off. The only way to charge with the Belkin is to turn the phone off.

With the included HTC adapter at my home, however (and with a Motorola adapter left over from a previous phone), the Rezound will charge with screen off, and perhaps even a little with the screen on. Allowed to charge overnight, I do not have to turn the device off when using the HTC charger. On this charger, the phone indicates AC power.

Of course, none of this was an issue before I took the ICS leak. Even though I've gone back to GB, I still have the ICS firmware, and I suspect something different in there is affecting charging.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if HTC simply lowered charging rates as part of a campaign to deal with widespread heat issues. If you were trying to cool the phone, that's definitely something you would consider tweaking.
 
thatsricci
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 305
Join Date: Nov 2011
For sure, it's a known issue, some chargers give the full 1A ( the phone indicates AC charging) and some only give 400ma or less (USB Charging).

Search around for chargers and there's good discussion on AC adapters that work well, and even how to modify a USB wall/car charger to give a full AC amount.
 
a.mcdear
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 452
Posts: 1,695
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Both my gigabyte and msi motherboards are able to deliver up to 1.5A via the USB ports, and are even able to charge my phone (or tablet) when the computer is OFF.
My Devices:
Nexus 7 - Android 4.4.2 [CarbonROM]
Rezound - Android 4.4.2 [CM11]
TF101 - Android 4.2.2 [EOS4] + KAT-kernel by timduru
MOTOACTV - Android 2.3.4 [ReACTV AOSP]
 
thatsricci
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 305
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.mcdear View Post
Both my gigabyte and msi motherboards are able to deliver up to 1.5A via the USB ports, and are even able to charge my phone (or tablet) when the computer is OFF.
for sure, but i bet your phone is only commanding 500ma from it since the phone is usb 2.0 spec... I too have a power port on my laptop to charge things when the laptop is off but it doesn't get over usb 2.0 spec because of the phone :x

I've tried everything, short of trying to make, or looking for, customized drivers to overload it.
 
a.mcdear
Old
(Last edited by a.mcdear; 30th March 2012 at 10:57 PM.)
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 452
Posts: 1,695
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsricci View Post
for sure, but i bet your phone is only commanding 500ma from it since the phone is usb 2.0 spec... I too have a power port on my laptop to charge things when the laptop is off but it doesn't get over usb 2.0 spec because of the phone :x

I've tried everything, short of trying to make, or looking for, customized drivers to overload it.
You might be right when it comes to the Rezound, but I know for a fact that it is capable of supplying more than 500mA to some devices for charging. It charges my TF101 even with the screen on, which every other computer with ordinary USB ports seems incapable of doing. If I plug my TF101 into any other computer with a standard USB 2.0 port, it will still slowly discharge if the screen is on and I'm using it.

Either way, I notice absolutely no difference between charging via USB on my computer or via the actual charger, so I'm relatively sure the USB port IS outputting at least the full 1A that the actual charger is rated at, and I am NOT using a kernel with the "fast charge" mod..

I haven't really spent much time noticing how slowly the Rezound would charge on a regular USB 2.0 port. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my laptop tonight just to test it out.

Or, a simple ammeter would probably put the issue to rest definitely.. I wonder if I know anybody with one I could use.....
My Devices:
Nexus 7 - Android 4.4.2 [CarbonROM]
Rezound - Android 4.4.2 [CM11]
TF101 - Android 4.2.2 [EOS4] + KAT-kernel by timduru
MOTOACTV - Android 2.3.4 [ReACTV AOSP]
 
nosympathy
Old
#6  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,132
Posts: 2,381
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cincinnati

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.mcdear View Post
You might be right when it comes to the Rezound, but I know for a fact that it is capable of supplying more than 500mA to some devices for charging. It charges my TF101 even with the screen on, which every other computer with ordinary USB ports seems incapable of doing. If I plug my TF101 into any other computer with a standard USB 2.0 port, it will still slowly discharge if the screen is on and I'm using it.

Either way, I notice absolutely no difference between charging via USB on my computer or via the actual charger, so I'm relatively sure the USB port IS outputting at least the full 1A that the actual charger is rated at, and I am NOT using a kernel with the "fast charge" mod..

I haven't really spent much time noticing how slowly the Rezound would charge on a regular USB 2.0 port. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my laptop tonight just to test it out.

Or, a simple ammeter would probably put the issue to rest definitely.. I wonder if I know anybody with one I could use.....
Or you could use a battery charging app to verify what rate it is charging at.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel
 
zetsumeikuro
Old
#7  
zetsumeikuro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 874
Posts: 3,371
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Or you could use a battery charging app to verify what rate it is charging at.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA
Which app do you use?


 
plcline
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 41
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsricci View Post
for sure, but i bet your phone is only commanding 500ma from it since the phone is usb 2.0 spec... I too have a power port on my laptop to charge things when the laptop is off but it doesn't get over usb 2.0 spec because of the phone :x

I've tried everything, short of trying to make, or looking for, customized drivers to overload it.
Use a charging only cable, i.e. Naztech Micro USB Charging Cable (sorry, don't remember who initially pointed to this), and the phone will see the source as an outlet and not a usb port.
 
a.mcdear
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 452
Posts: 1,695
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by plcline View Post
Use a charging only cable, i.e. Naztech Micro USB Charging Cable (sorry, don't remember who initially pointed to this), and the phone will see the source as an outlet and not a usb port.
Well that makes sense, any USB cord without data points can only provide power and therefore the phone wouldn't be able to determine whether its a computers USB port or a charger. When the data pins are present, the phone must request a high-power mode from the computer in order to obtain the full 500mA on standard ports, or 1.5A in the case of some newer boards as I mentioned earlier.
My Devices:
Nexus 7 - Android 4.4.2 [CarbonROM]
Rezound - Android 4.4.2 [CM11]
TF101 - Android 4.2.2 [EOS4] + KAT-kernel by timduru
MOTOACTV - Android 2.3.4 [ReACTV AOSP]

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Share Your Thoughts Anonymously with A Minimalist Social Network

Nowadays, almost everyone has a second life onthe Internet. Among the best … more

Enable Heads Up Notifications For The Sprint Galaxy S3

Heads up notifications, in case you didn’t already know, are an experimental … more

Android One Goes Live in India!

Android One is a Google initiative set to bring an AOSP-like experience tosome emergingmarkets like India, … more

XDA and LeaseWeb: Win Free Server Trial and Moto 360

As you might recall from a previousBehind the Scenesarticle we wrote, XDA’s … more