Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[CWM][ALL] Base CWM zip packages - just add APPS!

OP cheatman

30th March 2012, 06:35 PM   |  #1  
cheatman's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Migration Institute
Thanks Meter: 2,014
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Donate to Me
More
Ok forum, so I got this idea: because a lot of people ask for CWM packages of this and that, why not let them create CWM flashable stuff without having to beg devs or other users to make them?

I think it saves them (yes, I am talking about YOU!) and us the trouble. So I created these two base CWM flashable zips to get everyone started:
  1. Data_Skeleton.zip - Used for apps that you can uninstall afterwards.
  2. System_Skeleton.zip - Used for anything that should be installed as a system app

Now, a short guide on how to use them:

1. Download the appropriate ZIP for what you plan to package. If you want to make a regular app package use Data_Skeleton.zip, for system apps, use System_Skeleton.zip.
2. Open the zip file with anything else other than Windows Explorer! Use 7zip, winzip, winrar or anything else, just not Explorer!
3. Look inside the zip! DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING! All you need to do is ADD STUFF!
4. Browse into the "data" or "system" zip folders, then down into the "app" folder inside.
5. After you get to the "app" folder, copy and paste the APKs you want to flash in the folder.

REMEMBER: do not DELETE anything! ADD APK files ONLY in the "app" folder.

6. Wait for the APK files you copy to get added to the archive.
7. Close the archive.
8. Rename and copy the archive to your SD card.
9. Boot into CWM and flash the copied zip file you just created.
10. Enjoy!!

Sooooo, quick 10-step process into cooking you own CWM Zips. You can do much more with them than flashing apps, but for general purpose usage, this should be enough!

Thanks and complaints go underneath.

PS: this idea was given to me by lambstone in a separate thread! Thanks a lot mate!!!

Peace,
C.
Attached Files
File Type: zip System_Skeleton.zip - [Click for QR Code] (187.3 KB, 2270 views)
File Type: zip Data_Skeleton.zip - [Click for QR Code] (187.3 KB, 1956 views)
Last edited by cheatman; 31st March 2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: thanks given!
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to cheatman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2012, 06:55 PM   |  #2  
qm4n76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gorontalo
Thanks Meter: 106
 
334 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Nice thread, waiting for other..............
30th March 2012, 08:54 PM   |  #3  
ayysir's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,196
 
4,464 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
There's market apps that does this I.e apps2zip

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayysir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #4  
cheatman's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Migration Institute
Thanks Meter: 2,014
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Donate to Me
More
Ayysr,

App2zip works well for this purpose, but only when it works. There are apps that can't be zipped correctly, mainly those that rely on libs, media and/or other files that can't be included automagically. Needless to say that some apps (mainly games and such) store data on the SD card.

All of this can be easily accomplished by copying the files in a zip file; also learning something about Android in the process, wouldn't you say?

Peace,
C.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheatman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 01:08 AM   |  #5  
ayysir's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,196
 
4,464 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatman

Ayysr,

App2zip works well for this purpose, but only when it works. There are apps that can't be zipped correctly, mainly those that rely on libs, media and/or other files that can't be included automagically. Needless to say that some apps (mainly games and such) store data on the SD card.

All of this can be easily accomplished by copying the files in a zip file; also learning something about Android in the process, wouldn't you say?

Peace,
C.

Your right, I was not trying to deny your effort in any way

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
The Following User Says Thank You to ayysir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 02:38 AM   |  #6  
cheatman's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Migration Institute
Thanks Meter: 2,014
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Donate to Me
More
I actually wasn't expecting anyone to comment on this thread to begin with
The fact that you mentioned app2zip is perfect! I know the intent is not to deny my effort, in fact, I am happy new information surfaced because it's useful and appropriate.

Very few contribute to such posts with relevant info for others. I think this is the point: sharing insightful and relevant stuff with others. But judging by the number of thanks you have, you already know this very well already

So, thanks! And glad to have you in my thread

Peace,
C.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheatman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 06:24 AM   |  #7  
qm4n76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gorontalo
Thanks Meter: 106
 
334 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatman

I actually wasn't expecting anyone to comment on this thread to begin with
The fact that you mentioned app2zip is perfect! I know the intent is not to deny my effort, in fact, I am happy new information surfaced because it's useful and appropriate.

Very few contribute to such posts with relevant info for others. I think this is the point: sharing insightful and relevant stuff with others. But judging by the number of thanks you have, you already know this very well already

So, thanks! And glad to have you in my thread

Peace,
C.

have trying to put 5 apk files on data/app exactly doing what it's in your post, then rename it to apk.zip, but when i'm trying flashing from cwm it's geting error
E:Can't open /sdcard/apk.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted
do I miss something??
edit: i'm using data_skeleton.zip
Last edited by qm4n76; 31st March 2012 at 06:35 AM.
31st March 2012, 11:59 AM   |  #8  
cheatman's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Migration Institute
Thanks Meter: 2,014
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Donate to Me
More
Make sure you don't extract the ZIP. Open it and add files. If you extract it, you get that error message (usually). That is a problem related to the unzip process in CWM, it's not very "compatible"

I have also re-upped the DATA CWM zip, maybe it got borked in the process. So download again from first post. It works on my tab. You can test it by just getting the zip and flashing it empty, like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheatman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 12:30 PM   |  #9  
qm4n76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gorontalo
Thanks Meter: 106
 
334 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatman

Make sure you don't extract the ZIP. Open it and add files. If you extract it, you get that error message (usually). That is a problem related to the unzip process in CWM, it's not very "compatible"

No dude, I do not extract the zip file, I do exzctly what you said in 1st post, just open it with winrar, look for Data-app, then adding apk files on app section/folder inside the zip files, i just try once again to make sure, and i just add 1 different apk file, but still not work, btw i always use this same method before when I' want to replace boot animation for ICS CM9 ROM and adding some apk file to ROM file, and it's always work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatman

I have also re-upped the DATA CWM zip, maybe it got borked in the process. So download again from first post. It works on my tab. You can test it by just getting the zip and flashing it empty, like that.

will try this one..,
EDIT: have try your 2nd Data_skeleton.zip, it's work when flashing from cwm with or without add apk files, but not with previous zip file, thought the problem it's coming from your zip file..,
Last edited by qm4n76; 31st March 2012 at 12:40 PM.
31st March 2012, 12:49 PM   |  #10  
cheatman's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Migration Institute
Thanks Meter: 2,014
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Donate to Me
More
Glad the second one works!
Thanks for letting me know the first zip was borked!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheatman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes