Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which SIM card is best and why? Yes there is a difference.

Tip us?

brentil
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I'm having super nasty reboot issues, but I also have the SIM from my T-Mobile Wing still so I'm going to go swap it tomorrow and see if it at least helps.

rukawa2k
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I just chatted with T-Mobile customer rep online and she swap for me in 5 mins. Painless process.

Mysticales
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Been curious lately myself. To Tmobiles reps surprise when I told them. (After they said I wouldnt have 3g or 4g) I told them I am still using my simcard from 2003.. from my Nokia 3650! I use it in my G1, I have used it in my HD2 with Android and Better windows rom for HSPA (4g) just fine..

Reps didnt really believe I am using that old of a sim card. I am however. Data speed seems fine to me. Wouldnt mind being proven wrong if a new sim style has faster speed.

I will believe the new sim cards have larger space for contacts tho.

The main reason I think there are new sim cards and they are being pushed, is due to sim cloning. Older sim cards could be cloned so you could put multiple numbers on 1 sim, or just clone it to prevent swapping. Newer sim cards however, cant really be cloned. So if you want my thoughts, its not about the data, its about the security.
~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~
Galaxy S4 (At&t) - Stock 4.3 Rooted
Dell Streak 7 - Streakdroid R8
Ouya - (and my review)

KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
Thanks Meter 79
That's a good observations.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE
MADE IN: KOREA
MANUFACTURE DATE 04/19/2011

STOCK

SANDISK: 4 GB CLASS 4 MICRO SD CARD.

idbl_fanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2thad View Post
well in their defense , they said new sim card in respect to at some point in time they changed how thw sim cards were made and was concern if i had an old one seeing as I've been with then for years...
but
ugh I wish I got speeds like that northern cali speeds suck ...
in sacramento I get maybe 1mb if I'm lucky usually around 0.85mb/s

sent from my G2X with no regrets
I am in Northern Ca too, and I am getting between 2.5-4M down, and 1.1-3 Up

fabricatedhero
Old
Thanks Meter 46
As far as how GSM works i know the carriers network information is on the sim card not the phone. Hence why you can swap GSM carriers on your phone at any time. The sim card carries the prl which instructs the phone what towers to use. So getting a new sim card once or twice a year would seem like a good idea.

This is my guessamation lol

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

JaiaV
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Older SIM cards, unlike the newer ones, have an activation limit (usually ~90,000 or so). Once this limit is reached, the SIM card will not connect to the network anymore. The 'activation' event occurs each time your modem connects to a new cell radio on the towers. This wasn't a large issue with GSM/EDGE because they had a larger cell radius and your phone would use data less. With HSPA(+), your phone can make hundreds of connections in a day, sometimes thousands.

Mysticales
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiaV View Post
Older SIM cards, unlike the newer ones, have an activation limit (usually ~90,000 or so). Once this limit is reached, the SIM card will not connect to the network anymore. The 'activation' event occurs each time your modem connects to a new cell radio on the towers. This wasn't a large issue with GSM/EDGE because they had a larger cell radius and your phone would use data less. With HSPA(+), your phone can make hundreds of connections in a day, sometimes thousands.
Never seen or heard this one before. I mean using it since 2003 to now. I would be sure over my time and travel I wouldve connected that much and more.
~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~
Galaxy S4 (At&t) - Stock 4.3 Rooted
Dell Streak 7 - Streakdroid R8
Ouya - (and my review)

arvonn
Old
Thanks Meter 19
First off - there is supposedly a problem for Wifi calling and the G2X and the TM9177 sim card,
many seem to find that switching to an older TM9073 (or TM9035) SIM card fixes the wifi calling problem.

see: http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/10103?tstart=0

see: http://support.t-mobile.com/message/68263

I had the older TM9073 which worked great for 2g/3g/HSPA+/wifi calling- but it died on me while traveling for work, and I was fortunately able to stop by a T-mobile store, and they gave me a new SIM --- the TM9177 --- which works fine for 2g/3g/HSPA+... but wifi calling is a mixed bag, it works on some ROMS, but not otthers.. whereas before the TM9073 works for all ROMs.

DJLamontagneIII
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3303

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvonn View Post
First off - there is supposedly a problem for Wifi calling and the G2X and the TM9177 sim card,
many seem to find that switching to an older TM9073 (or TM9035) SIM card fixes the wifi calling problem.

see: http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/10103?tstart=0

see: http://support.t-mobile.com/message/68263

I had the older TM9073 which worked great for 2g/3g/HSPA+/wifi calling- but it died on me while traveling for work, and I was fortunately able to stop by a T-mobile store, and they gave me a new SIM --- the TM9177 --- which works fine for 2g/3g/HSPA+... but wifi calling is a mixed bag, it works on some ROMS, but not otthers.. whereas before the TM9073 works for all ROMs.
+ 1 my new SIM didn't like wifi calling at all... but switched to the TM9073 and never had a problem since on any rom.

Sent from my HellfireKindle using Tapatalk 2