Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 48,485 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Custom Icons with livetile (not xboxmod)?

Tip us?

Titeufblaugrana
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Custom Icons with livetile (not xboxmod)?

Hello there

Ive got a little question: Since there is no HTC Mozart ROM with cooked in custom icons (I hope there will be one somewhen) and the XBMOD CAB sender gave me an error ("Update Failed") (I had Deepshining 8017 ROM installed) and locked my device again, I thought about modifying my AppIcons with Advanced config, but I think I remember that this actually breaks the live tile function, which is of course a no go for me (hit me if Im not right )
So the next thing I thought about is replacing the default icons through Windows Phone Device manager or Windows Mobile Device Center.
Is it even possible to do this with these tools?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2644
You trying to replace built-in tiles, or the icons from apps? The latter is easy on a full-unlock ROM like yours. Use a filesystem manager (WPDM or Root Webserver will make it easy to do this from the PC) and go to \Applications\Install\<GUID-OF-THE-APP>\Install\ and find the images you want to replace. Delete them and replace them with your own preferred ones.

If it's for built-in apps, then I do not know a way to solve the problem.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Titeufblaugrana
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I dont want to replace entire tiles, but
Im trying to replace the Icons
from default:

to something like that:
(for example) without to lose the Live Tile functionality.
So do I understand your answer right (?): I cannot edit the System Apps Icons like SMS, but the ones from other apps like any app from the marketplace or homebrew ones.

drkfngthdragnlrd
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 265

DONATE TO ME
All the icons for the built in apps are store in various DLL's in the /Windows folder. As of right now, there's no way to edit these unless you are cooking a ROM or creating a Custom CAB. The CAB probably isn't working because your ROM probably has a newer build # than his CAB does.
T-Mobile HTC 8X
ROM: Stock | HardSPL:Stock | Radio: Stock

Titeufblaugrana
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfngthdragnlrd View Post
All the icons for the built in apps are store in various DLL's in the /Windows folder. As of right now, there's no way to edit these unless you are cooking a ROM or creating a Custom CAB. The CAB probably isn't working because your ROM probably has a newer build # than his CAB does.
Thats a pitty :\ So I guess i will have to wait until xbmod releases newer CABs or the xbmod ROM