Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,537 Members 37,591 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Dec 27] Ubuntu for HTC HD2 - v0.3 released

Tip us?

hitohito
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello! Can i make a phone call with ubuntu 0.3? First post says yes, without sound. It's true? How do i solve this?

Sopalajo de Arrierez
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default USB network devices not working :(

Thanks a lot for this Ubuntu distro.
USB-Host mode works OK without loosing WiFi: mouse and pendrives do work.
But I can not make work any USB network device:
- USB Ethernet device (USB to RJ45, you know): it is detected (I see it using "lsusb"), Ubuntu configures a new "eth1", I do "sudo ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.55 netmask... etc", the RJ45 light is ON (even at the switch)... but there is no ping reponse :(
- USB WiFi device: I have tested 4 of them. They are all detected (I see them using "lsusb" too), but Ubuntu doesn't configures anything, and "iwconfig" don't show them.

Any advices?
Thanks.

Robbie P
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopalajo de Arrierez View Post
- USB Ethernet device (USB to RJ45, you know): it is detected (I see it using "lsusb"), Ubuntu configures a new "eth1", I do "sudo ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.55 netmask... etc", the RJ45 light is ON (even at the switch)... but there is no ping reponse :(
- USB WiFi device: I have tested 4 of them. They are all detected (I see them using "lsusb" too), but Ubuntu doesn't configures anything, and "iwconfig" don't show them.

Any advices?
Thanks.
Did you change the zImage to ethernet or adb one? Else not sure.
Also not sure about usb wifi, I have always used internal wifi.
Regards

HTC HD2 (EU)
SPL 2.08. HSPL3;
Magldr 1.13 thanks bepe & Cotulla
On NAND - WP7.8 pdaimatejam v8.8 thanks to pdaimatejam, DFT, YukiXDA, xboxmod etc
On SDcards - Numerous Android SD builds & NativeSD ROMs (Thanks boonbing, Xylograph, securecrt & Almighty tytung!)
Radio 2.15.50.14 & Thanks to everyone@XDA
Recognised Contributor Code of Conduct

Learning Never Ends Team member
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbie P For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sopalajo de Arrierez
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie P View Post
Did you change the zImage to ethernet or adb one? Else not sure.
Also not sure about usb wifi, I have always used internal wifi.
Regards
Yes, I did. Only USB-Host zImage success in making my USB Ethernet and USB WiFi devices lights start blinking. ADB and USBEthernet zImages do not
Why, if our kernel is >=2.6, these devices can not start? I thought USBNet core was included in Linux kernel since 2.1 (or before). And Ubuntu 10.10 works like a charm with any wifi device, detecting it at once.

andboy
Old
(Last edited by andboy; 31st March 2012 at 06:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Sounds like you need to configure the kernel to include support for your particular wlan devices. There are general instructions on http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?...rtGuide#Kernel but you will need to search for the correct kernel config options for your wifi devices.

Let us know if you get stuck.

BTW, I think USBNet is something different (connects device to pc via usb cable)
The Following User Says Thank You to andboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

speedwie
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I can't wait to run 0.4 version? Please release? Also, link for 0.3 isn't working.

Sopalajo de Arrierez
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andboy View Post
Sounds like you need to configure the kernel to include support for your particular wlan devices. There are general instructions on http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?...rtGuide#Kernel
This is fine. I will look at this documentation.

Quote:
but you will need to search for the correct kernel config options for your wifi devices.
Mmm... however, Ubuntu v10.10 works fine with practically any wifi USB device, even using package injection. Isn't there a config option to make all of them work?

Quote:
BTW, I think USBNet is something different (connects device to pc via usb cable)
No, I think not. USBNet si the driver that makes USB Network devices work in Linux Kernel:

http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

I believe you refer to what we do call here "USB Ethernet": a connection to PC via USB that gives HTC HD2 a IP address and network capability. There is no RJ45 jack or cable in that.

hopkinskong
Old
Thanks Meter 131

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Any advices?
Thanks.
The ONLY way is using USBHOST's kernel, but not usbnet or adb,
after plugging in those device, try figure out what happened by viewing the kernel log.

Quote:
This is fine. I will look at this documentation.

Mmm... however, Ubuntu v10.10 works fine with practically any wifi USB device, even using package injection. Isn't there a config option to make all of them work?

No, I think not. USBNet si the driver that makes USB Network devices work in Linux Kernel:

http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

I believe you refer to what we do call here "USB Ethernet": a connection to PC via USB that gives HTC HD2 a IP address and network capability. There is no RJ45 jack or cable in that.
Quote:
Desktop version's ubuntu is different from this, at least, the CPU arch. is different.

I see there are few lan drivers in the kernel option, you can look into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hopkinskong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hopkinskong
Old
Thanks Meter 131

DONATE TO ME
btw, can you give me the model(or chipset) name, i want to compile it into my Slackware, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to hopkinskong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sopalajo de Arrierez
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinskong View Post
btw, can you give me the model(or chipset) name, i want to compile it into my Slackware, too.
Well, I do have several USB WiFi devices. I can give you model and chipset names.
There is a long time since the last time I made any Linux kernel compilation, so I am not very used to the procedure right now. Are you going to compile them into a next release of this Ubuntu for HTC HD2 or similar? If yes, could you please share the results, so we all can test it?

Tags
支持!!!!!