XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial] Xperia S/P/U/Sola Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking

Tip us?

kazuni
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1961 View Post
Firstly, thank you. A simple question: I followed all the instructions and after some issues with the driver installation I got past the '0.5 value' point and all seemed to go well, but how cn I tell that the 'phone now has an unlocked bootloader ? On my Nexus I got a nice unlocked padlock symbol at reboot. On this there was a vague 'complete' message at the end of the Command Window stage.
Once it's unlocked, you don't see a difference; there is no indication during bootup like the galaxy nexus padlock symbol

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikiduck View Post
Can the phone's bootloader be unlocked by only connecting it to SEUS?

Or do I have to wait?
You may try it here
It's a service provided by Sony itself, but it will void your warranty doing so.
(p.s. of course you can always re-lock it)
Pre-requisite is that your phone is not locked by service provider though.
HTC One
Xpera Z + SanDisk 64GB
Astell and Kern / Rainbow Audio RAWK100 + 2xSanDisk 64GB
SGS3 LTE /w kzn v1.0 ROM + SanDisk 64GB
SGS3 /w Omega v27.2 ROM + SanDisk 64GB
Previous Devices:
HTC: Rezound, Desire Z, HD2, Hero, Dream, Touch, Atom, Tytn II, 838 Pro
Samsung: P6800,P7500,N7000,I9250,SHV-E160S,I9200,I9100,I9000,F388
Sony: Arc, X10, XPS
Apple: 2,3G,3GS,4,4S,iPad2,iPad3,iPadMini
Mods for I9305 > Chinese IME - 15 Button toggle Mod - Note 2 Gallery + Camera Mod - Extended Power Menu
The Following User Says Thank You to kazuni For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wing_zero8556
Old
(Last edited by wing_zero8556; 30th March 2012 at 01:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
so what should you do when your phone doesnt turn on anymore after unlocker the bootloader LOL it was fine until i had to hold down power and vol up to reset it and yeah its like dead now

edit: nvm i had to leave it for a bit then hold down power and up key

Emrul
Old
(Last edited by Emrul; 31st March 2012 at 07:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD View Post
Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader of the Xperia S.

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will NOT BE WIPED!!!

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

why to unlock bootloader?

Boss, getting following message when trying unlock bootloader.

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
  2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
  3. SE/Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011 line (they had ICS alpha/beta), so who knows may be SE/Sony may give early builds of ICS (JellyBean???)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done on user darkpisces's phone so thanks a lot to him for helping me out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]
  • get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
  • download the fastboot package with usb drivers (alternate drivers if the ones in package dont work)
  • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
  • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, extract the above package and point the driver install to that location (usb_driver) folder
  • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)
  1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
  2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
  3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
  4. you will get "are u sure prompt" accept it by clicking "yes i am sure" (i assume that u have read an understood it)
  5. then accept the "legal terms"
  6. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
  7. You should now receive your unique unlock key, its displayed on screen, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
  8. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
  9. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
  10. Select 'Open command window here'
  11. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
  12. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
  13. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
  14. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
  15. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
-Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to...-play-neo-pro/
-Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
(the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia S)

Info on Relocking bootloader is in next post
Boss, getting following message when trying to unlock bootloader in command window.

F:\Mobile\android-sdk_r17-windows\android-sdk-windows\fastboot>fastboot.exe -i 0
x0fce getvar version
version: 0.5
finished. total time: 0.000s

F:\Mobile\android-sdk_r17-windows\android-sdk-windows\fastboot>fastboot.exe -i 0
x0fce oem unlock 0x85920DA3DE7BEE94
(bootloader) Unlock phone requested
FAILED (remote: oem unlock failed!)
finished. total time: 0.109s

F:\Mobile\android-sdk_r17-windows\android-sdk-windows\fastboot>

Need your suggension. Thx.

DooMLoRD
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 34177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrul View Post
Boss, getting following when trying to unlock bootloader.

x0fce getvar version
version: 0.5
finished. total time: 0.000s

x0fce oem unlock 0x85920DA3DE7BEE94
(bootloader) Unlock phone requested
FAILED (remote: oem unlock failed!)
finished. total time: 0.109s

F:\Mobile\android-sdk_r17-windows\android-sdk-windows\fastboot>

Need your suggension. Thx.
ur unlock key seems to be incorrect... generate another one and try again...
Like my work? Please consider donating via PayPal

Lead Developer of Team UtterChaos & Member of Team ICX

Creator of DooMKernel making those Snapdragons fly higher and faster

Android Devices I use : Sony Xperia Z1, Z, SP, T | WISHLIST: Sony Xperia Z2

Contributions : Generic Android / Xperia X10 / Xperia 2011 devices / Samsung Galaxy S2 / Huawei Ideos X6 / Samsung Galaxy SCL (i9003) / HTC Flyer / Kindle Fire / HTC JetStream / Xperia P, Sola, U / HTC One X / Xperia S / Xperia T, V, TX / Xperia Z, ZL, Tablet Z / Xperia SP / Xperia Z1 / Sony ZU GPe / Xperia Z1 Compact / Xperia Z2, Z2 Tablet / Xperia T2 Ultra

My Apps on Google Play Store | Follow me on Twitter!
The Following User Says Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Emrul
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
ur unlock key seems to be incorrect... generate another one and try again...
Boss, u are absolutely right. Unlock key was incorrect. Now bootloader unlocked. Thx a lot.

tcao
Old
(Last edited by tcao; 1st April 2012 at 04:15 AM.) Reason: more detail
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader of the Xperia S.

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will NOT BE WIPED!!!

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

why to unlock bootloader?
  1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
  2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
  3. SE/Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011 line (they had ICS alpha/beta), so who knows may be SE/Sony may give early builds of ICS (JellyBean???)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done on user darkpisces's phone so thanks a lot to him for helping me out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]
  • get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
  • download the fastboot package with usb drivers (alternate drivers if the ones in package dont work)
  • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
  • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, extract the above package and point the driver install to that location (usb_driver) folder
  • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)
  1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
  2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
  3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
  4. you will get "are u sure prompt" accept it by clicking "yes i am sure" (i assume that u have read an understood it)
  5. then accept the "legal terms"
  6. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
  7. You should now receive your unique unlock key, its displayed on screen, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
  8. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
  9. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
  10. Select 'Open command window here'
  11. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
  12. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
  13. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
  14. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
  15. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
-Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to...-play-neo-pro/
-Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
(the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia S)

Info on Relocking bootloader is in next post
Hi, I cant unlock the bootloader because when i type *#06# in phone dialer to findout my imei code is 15 characters long but it says there should only be 14 characters. I was wondering if you could help me solve this problem.
Thank you

keunhuvac
Old
Thanks Meter 158

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcao View Post
Hi, I cant unlock the bootloader because when i type *#06# in phone dialer to findout my imei code is 15 characters long but it says there should only be 14 characters. I was wondering if you could help me solve this problem.
Thank you
Use first 14 digits.
P/s Dont quote a long content like that.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Unavailable!

spice boy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hiya!

Right, I have managed to get the code from Sony with no issues and I'm ready to go with unlocking my bootloader...

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate x64 and it just wont let me update the driver. Keeps telling me "The best driver is already installed"

I have tried everything I can think of to change it but it just wont let me. The phone keeps switching out of fastboot mode after 3-5 seconds.

Also, the error in windows is showing "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Almost at my wits end!

Can someone be so kind and talk a thicko through it step by step to see where I am going wrong? I have followed the guide here and the youtube vid aswell and I am still hitting a wall

Sikiduck
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuni View Post
You may try it here
It's a service provided by Sony itself, but it will void your warranty doing so.
(p.s. of course you can always re-lock it)
Pre-requisite is that your phone is not locked by service provider though.
Thanks for answer, but when I go to service info to check if my bootloader can be unlocked, it says no.

So how can I unlock my bootloader if it says no in service info? Do I have to wait for any devs to crack through it or what?

K900
Old
Thanks Meter 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikiduck View Post
Thanks for answer, but when I go to service info to check if my bootloader can be unlocked, it says no.

So how can I unlock my bootloader if it says no in service info? Do I have to wait for any devs to crack through it or what?
Yeah, pretty much.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA
For the love of Haruhi, don't PM me with questions. There are Q&A forums for that.