Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,124 Members 42,592 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HD2 Touch Screen Not Responding

Tip us?

snuphy
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Kind of sort of maybe fix?

I love this phone. Mine died almost a year ago. I read all about the issue and decided I didn't want to wait.... So I got a new phone. A few actually over the last year.

Then a friend randomly tells me he has one in perfect condition. Naturally I jump all over it and trade my g2 for it. And I'm in love again with my hd2.

It got me wondering about my old phone again. I realized I don't care if I break the old one but I want to play with it.

I ended up taking a very small flat head screwdriver and separating the glass from the rubber outside below the hard buttons. I was so angry with the device for not working I was just going to snap the screen in half for the hell of it. But when I did this I realized the hard buttons moved a lot... so I stressed it to the max and wiggled the power button a bit and to my surprise the screen is now responsive... Now I have two of these and I don't really care about the recently fixed phone so I've literally been trying to get it to mess up again by pressing the power button really hard and restarting the phone. But for the last few hours or so it's working perfectly.

No idea if this is a viable solution... That's a lie... this is most certainly not a viable solution but those of you out of warranty and an extra hd2 laying around with nothing to lose... why not

bib*oops
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuphy View Post
.. this is most certainly not a viable solution but those of you out of warranty and an extra hd2 laying around with nothing to lose... why not [/B]
You already figured it out: this is just a temporary solution, a definitive one is replacing touchscreen.
If I've ever helped you, don't miss THANKS button
TG01powered by Cedesmith-retired
TMobile HD2/Leo(sim-free)-powered by TBD
Sensation(sim-free)-powered by Android Revolution
I91000(sim-free)-powered by Siyah
SHV-E120S(sim-free)-powered by davidcsv
A kick in the butts is always a step forward...

arbrib86
Old
(Last edited by arbrib86; 6th April 2012 at 09:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish85 View Post
may sound weird but my problem was solved after switching my sd card
holy SH*T... its true...just working after an afternoon trying to find a solution..I just booted nand android without the sd card on the phone....

edit: after a couple of minutes it stoped working again...

eugenile
Old
Thanks Meter 20
This is why I use tablet tweaks so I hardly use the hard keys

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA

kateryaris
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I had the same problem with you at first I thought that it was something wrong with the rom and I did a clean install but the problem was still there. Then I installed the default rom but the problem was still there. Unfortunately it was hardware problem and they had to fix a chip from the phone. I read that many people had similar problems with that because of the overuse of the phone.

mofunkymoney
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default My solution for now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Macgnolia View Post
The digitizer is what is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. But you might as well replace both digitizer and LCD as you can buy them already put together in a combo pack.
eye did soft reset, hard reset, nothing happened... While fumbling with de END KEY, de slider became operable somewhat, so eye use an Xacto blade to pry de edges of de end key & 4now eye got action...

QUEST ION: would contact cleaner cause de end button to get better contact... eye'm figgering at all de action de end button receives + dirt, etc from daily use could cause? button contact problems...

High Chief Otunba Omowale Agbasaga of Ido-Oshun

bib*oops
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofunkymoney View Post

QUEST ION: would contact cleaner cause de end button to get better contact... .
No, howgh!

sakkyoku
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Some have suggested that it's the flex cable that passes under the button. I can confirm that this was the case with mine..when I opened the phone, the cable looked cracked/broken on the edge, presumably from being pinched and pushed under the end call button. I believe that if you are experiencing the problem as described by the OP, it is very likely to be this particular hardware issue and no ROM or tweak is going to fix it. Bending or flexing might help for a while. Minimizing your use of the end call button for waking the phone as soon as you notice this problem beginning will help also, and if you aren't experiencing this problem yet on your HD2 I suggest getting used to waking your phone with other buttons to avoid it. Hope this helps someone.

Crippius
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Here's an answer I made on another thread, you've got all details in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippius View Post
From my own experience :

1. It's a common issue, there are hundreds of reports in this forum and I read them all because I had the same problem some months ago

2. Probably not. It's generally hardware-related and often the digitizer (touch responsive screen) . Brief explanation : There's a flaw in the design of the HD2, the thin cable wiring the digitizer to the motherboard, is just below the power button. After some extensive use of your powerbutton, it might happen that the power button touches the cable and cause some kind of shortcut in it which makes the digitizer unresponsive to the motherboard.

3. I replaced mine here : http://www.htcphonerepairs.co.uk/ . Fast repair, secure shipping to Belgium, good price and excellent customer support. (Sounds like advertizing but I swear to be only a happy customer )

There are also multiple videos on youtube explaining how replacing the digitizer yourself if you dare !

Also, I read answers saying that you can somewhat "play" with your buttons (especially the power one) to turnaround the problem. That's correct, BUT it's absolutely inevitable that the problem with come back again if you use the buttons, and you'll have to force more and more to unblock again and repeat again and a again... and that will damage your button bar.
I did this during almost 2 months and that put down all my buttons and now they are really close to the chassis which is very annoying. If only I knew it before I would have replaced the digitizer directly !

For 6 months with my new digitizer + using ICS with soft buttons, I have no problem at all !

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

bib*oops
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippius View Post
Here's an answer I made on another thread, you've got all details in it

Good point!