Flag Kalifornia
Thanks Meter: 84

188 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecascio2000

The command I'm using is
Su
Sh /mnt/sdcard/flashex2/flashex202.sh

I think it might be my version of busybox. I think its a modified version because rooting ICS on the a100 was a difficult process. It also says not to update busybox because root will be broken.

Sent from my A100 using XDA Premium HD app

Ok, not sure then. My guess it might be processing quotes diffrently. Because the first lines on your output says

Found Busybox in /system/xbin which is good an expected.

but then it says

grep: v: No such file or directory

from the equivalent of

/system/xbin/busybox | /system/xbin/grep "BusyBox v"

This should give back the line from Busybox that says the version. Instead it seems that your busybox grep ignored the double quotes and searched for the pattern "BusyBox" in file "v" instead.

If I knew how your busybox was dealing with quotes IE " ` ' (they all do diffrent things in Bourne but it's supposed to be consistent other wise everything beyond the most basic commands are broken.) I could probably write you a version to work, but without knowing what's wrong with the Bourne(sh) interpreter in that busybox you have I wouldn't know what to change since I'm following correct syntax already.
Last edited by NoSudo; 30th March 2012 at 01:57 AM.
30th March 2012, 01:45 AM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalifornia

188 posts
Quote:

The command I'm using is
Su
Sh /mnt/sdcard/flashex2/flashex202.sh

I think it might be my version of busybox. I think its a modified version because rooting ICS on the a100 was a difficult process. It also says not to update busybox because root will be broken.

This isn't the current ICS method everyone is switching to is it?

I was going to upgrade from HC to ICS, but if I will end up stuck with some fubar Busybox I don't think I'm interested.
Last edited by NoSudo; 30th March 2012 at 01:47 AM.
30th March 2012, 04:08 AM   |  #23  
Throop
Thanks Meter: 78

486 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSudo

This isn't the current ICS method everyone is switching to is it?

I was going to upgrade from HC to ICS, but if I will end up stuck with some fubar Busybox I don't think I'm interested.

Any version of busybox will work with rooted ICS. ZeroNull found a way to mount /system writable and used a script to replace busybox mount and /system/bin/mount. The usual "mount -o remount,rw /system" doesn't work but "mount -o remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system/" is one of a few other ways that do work. I'm using busybox 1.20 compiled from source and use a modified version of ZeroNull's mount.sh as /system/bin/mount and /system/xbin/mount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eww245 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2012, 04:59 AM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalifornia

188 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eww245

Any version of busybox will work with rooted ICS. ZeroNull found a way to mount /system writable and used a script to replace busybox mount and /system/bin/mount. The usual "mount -o remount,rw /system" doesn't work but "mount -o remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system/" is one of a few other ways that do work. I'm using busybox 1.20 compiled from source and use a modified version of ZeroNull's mount.sh as /system/bin/mount and /system/xbin/mount.

Cool, I was wondering. I could swear I read that the current ICS could obtain write to /system and even get CWM working. I havn't had time to read em all though so I wasn't sure.

I guess that means Joecascio2000 can upgrade his busybox then he may just have to remount /system first or somthing I guess.

I'm still on HC currently. I would like to upgrade but It's my only Android Device/phone type thing and I use it allot and have no money to replace it if it breaks. So I want to be cautious. Im able to do what I need to anyway with it as is. Mostly I want to get it upgraded in hopes of maintaining root on the device, and I would very much like working CWM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoSudo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2012, 06:52 AM   |  #25  
Flag Upland, CA
Thanks Meter: 423

1,822 posts
More
Yay! I successfully update busybox using the Jrummy version and ran the script and it worked. Watched my first clip on hulu. Thanks.

After updating busybox, root access still seems fully functional and I can still mount system as rw/ro in root explorer. So all is good.

Anything else I need to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Joecascio2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2012, 10:46 PM   |  #26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalifornia

188 posts
Quote:

Yay! I successfully update busybox using the Jrummy version and ran the script and it worked. Watched my first clip on hulu. Thanks.

After updating busybox, root access still seems fully functional and I can still mount system as rw/ro in root explorer. So all is good.

Anything else I need to do?

Nope, you shouldnt need to do anything else. Sounds like Hulu is working for you now.

If you would like the script to run automatically you can install Script Manager from the Market. Im currently using it, and have the script setup to run at boot as su. This way I never have to go run the script manually. I just watch hulu when I feel like it, and if I see a message about an Adobe Flash update I either restart my device, or run the script manually to create an updated mod file and poof hulu support all the time automatically.

Otherwise if you prefer you can just run the script to copy the modified file over when you feel like watching hulu and leave it at stock the rest of the time. Again Script Manager is nice for this too because it allows you to make an icon on the home screen of your tablet that launches the script like an app.

Here is a link to Script Manager
Last edited by NoSudo; 30th March 2012 at 10:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoSudo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2012, 01:02 AM   |  #27  
Flag Upland, CA
Thanks Meter: 423

1,822 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSudo

Nope, you shouldnt need to do anything else. Sounds like Hulu is working for you now.

If you would like the script to run automatically you can install Script Manager from the Market. Im currently using it, and have the script setup to run at boot as su. This way I never have to go run the script manually. I just watch hulu when I feel like it, and if I see a message about an Adobe Flash update I either restart my device, or run the script manually to create an updated mod file and poof hulu support all the time automatically.

Otherwise if you prefer you can just run the script to copy the modified file over when you feel like watching hulu and leave it at stock the rest of the time. Again Script Manager is nice for this too because it allows you to make an icon on the home screen of your tablet that launches the script like an app.

Here is a link to Script Manager

Thanks all good then. I just added a shortcut to run the script when I want too. That way it doesn't run on startup. I don't like when apps do.

1st April 2012, 02:16 PM   |  #28  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 26

78 posts
More
Thumbs up
Worked very well, thank you. Checked an episode on Hulu, with Dolphin browser, and it played fine.

The phone is Samsung Galaxy S 4G, rooted and unlocked, running stock Gingerbread with a slightly modified stock kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to g4ry12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2012, 04:25 PM   |  #29  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 4

148 posts
More
Works Great, crashes on Full screen mode in most browsers though
This works for Amazon Prime Instant Videos as well... just an FYI!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcallibur For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2012, 05:26 PM   |  #30  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 26

78 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcallibur

Works Great, crashes on Full screen mode in most browsers though

No crashes in full screen for me.

Actually, this mod works better than all other versions I've tried before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcallibur

This works for Amazon Prime Instant Videos as well... just an FYI!

Good to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to g4ry12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread