Well, it looks like I hit the jackpot. I'll outline what I've done today, because I'm not sure if your setup will be anything at all like mine.
The phone came brand new, so there was no need to flash to the stock ROM. I started with the instructions for updating to the ROM with REV.A and GPS from Sprint:
Credit for that one goes to TheChampJT for his Vogue Tips thread:
I've got a Sprint Vogue, so I basically followed the instructions from 1 to 10. The wording regarding running Cokeman's unlocker was a bit vague- after you're on the tri-color screen, you DO need to remove and replace the USB cable (as the DOS window will tell you) but you DON'T need to reboot the phone and reconnect to ActiveSync.
Anyway, once that was all done I tested my internet connection via ActiveSync (I don't have a data plan). Interestingly, it works under XP, but does NOT work under Vista. I've yet to figure out why, though it isn't super important at the moment. I decided to use VetVito's V2.0 Kitchen to build a custom ROM, rather than use one of the ones in that tutorial. It was pretty easy and quick. Once that was flashed, I ran the Sprint DCD carrier cab and installed TomTom Navigator 7. This is the part you're probably interested in.
When I launched it, I got "No GPS" also. On the Satellite screen, it didn't show a single one. So, I did the following:
Originally Posted by pjrey
I modified the registry using PHM Registry Editor, which can be found here:
I then installed the AstroGPSLauncher, which you can get from this thread, among other places:
I did use the SKShortcutManager mentioned in that thread, along with the instructions provided there. Pretty straightforward.
Then I fired up TT7, and... nothing. It said "Poor GPS Reception", but still didn't show a single one connected, locked on or otherwise. I soft rebooted, and took a walk around the block. (It was COLD out tonight!) Sure enough, after a few seconds, I showed 10 connections. It wasn't locked on, but it was trying. I watched it for about five minutes or so, until my girlfriend called. I figured then would be as good a time as any to figure out how to multitask with the phone, so I took the call while allowing the satellites to keep trying to connect.
I'm not certain of the exact length of time, but approximately five to ten minutes later it was locked to 5 satellites! I don't have great reception where I am (lots of houses with lots of wifi and satellites and other invisible noise) but it stayed connected to between 3 and 5 birds for the entire call (switched to speakerphone so I could watch
) and even now inside my house, I'm still connected.
Aaaaaanyway, my guess is that the registry tweak and using Astro were the bits that made it work. You're mileage may vary... keep in mind I'm about as big of a noob as you can be, having had this phone now for about ten hours. But it looks like a bit of research, luck, and help from the awesome folks here and at PPCGeeks is all you need. Unfortunately, if my method doesn't work, I don't think I'll be much help with troubleshooting. But give it a shot (the registry tweak and launcher) and let us know how it goes!