5,596,128 Members 33,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Underclocking not effecting battery life?

Tip us?

Apk07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Question [Q] Underclocking not effecting battery life?

I thought I would try CPU Master Free to underclock as I don't game or do anything CPU-intensive often, and I don't really notice much change. I have it set to 800mhz max, set at boot, and it doesn't seem to have improved overall battery. Am I doing something wrong? Is it moreso a voltage thing?

brooksyx
Old
Thanks Meter 469

DONATE TO ME
There are so many different things that effect battery life. The cpu might have not been sucking down that much juice as it is. Could be your screen, brightest, an app in the background, etc that's giving you bad battery life.
Boost & Virgin Mobile Epic 4g Touch CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post28439426
Virgin Mobile Epic 4g CM7 & CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post22403917
Coug Companion App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aC55a3lhY3ciXQ..

new57
Old
Thanks Meter 3
What did it for me was setting the cpu idle setting in juice defender ultimate to 500mhz, with ondemand.

I guess you can use any program, but this was the setting that finally gave me all day battery life.

NoSpamDan
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by new57 View Post
What did it for me was setting the cpu idle setting in juice defender ultimate to 500mhz, with ondemand.

I guess you can use any program, but this was the setting that finally gave me all day battery life.
What ROM are you running? I read on the Calk forum that in FC24 he removed the Tegrak power saving settings because the phone likes to lock up below 800 MHz on ICS.

Apk07
Old
(Last edited by Apk07; 2nd April 2012 at 06:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Speaking of which, it seems opening my camera freezes the whole phone now. I wonder if thats related...

Edit: Set it back to 1200mhz max, and the camera works fine again -_-

NoSpamDan
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apk07 View Post
Speaking of which, it seems opening my camera freezes the whole phone now. I wonder if thats related...

Edit: Set it back to 1200mhz max, and the camera works fine again -_-
The release notes here for Calk's v1.3a mention that he removed the 800 MHz underclocking due to a kernel issue.

Apk07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpamDan View Post
The release notes here for Calk's v1.3a mention that he removed the 800 MHz underclocking due to a kernel issue.
Ah. I'm running the FC22 repack, not FC24. Guess it happens on all the kernels thus far

NoSpamDan
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apk07 View Post
Ah. I'm running the FC22 repack, not FC24. Guess it happens on all the kernels thus far
Yes, I believe that. Calk didn't say new kernel issue... I think it is ICS in general.