Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Quad Cores on HOLD for the US (AT&T).

OP Orical

1st April 2012, 11:09 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 730

2,166 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1

Quad-core Snapdragons were not on the market yet (and you can see that there are no devices with those scheduled to arrive at the time of release for One X/S), thus they couldn't be utilized, making your point void. AFAIK, Qualcomm's competitor to T3 is dual-core S4, and this is what the device manufacturers will be choosing from, until the quad-core phone-oriented S4 will arrive. The current 8064 is not suggested for LTE phone configuration - read this article, it'll help to understand, why:
http://gigaom.com/mobile/qualcomm-no...ething-better/

The carriers had their choice, and chose what they thought would suit them the best, considering the time-to-market, the potential performance/battery life differences etc. That some journalist thinks their choice was wrong - doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

Obviously there's a miss communication on how marketing works here, even though they may not have had the option previously doesn't mean they don't have it now. Point is valid. Now that I think of it the Snapdragons have been around for the minimum of a year and the Tegra have been used for twice that and if you read the what you posted it doesn't say the tegra cant do it but it states that it would do it poorly draining battery. I agree with you on that but your missing my point entirely which is with the options they have their going to use other reasons to charge the consumer for over looked issues they can and have the ability to change now.

And another thing though it seems to be old news too you others still have yet to see it, this is why people don't post anything they read anymore because some people have no problem trying to shoot down anything posted before a discussion actually produces anything constructive.
Last edited by Orical; 1st April 2012 at 11:20 PM.
1st April 2012, 11:33 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 955

4,314 posts
More
Either I don't understand what you're talking about, or you don't understand how the market works - and I'm leaning for the 2nd option. For marketing to have something to show off and plan on, you have to have the actual HW (phone, that is) in the final readiness stage, which means that the HW has been developed for at least 1/2 year ahead of that time. 1 year from CPU manufacturing to phone sales is very good, 9 months is INCREDIBLY OUTSTANDING. Having the CPU ready at point X in time doesn't mean it can be used at that point - it means it can be used at the very least 9 months from that point. There are NO other phones and NOTHING to choose from 9 months ago - but the 2 choices you see now. The only other choice would be to skip international phone launch and wait until either T3+LTE modem combo of some kind is made functional (which could be already done, but we're talking 9 months time ahead, yes?), or to wait until Qualcomm prepares its quad-core for phones (which could also be already done, but again, 9 months ago it wasn't). So, let's see, what would you choose - participate in worldwide launch and use an equally powerful (if not even more powerful) version of the phone sporting LTE support to boot, which nobody else gets, or skip the launch. Oh well, let me think, a very hard choice, is it.

What also causes me to doubt you know what you're talking about, is the fact that Snapdragon-based phones have been around Android since Jan 2010 (Nexus One), and Tegra chipset saw first wide use only in its 2nd version, in Jan 2011 (Optimus 2X), a year later, and a couple more months till it was officially available in US. So it's actually 2 years of VERY widespread use for Snapdragon vs 1 year of spotty use (more tablets than phones - barely 2 phones or so, Atrix and Optimux 2X) for Tegra 2. Just the opposite of what you wrote.

For having smart discussions, there is a small prerequisite - both sides should know what they're talking about quite well. On this board, such a situation is rarely encountered. So sometimes it's better that people don't just run here posting everything they saw somewhere on the internet - especially if it's a 2nd-grade non-professional article in "business" section of some newspaper, and not a professional analysis article on one of the dedicated HW and Android-related sites.
Last edited by Jack_R1; 1st April 2012 at 11:44 PM.
2nd April 2012, 12:17 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 730

2,166 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1

Either I don't understand what you're talking about, or you don't understand how the market works - and I'm leaning for the 2nd option. For marketing to have something to show off and plan on, you have to have the actual HW (phone, that is) in the final readiness stage, which means that the HW has been developed for at least 1/2 year ahead of that time. 1 year from CPU manufacturing to phone sales is very good, 9 months is INCREDIBLY OUTSTANDING. Having the CPU ready at point X in time doesn't mean it can be used at that point - it means it can be used at the very least 9 months from that point. There are NO other phones and NOTHING to choose from 9 months ago - but the 2 choices you see now. The only other choice would be to skip international phone launch and wait until either T3+LTE modem combo of some kind is made functional (which could be already done, but we're talking 9 months time ahead, yes?), or to wait until Qualcomm prepares its quad-core for phones (which could also be already done, but again, 9 months ago it wasn't). So, let's see, what would you choose - participate in worldwide launch and use an equally powerful (if not even more powerful) version of the phone sporting LTE support to boot, which nobody else gets, or skip the launch. Oh well, let me think, a very hard choice, is it.

What also causes me to doubt you know what you're talking about, is the fact that Snapdragon-based phones have been around Android since Jan 2010 (Nexus One), and Tegra chipset saw first wide use only in its 2nd version, in Jan 2011 (Optimus 2X), a year later, and a couple more months till it was officially available in US. So it's actually 2 years of VERY widespread use for Snapdragon vs 1 year of spotty use (more tablets than phones - barely 2 phones or so, Atrix and Optimux 2X) for Tegra 2. Just the opposite of what you wrote.

For having smart discussions, there is a small prerequisite - both sides should know what they're talking about quite well. On this board, such a situation is rarely encountered. So sometimes it's better that people don't just run here posting everything they saw somewhere on the internet - especially if it's a 2nd-grade non-professional article in "business" section of some newspaper, and not a professional analysis article on one of the dedicated HW and Android-related sites.

Wow how's that high perception of yourself. Im actually surprised how easy it is for you to judge a top paid news publicist. I'll just leave the rest for you to continue your rant on how well educated you are and how well business does for you.

I'm not some kid with nothing better to do than sit around and rant, I saw the post which I placed as a reason to see what people thought, it shows the type of people that come on line though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Orical For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2012, 12:19 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 955

4,314 posts
More
"Top paid publicist" is paid to make news items, not objective analysis. Objective analysis mostly doesn't interest people, it doesn't play with their emotions (which is usually a prerequisite for creating interest). To make interesting news, you need to forcibly inflate just about any issue you're writing about, in such way that would steer people's emotions. This is exactly what you're seeing in the newspaper.

And yes, being a "top paid engineer" that happens to work in this industry, makes you kinda judgmental. I understand that you don't have valid arguments left. OK then.
Last edited by Jack_R1; 2nd April 2012 at 12:21 PM.
2nd April 2012, 04:24 PM   |  #15  
Flag Schaumburg
Thanks Meter: 100

355 posts
More
hmm tmo updated their account app to support android 4.0
I2IEAILiiTY
2nd April 2012, 05:01 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangincrazy

hmm tmo updated their account app to support android 4.0

Lol, old news. I said this in one of the dev threads about a week ago. This means some device, whether it's the sensation about to update or the one s is about to come out on T-Mo soon, will give us official ICS on T-Mo, meaning we're going to get wifi calling for ICS finally.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread