Did anyone notice lack of gpu acceleration with aosp ics builds?

Search This thread

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
I tried the two aosp ics builds before reverting to el29 stock modded by Calkulin.
Both CM9 and Codename Android were much laggier and slower than either el29 or FC ics builds by Samsung.

It appears that Samsung code uses gpu hardware acceleration much more efficiently than generic AOSP builds. At first, I thought it was going to be kernel dependent, but after using FC rogue kernels, I still the same slowdowns and jerkiness in the aosp builds.

So, what gives? What is Samsung/Sprint doing that is different from aosp acceleration by google?

jamesey

Aug 1, 2006
I tried the two aosp ics builds before reverting to el29 stock modded by Calkulin.
Both CM9 and Codename Android were much laggier and slower than either el29 or FC ics builds by Samsung.

It appears that Samsung code uses gpu hardware acceleration much more efficiently than generic AOSP builds. At first, I thought it was going to be kernel dependent, but after using FC rogue kernels, I still the same slowdowns and jerkiness in the aosp builds.

So, what gives? What is Samsung/Sprint doing that is different from aosp acceleration by google?

What are you talking about? the hardware acceleration is for the browser. Run browsermark on GB than ICS aosp or not ICS rules the roost

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
What are you talking about? the hardware acceleration is for the browser. Run browsermark on GB than ICS aosp or not ICS rules the roost

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Browser in Codename and CM9 is much jerkier than in official Sprint/Samsung builds.
Everything appears to be faster in those.

DaKlown

Jul 22, 2010
Atlanta
There is no source code available yet for the kernels right now. The "FC rogue kernels" that you are basing your opinion off of are just repacks which means they are just the stock kernel with a customer recovery added so people can still flash zips files and make backups. Also cm9 alpha and codename both run pretty smooth on this phone especially for a rom in alpha status... I'm hoping that you are not considering them slow because the FC builds scroll really really fast because that is not hardware acceleration nor a feature... its a bug due to touch lag.

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
There is no source code available yet for the kernels right now. The "FC rogue kernels" that you are basing your opinion off of are just repacks which means they are just the stock kernel with a customer recovery added so people can still flash zips files and make backups. Also cm9 alpha and codename both run pretty smooth on this phone especially for a rom in alpha status... I'm hoping that you are not considering them slow because the FC builds scroll really really fast because that is not hardware acceleration nor a feature... its a bug due to touch lag.

1) "FC rogue kernels" were supposed to increase performance, since they were stock Samsung/Sprint based. But they don't. Aosp builds are very jerky and laggy in terms of scrolling on my phone with those.
2) Sorry, those CM9 and Codename run very poorly compared to - a) ICS touchwiz in ics leaks, 2) Nova launcher in ics leaks. Any other combination runs jerky.

This means that
1) aosp with any combination of launchers doesn't use gpu acceleration (or any similar effect).
2) Only touchwiz or nova launcher with ics Samsung leaks use the gpu acceleration.

---also, since the FC kernels don't provide any benefits to aosp builds, it is not the kernels that provide the benefit, but rather the rom build apps. And only Samsung/Sprint build ones.
--- Nova Launcher, in this particular case, uses gpu acceleration of the mali gpu of the exynos processor, unlike aosp build launchers. That's what the results indicate.

DaKlown

Jul 22, 2010
Atlanta
1) "FC rogue kernels" were supposed to increase performance, since they were stock Samsung/Sprint based. But they don't. Aosp builds are very jerky and laggy in terms of scrolling on my phone with those.

Increase performance how? Its a repack.... not much you can do without the source except maybe add a few simple scripts here and there? The purpose of the FC Repacks has been just what I said. To give people a custom recovery option. The "FC rogue kernels" are not based on the stock kernel. It is the stock kernel with a custom recovery, Bootanimation Support, and Init.d Support.

I haven't experienced This "jerkyness" that you speak of on any AOSP roms on this phone. I don't use Nova though I use Apex launcher.

Reactions: Nukie_Freak

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
Increase performance how? Its a repack.... not much you can do without the source except maybe add a few simple scripts here and there? The purpose of the FC Repacks has been just what I said. To give people a custom recovery option. The "FC rogue kernels" are not based on the stock kernel. It is the stock kernel with a custom recovery, Bootanimation Support, and Init.d Support.

I haven't experienced This "jerkyness" that you speak of on any AOSP roms on this phone. I don't use Nova though I use Apex launcher.

Increase performance due to Samsung optimization over aosp kernels. What else did you think, some magical kernel?

If you haven't experiences "jerkiness". you are either a @#$@#$ or a #$@#$1234. Take your pick.

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
You're conclusion doesn't make that much sense. We currently don't have an aosp ics kernel. It's the stock Samsung one ductaped together with the aosp roms. I personally have not noticed the increased jerkyness either. Code name feels smoother to me, with cm9 and touchwiz about tied. I know gpu acceleration is working though because I use dolphin browser and it sure is a lot smoother than when I used it in gingerbread.

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
You're conclusion doesn't make that much sense. We currently don't have an aosp ics kernel. It's the stock Samsung one ductaped together with the aosp roms. I personally have not noticed the increased jerkyness either. Code name feels smoother to me, with cm9 and touchwiz about tied. I know gpu acceleration is working though because I use dolphin browser and it sure is a lot smoother than when I used it in gingerbread.

Look forget anything I said about kernels. **** them, alright?

AOSP roms are goddamn choppy as hell compared to samsung leaks. That means aosp builds don't utilize samsung hardware to its full potential.
Is this clear enough for you?

slick4mitch

Oct 11, 2009

AOSP roms are goddamn choppy as hell compared to samsung leaks. That means aosp builds don't utilize samsung hardware to its full potential.

I think you are right, I tried CM9 for 2 days and I can feel the lag, also with the ICS leaks but with GB everthing just flies, so I say this GB FTW! ;)

Reactions: ffolkes

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
I think you are right, I tried CM9 for 2 days and I can feel the lag, also with the ICS leaks but with GB everthing just flies, so I say this GB FTW! ;)

The touchwiz launcher and the nova launcher were nearly as smooth for me in ICS leaks as a touchwiz gb launcher. Also, the browser in ICS leaks is just as smooth as the one in GB, while the aosp browsers were really really choppy in both scrolling and zooming.
Does that sound about right?

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park

I think what he was trying to tell you is "Obvious fact is obvious. You're comparing apples to oranges, thanks for another pointless thread".

AsinX

Jan 27, 2011
Miami
we have no source code for ICS roms so how are you gonna compare them to super tweaked GB roms that we do have source for? Cant make performance changes without source code.

Reactions: Nukie_Freak

locoboi187

Aug 5, 2010
I think once we have source AOSP roms will be a bit smoother :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Ophois

Sep 2, 2010
Elizabethtown
I don't understand what you're talking about...CM9 Alpha 2 here and everything is butter smooth.

daneurysm

Jun 13, 2010
I don't understand what you're talking about...CM9 Alpha 2 here and everything is butter smooth.

This.

ICS leaks felt jerky as hell to me...especially because of the touch lag. CM9 is so much smoother ...YMMV of course.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

we have no source code for ICS roms so how are you gonna compare them to super tweaked GB roms that we do have source for? Cant make performance changes without source code.