Ask a question

No registration required

HTC Vivid Screen Take Apart Repair Guide

OP repairsuniverse

4th April 2012, 09:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 757

624 posts
You can safely and quickly replace the damaged part of your HTC Vivid by simply following this written repair guide. It will walk you through to fully disassemble and replace such as cracked glass touch screen digitizer, damaged LCD display and all internal components.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC Vivid part(s):
  • HTC Vivid Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement White
  • HTC Vivid Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement Black
  • HTC Vivid LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips (For Touch Screen Replacements)
  • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC Vivid take apart/repair guide:
  • In order to disassemble HTC Vivid, first of all you need to remove the back cover, the battery, and the sim and memory card.
  • Using the Small Philips screwdriver, remove the six (6) screws as shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1
  • Then remove charging port connector cover and gently pry up the connector. This is a simple "pop" connector.
  • Use a safe open pry tool to carefully pry the back housing from the rest of the phone. Work your way around the edges, as shown in Figure 2.

Figure 2
  • Remove the vibrator motor from the housing and carefully disconnect it, as shown in orange on Figure 3.
  • Remove the six (6) small Phillips screws on the motherboard, as shown in red in Figure 3.
  • Pry up to release battery tray.
  • Remove the two (2) silver small Phillips screws still holding the motherboard in place as shown in yellow.

Figure 3
  • On the lower section of the motherboard there will be two (2) pop connector located on the under side. Carefully lift the board and release these cables
  • Release the clips holding the upper part of the motherboard in place. Gently fold the motherboard and motherboard flex over to the right.
  • You can now remove the one "jaw" connector and remove the full motherboard assembly.
  • Remove mylar tape holding the touch screen flex cable in place. Gently fold this away from the device.
  • Heat the screen with hair dryer or hear gun on medium heat for 45-60 seconds to warm the adhesive holding the touch screen in place.
  • Use a safe open pry tool to carefully run along the edges, releasing the adhesive. Be careful not to go too deep into the device.

Figure 4
  • Reheat if needed.
  • Fully remove the screen from the rest of the device.
  • Remove or peel back the outer adhesive on the LCD screen.
  • Heat the back of the screen assembly to loosen the adhesive holding the LCD screen in place.
  • You can now pry the LCD screen out of the device and replace either screen.

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2012, 09:46 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

624 posts
Info 2
You can find a downloadable version of the HTC Vivid screen repair which may make it easier for some people to print out and use while preforming a screen repair, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2012, 11:02 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag RSM
Thanks Meter: 2,606

2,978 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yeah...the vivid is surprisingly easy to take apart...did it months ago to change the color of my capacitive button lights

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
11th September 2012, 07:22 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

624 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2195

Yeah...the vivid is surprisingly easy to take apart...did it months ago to change the color of my capacitive button lights

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Glad you found it useful.
23rd September 2012, 08:52 PM   |  #5  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 238

1,128 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for sharing!

haha same what color did you change yours to .?
24th September 2012, 12:59 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag RSM
Thanks Meter: 2,606

2,978 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSHaDoWxSLaYeRxX

haha same what color did you change yours to .?

I was gonna go red but I ended up with green :P thought it would look better on the long run

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
24th September 2012, 07:49 PM   |  #7  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 52

546 posts
More
Excellent. I may have to use this guide to clean out the dust that got under my screen

Sent from my HTC-X710a using xda premium
29th September 2012, 06:05 AM   |  #8  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 238

1,128 posts
More
Quote:

I was gonna go red but I ended up with green :P thought it would look better on the long run

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Haha I went with red cx

Sent from my HTC Pyramid using xda app-developers app
21st November 2012, 10:43 PM   |  #9  
houston
Thanks Meter: 9

70 posts
More
not fully functional digitizer
Hey ,

i used your guide step by step and once i put the vivid back together and booted the digitizer is not 100% functional. I get partial response

any thoughts ?
21st November 2012, 10:52 PM   |  #10  
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 15

86 posts
More
That happened to me with an HTC Sensation. I would get weird touch screen issues like it would lose track of my fingers halfway up the screen I tore the ribbon on the digitizer I didn't even notice

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

The Following User Says Thank You to jbplumbing.ca For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc, repair, screen assembly, screen repair, vivid
Previous Thread Next Thread