Xoom Video Conversion

OP stevefxp

3rd April 2012, 11:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

486 posts
Hello all,

I have begun to convert some avi files I have, so they can run on my Xoom. At present I am using Imtoo Video Converter 7 with the Xoom H.264 profile. What I am seeing is that the size of the converted video is approximately 3 times larger than the original avi. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve
4th April 2012, 07:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag N. Cal
Thanks Meter: 24

194 posts
Donate to Me
Why bother?

Use MX Player Pro and it plays AVI fine. In fact, I stream this from my NAS and play all kinds of video formats using MX Player Pro.

No conversion needed.

There are many video players as well.
4th April 2012, 08:12 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 82

568 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefxp

Hello all,

I have begun to convert some avi files I have, so they can run on my Xoom. At present I am using Imtoo Video Converter 7 with the Xoom H.264 profile. What I am seeing is that the size of the converted video is approximately 3 times larger than the original avi. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve

Here is Moto's guidelines on formats and rates supported.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...video-settings

I use MX Player Pro and am happy with it in general. But the Xoom is a little picky/sensitive to hi-rate files. I have a lot of high-rate MOV's that need to be downsized to to not stutter terrribly. Same for very hi-rate AVI's.
4th April 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 93

578 posts
Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve

Maybe the avi files are more compressed than what you're converting to. I use Rock Player it will play files that MX Player won't.
6th April 2012, 07:03 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Fontana, CA
Thanks Meter: 6,114

3,167 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by al mon

Why bother?

Use MX Player Pro and it plays AVI fine. In fact, I stream this from my NAS and play all kinds of video formats using MX Player Pro.

No conversion needed.

There are many video players as well.

+1 here. I use mx pro with MediaHouse to stream from my dlna server. Only problem is the high profile stuff. I have a massive collection of teh prawnz all in wmv and mx plays them nicely
12th April 2012, 03:49 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

10 posts
+1 for MX. Swipe to ff/rw was enough to get me to try it, the 3 decode options made me keep it. If a video won't play, long press on the file, and you can choose between hw/sw/sw fast decode. So far, I haven't found a video that fails all 3.
14th April 2012, 04:45 AM   |  #7  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 21

196 posts
More
Video Conversion
You want to convert videos use handbrake ( mac or pc ) . It's fast and makes great looking video , or use sb player on the device itself .
14th April 2012, 10:58 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 40

267 posts
More
Try The qq player meanwhile the mx player is Very good
17th April 2012, 06:04 PM   |  #9  
Flag Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks Meter: 33

90 posts
More
Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve

It is quite normal for re-encodes to end up bigger than the original due to it trying to up-scale the video/audio. Like others in the thread, i suggest using MX player for avi's (never had any problems with them,) or using Handbrake to downscale/re-encode/etc 1080i/p videos to something that the Xoom can handle easier. I have had problems with high resolution mkv's (even sometimes 720p) even in MX.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread