No registration required

HTC Flagship 2012 - HTC One X (Endeavor) - Tegra 3 - Mega Information Thread

OP hamdir

4th April 2012, 10:19 PM   |  #2991  
OP Recognized Contributor
Beirut
Thanks Meter: 14,289

21,801 posts
Ok this will post will carry my hands so ill update it as it goes, One X Grey version, software version 1.26.707.2 - Asian

Build and Construction

The first time you hold the device you are shocked, it feels absolutely incredible

It's incredibly slim and although i moved from the Desire HD it feels much more fitting in the hands, the curves, slimness and weight are just what shocks you and gives the pure quality feel, it feels like the perfect size for a phone i can't explain this enough

The rubbery back and front feel premium, the glossy sides are even great since they add the mix of all this material they just add to this masterpiece, it doesn't feel plastic at all, in fact the grey version suddenly makes perfect sense, it looks and feel like a metallic device from HTC thanks to its color, the micro grill holes are incredible they don't feel like holes as if they are not there as for the LED notification its not the usual behind the grill nonsense its actually one of the 1 pixels holes being lit

The buttons are not flushed like DHD nor extruded like Sensation, its just a bit over the edge just perfect, its plastic but like the glossy edges, it doesn't feel like it at all

finally the camera ring, its all about the camera, it adds the final icing on the cake, the brushed metallic camera is glossy sides, no red tints what so ever it just changes under different lighting, its slightly darker gun grey, the moment you look on it you know its metallic without the need to touch it, sadly its true the glass is almost flushed to the edges and hence at serious risk of scratshes, the DHD for instance was not flushed

HTC logo is also glossy metal

The phone feel very glued to the hand, the thinness and rubbery back allows you to maneuver it in your hands very easily, such as pressing the power button easily (let it slip for a bit and press the button, like i do with my DHD)

The screen feel is incredible it slides and slopes in maximum glamour and flows around the edge, its a trick however since there is a very fine metal frame surrounding the screen you just don't feel it on sides

The screen does flex if pressured hard, but its really very hard to see, its like less than a millimeter and its not affecting the screen in glitches or whatever, doesn't feel a fault at all

There was a flaw however in the unit i had, like a small one pixel line scratch on the top left corner seems behind the upper layer of the gorilla glass, I only see it when its turned on, another weird thing is shaking the device makes a weird moving part sound near the camera area but i don't thinks it's a problem, the unibody feels rock solid and there are no squeaks what so ever

as you can see i'm floored by the device look and feel and definitely going for the grey, its just amazing

Size

Coming from the Desire HD i had my worries about the size and to my surprise it feels actually a lot better than the DHD, its just so slim, feels so great in the hand and suddenly you start to change the way you work with it, you start using your second hand like you do on tablet but that actually because you are very comfortable with the way its held in your hand thanks, to the amazing slimness and weight, the weight is light and yet it feels rigid and quality

I know i'm repeating myself but really it makes no sense, when you use this phone, 4.7" suddenly becomes the standard size for a smartphone, HTC meant when they said feeling is believing

Audio & Beats

Speaker output was a lot better than the DHD but not amazing, its very loud but a little bit muffled plus bass is not so heavy, i suspect Sensation XL had better speaker quality

Headphones quality is another story the DAC included is certainly of high quality, I tried it you with the iPad earphones and was amazed by the sound output, really clean with excellent treble and bass, the select-able sound profiles are excellent such classical, dance, bass, beats and many more, it's good that you have many choices, all the different sound profiles plus beats, you also select the type of earphones used if different kinds of beats or the option for "other"

best bit they work globally in all apps, when they advertise beats they don't just mean the equalizer, it also mean your getting higher quality output

Screen

The screen has excellent black levels and also very bright, there is no barrier between you and the pixels, so you feel your touching and dealing with the pixels directly, view angles are perfect, excellent 60fps refresh rate with zero ghosting, i also checked color gradation and its seems great, some apps had the stair steps effect but turns out its the app fault, i always test cut the rope for this because the stairs effect is obvious on SGS2 and it was not present here, there was no visible grid or pattern in grey areas

the density is certainly retina level and feels printed, but its obvious there are some tweaks by HTC like digital sharpness, the iPhone has softer edges, while the One X everything is just razor sharp so you can still "feel" the digital nature of the image

Some reviewer complained about the cold calibration on the screen, well the unit i had was actually warm and on the yellow side which some getting used to if you are used to cold, but the color are vibrant

I have encountered no glitches with the screen, pressuring the sides showed no reactions and it had no yellow spots, again the only issue was a small one pixel line imperfection under the gorilla glass in the top left corner, but it's not bad enough to warrant a return

The touchscreen response was excellent and not once did the screen fail to respond, however the screen does get some heat

Glitches and observations

When i first turned on the device it was at low battery and seems the CPU speed was reduced, the folder pop were not animating so i guess it was on battery saving mode it the only time i noticed glitches, there were some green one pixel strips flickering when switching between home screen it was apparent in the HTC Album widget which had an empty black frame, it only appeared inside the black but then when i charged the phone, i no longer encountered it, since i only saw it at low battery it made me wonder wether it's linked to the companion core or battery saving mode

I did not encounter the other graphical corruption users are complaining from, i also never saw that glitch again for some reason seems linked to the charging

someone complained about the status bar glitch and its actually not a glitch simply when the app drawer is open the status bar turns from transparent to solid the change is abrupt and hence feel like a glitch, i tried to create the glitches in many areas like i saw in the videos including the camera including pushing on the screen edgets but nothing

Browser, WiFi and Google Play

I tried the browser included is the smoothest stock android browser i ever experienced and its actually zooming @ 60fps there are no stutters or lag, i tried it on the engadget desktop version, however it does take a split second to snap when the text reflowes and you see the rest of the page tiling very quickly, this is unlike my Desire HD which snaps in an instant however the browser itself is much smoother

A bit similar to the tiling effect in Opera mini

i tried Opera mobile and I was surprised to find it performs slower than the stock browser, however Opera Mini operates @ 60fps while ICS browser+ performed great just like the stock browser, they all have this split second delay to snap/tile the page, maybe because its running @HD and so many pixels to fill

I had zero of the reported touch screen issues during browsing the bottom menu bar problem in the PhoneArena review didn't occure no matter how hard i tried, maybe because i disabled three buttons HTC gestures in the settings?

Browsing on the One X is such a revelation i don't find any issue even the re-flow tile effect was not a bother since it happens so smoothly (very similar to opera mini), full desktop pages like engadget opens in a breath, i certainly noticed much faster page loading and WiFi performance than my DHD

I browsed through Google play in near instant, it actually made me wonder why it is slow on my Desire HD, maybe it's not well optimized and hence a faster processor is helping in this case

Speed, lag and memory management

Guess what! 3D widgets are still there! they are just reduced in Z depth but all the HTC widgets are still in 3D just a lot less pronounced, but yea we can definitely apply an ultra rosie patch on this thing if we want to lock 60fps on the sense launcher

In general the UI and Rosie are always running @ 60fps, i didn't encounter any pause or freeze despite how much i abused it, not once did the screen fail to respond, also going to the settings menu never resulted in a pause

However once you start juggling between different heavy apps and games, general UI start to lag a little like Android's usual ways, this is the usual memory management problem with Android with background apps consuming the memory and processor, especially since they conflict in their priority requests, this problem is further amplified by the fact that Sense launcher seems a little heavy and so i encountered lots of launcher reloads, again this is nothing new for me its just Android's usual BS, for those who don't know, it has to do with google default memory free values and priority groupings, some manufacturers solves this by adjusting those values or having light customization like Samsung did on the SGS2, HTC seems to be still struggling with this, lets hope they figure it out with an update

Its very easy to solve with scripts like Suprecharger, Supercharger will give proper priority and insure it never reloads it will also help you control how much apps are allowed to multitask and consuming memory, it will start closing background apps based on the least priority depending on the free memory values you set, its not a task shutter, it's a script that controls Android's low level mem free values and priorities, check the link in my signature to know more about this

In its current state the device had around 385MB freen when i closed all apps using the included task manager

Games

Gaming on this thing is it feels like you running a PC, the image is just too sharp and big its like looking at a PC high quality LCD screen

I tried Shine Runner which ran perfectly i went to the settings, maxed out the graphical settings and the frame rate didn't hitch, the water effects are really nice, this game didn't cause much heat

Glowball also ran perfectly but needs tilt calibration the moment you open it, frame rates are very good, its a very impressive demo that gives you a glimpse of the future of mobile, again it's like running on PC this demo really show offs the screen density, black levels and colors, Glowball definitely caused heavy heat

Shadowgun i didn't have time to download the THD version, i ran the all devices version which worked and i was really amazed by the texture resolution and frame rates until it crashed they now updated the THD version to support the One X

I tried Reckless racing 2 but it told me the device is not supported

Touch buttons and on screen menu button

I quickly got used to the lack of menu and started relying on the new placement, i didn't really mind the loss of this button, also the multitasking button is not useless it quickly got me accustomed to easier multi-tasking with this button, in fact the back button felt the least useful one

but yes the on screen menu that appears in legacy apps is non sense, especially when it appears on games and eats from screen space with no actual use! lets hope app devs and xda devs sort this out quickly

Video playback, charging and general comments

Video playback is just amazing on this thing, it just rock solid, it feels an impossible task to make a stutter in a video

Bluetooth can be enabled even if the phone is in airplane mode, WiFi seemed faster than my DHD, Storage USB transfer is incredibly fast

Something is broken with USB charging it's just so slow and seems to not charge when use the phone while charging, the wall charger needed around two hours to charge full, but its too early to judge since the battery didn't break in

For once an HTC device felt rock solid out of box, everything flows and work as it should without any non sense, everything open and run instantly, the camera app is incredibly responsive, installing APKs takes a fraction of the time it used to need on my DHD, it made my DHD feels so "unrefined", rock solid is the word here, like the iPhone effect you don't feel any inconsistency in the UI or that its about to collapse over itself but still in many areas its clear the software is still early and needs more optimization

I guess this solid feel and responsiveness i'm talking about is the best use of Tegra3

Camera

I didn't get the chance to try it in good light, it was very late at night with the corner spotlights in my living room, but yes some bad news i was not able to disable the digital processing on the image despite using sharpness -2 there are still a lot more treatment going on

I tried wide screen on/off and burst mode off, nothing changed you just can't control the noise management, in the old Sense there was an auto enhance option which is now gone, so yes the resultant image does feel less than the 8MP output i'm used to from my DHD, i took photo of my wall unit and its clear not much detail was being captured but again i was testing in bad light and i didn't have the chance to tweak or test more

The view finder and camera app are incredibly fast with instant response, the frame rate of view finder and video, was a little less since the light was low but a quick nudge down the exposure setting jumped the frame rate back to full even in 1080p video, the exposure reduction trick still works and in fact you don't loose much brightness with it even at exposure -2

Focusing and refocusing during videos happens in an instant and the camera app felt rock solid and impossible to make stutter in videos, its very hard to cause a motion blur due to the speedy shutter, burst mode works as it should but gave less number of images then the sound clicks hinted i guess because of the terrible light condition i was trying this camera with, the photos taken in burst are grouped alone inside the gallery

Intelligent Flash seemed to work as intended and very fast

HDR in low light indoor seemed slow and ineffective, the best bit about this camera is the interface and how responsive it is, i can only imagine great things in daylight, but the inability to disable whatever ImageSense is doing to the image was a disappointment

now for the worrying bit

Temperature

While charging on both USB and charger, the phone did get hot but within the normal acceptable range and like reported if you open a quad heavy app like glowball it does get hotter it was still acceptable and the heat is centered around the camera area and spreads around the frame

So i test this even further i removed it from the charger and tried glowball for a while it felt like the normal handheld consoles kind of heat, ie justified by heavy gaming but kind of worries you not to keep going and let it heat further

It does get very hot when you use the camera app and the screen brightness automatically jump to 100% it get very hot in the camera area, so much that i was a little annoyed, maybe the combination of T3 and the image sense chip are contributing to this

Screen brightness was at half during all this, but yes increasing the brightness also increases heat a little

Tegra 3 seems to be operating at its maximum thermal limits, i think we would be fooling ourselves if we thought this 4+1 SOC will operate cool when its built on 40nm process

I'm a little worried about this since users reported glitches appearing after few days but not at first use i hope it's not overheating causing damage to the chip but on the other hand permanent damage usually leaves the glitches for good they don't disappear like in the reported cases

One thing for sure if power management is not done right on this device i don't think it's well end well, maybe it needs a solution similar to the T Prime, where the quad mode runs at lesser clocks, i feel very disappointed that HTC didn't not give use control over power modes i think they wanted to maximum performance for the reviews, so lets hope an upcoming update will solve thermal issues and provide the user the choice like they do in their older phones, users who are going to root know that devs will soon have a hand in all this by having custom kernels and give you control

in XDA we usually install custom kernel and CPU governor to save as much battery as we can, governors like smartass2 tries to keep the CPU at low frequencies as much as possible some of us even down clock the CPU a little, we also reduce power values for the CPU, this device will certainly benefit from developers' kernel customization and improvements

People who can't live with a heating phone or root i suggest you hold your purchase until the situation clears out or start considering the One XL with its similar performing snapdragon4 at much smaller process, most this review will still apply on the One XL

-----

more soon
Last edited by hamdir; 5th April 2012 at 01:52 PM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to hamdir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2012, 10:22 PM   |  #2992  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 2,504

4,934 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdir

Ok this will post will carry my hands so ill update it as it goes, One X Grey version

Build and Construction

The first time you hold the device you are shocked, it feels absolutely incredible

It's incredibly slim and although i moved from the Desire HD it feels much more fitting in the hands, the curves, slimness and weight are just what shocks you and gives the pure quality feel, it feels like the perfect size for a phone i can't explain this enough

The rubbery back and front feel premium, the glossy sides are even great since they add the mix of all this material they just add to this masterpiece, it doesn't feel plastic at all, in fact the grey version suddenly makes perfect sense, it looks and feel like a metallic device from HTC thanks to it color, the micro grill holes are incredible they don't feel like holes as if they are not there as for the LED notification its not the usual behind the grill nonsense its actually one of the 1 pixels holes being lit

The buttons are not flushed like DHD nor extruded like Sensation, its just a bit over the edge just perfect, its plastic but like the glossy edges, it doesn't feel like it at all

finally the camera ring, its all about the camera, it adds the final icing on the cake, the brushed metallic camera is glossy sides, no red tints what so ever it just change under different lighting, its slightly darker gun grey, the moment you look on it you know its metallic without the need to touch it, sadly its true the glass is almost flushed to the edges and hence at serious risk of scratshes, the DHD was not flushed

The screen feel is incredible it slides and slopes in maximum glamour and flows around the edge, its a trick however since there is a very fine metal frame surrounding the screen you just don't feel it on sides

The screen does flex if pressured hard, but its really very hard to see, its like less than a millimeter and its not affecting the screen in glitches or whatever, doesn't feel a fault at all

as you can see i'm floored by the device look and feel and definitely going for the grey, its just amazing

the rest of my comments are coming up, but i can tell you quickly definitely the software has issues

ahhh i love you

*need-to-get-home-to-feel-my-own-grey-one-x *
4th April 2012, 10:23 PM   |  #2993  
Thanks Meter: 6

129 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMio

You could wait for the next 2 - 3 years. This phone is so amazing, I can't get my fingers off it. D:

I'm not going to be waiting for long though as I have my money ready to buy it unlocked just wanted to see some user reviews instead of sites who review them in favour to if they like HTC as a company or not.

4th April 2012, 10:24 PM   |  #2994  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 2,504

4,934 posts
Donate to Me
More
You guys will get HD pictures of a grey one when i get mine in 7 days
4th April 2012, 10:29 PM   |  #2995  
Thanks Meter: 6

129 posts
Quote:

Ok this will post will carry my hands so ill update it as it goes, One X Grey version

Build and Construction

The rubbery back and front feel premium, the glossy sides are even great since they add the mix of all this material they just add to this masterpiece, it doesn't feel plastic at all, in fact the grey version suddenly makes perfect sense, it looks and feel like a metallic device from HTC thanks to it color, the micro grill holes are incredible they don't feel like holes as if they are not there as for the LED notification its not the usual behind the grill nonsense its actually one of the 1 pixels holes being lit

finally the camera ring, its all about the camera, it adds the final icing on the cake, the brushed metallic camera is glossy sides, no red tints what so ever it just change under different lighting, its slightly darker gun grey, the moment you look on it you know its metallic without the need to touch it, sadly its true the glass is almost flushed to the edges and hence at serious risk of scratshes, the DHD was not flushed

There is a flaw however in my unit, like a small one pixel scratch on the top left corner seems behind the upper layer of the gorilla glas, cause i only see it when its turned on

the rest of my comments are coming up, but i can tell you quickly definitely the software has issues, please don't quote this post since ill be updating it

Thanks for the effort and comments about the device.

Even though many people like the white one I think the grey one is the right option for me too.

Looking forward to some video + pictures
4th April 2012, 10:36 PM   |  #2996  
Thanks Meter: 297

811 posts
Hamdir if your impressions are going to be so epic, can you either Add them to the OP or make a new thread your post will get lost in here
4th April 2012, 11:15 PM   |  #2997  
OP Recognized Contributor
Beirut
Thanks Meter: 14,289

21,801 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cafella

Hamdir if your impressions are going to be so epic, can you either Add them to the OP or make a new thread your post will get lost in here

just to clear few things up for you guys, this not my phone i only have it for tonight, i was still undecided for the color but now i am, grey and only grey

as for the impressions, ill keep updating the post once done ill add it to the OP

i already "myth busted" some of the bugs lol but yea software definitely buggy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamdir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2012, 11:18 PM   |  #2998  
Thanks Meter: 297

811 posts
Quote:

just to clear few things up for you guys, this not my phone i only have it for tonight, i was still undecided for the color but now i am, grey and only grey

as for the impressions, ill keep updating the post once done ill add it to the OP

i already "myth busted" some of the bugs lol but yea software definitely buggy

Glad to hear it, I wait for your full post eagerly
4th April 2012, 11:38 PM   |  #2999  
Thanks Meter: 107

837 posts
More
Here are my thoughts. Few comparisons to the Sensation.

Charged the phone up unpowered to green light, got 4hrs 32 mins, just under 3hrs screen time and 4% battery left = poor.

The phone itself is a thing of beauty.

It fits in the hand perfectly, it doesn't make your palm sweaty and it feels a lot lighter than the Sensation. The screen has a nice sheen to it so your finger doesn't stick to the glass if slightly damp, and no dust seems to get caught around the edge of the screen.

The viewing angles are perfect, I really couldn't ask for a nicer presentation from a screen. It has an almost paint like crispness to it often used in those marketing bullshots you get on HTCs site, finally they have a phone which does look this way. Nice crystal sharp icons and deep deep blacks. Looks like the GS II screen but with far higher res icons.

The camera is extremely slick. If you have ever had an iPhone, that out of the box point and snap experience is well and truly here, if anything the shutter speed is superior with decent quality pics.

A lot of the issues I had with the Sensation, even with custom roms, are not present here. Everythin feels fluid without delay, send a text message and its gone and a chat bubble is just instantly there.

The app tray itself feels to me better than vanilla ICS. (To me anyway) It's snappier, the animation is not as drawn out.

Another worthy mention is the sound quality throughout. Call quality, loudspeaker quality (VERY GOOD) and music is perfect.

It is just such a good phone.

My only worry right now is how the battery will pan out. If the 1.28 update and a break in period fixes this, then I will be over the moon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Hucksake For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th April 2012, 12:00 AM   |  #3000  
Thanks Meter: 318

830 posts
I've posted my short review of the device in the official review thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...556291&page=21

Feel free to read through it. I am going to sleep. So tired...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc one x, knowledge base, nvidia tegra 3, one x, performance, sense 4.x
Previous Thread Next Thread